What Would You Do With A $100 Car?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Give it to Adam Savage, to blow up on video.
banana2.gif

Looks like an average daily driver for the Cincinnati city dweller.

If I had to drive this thing, I'd tint all the windows so I couldn't be seen in it.
I'd also make sure all the lights worked, and I'd avoid driving it during the 'drunk people' hours of 11am-4am.

I have an old car that's worth about that much. Going to make sure it fails emissions and the state will buy it from me for $1,000 as long as it moves under its own power.

That car would cost more to register than what you paid for it.. so I suppose if in good running shape, which seems you got a killer deal on it since runs fine. I would sell it for a profit but if I needed another ride for around town, I would definitely keep it. With the cost to plate and insure it being much more than you paid for it, id sell it for a nice profit. You can easily get 500$ for it.. probably close to 1000$ based on your description of how it runs... If you can snag those for 100$... keep doing it and resell them for 1k... if you can flip one per month, up to an extra 900$ a month in revenue for you..

Last edited:
Race it - 24 Hours of LeMons or a local autocross race. The former would be fun - the car comes in well below the $500 limit. Just need to install a rollcage and most of the interior.
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: andyd
Where is this car now? Does the AC work? I know of Steve Lang from a time at TTAC. He and the old car hippy were interesting, the others, not so much.

That's me.

Originally Posted By: nthach
Race it - 24 Hours of LeMons or a local autocross race. The former would be fun - the car comes in well below the $500 limit. Just need to install a rollcage and most of the interior.
grin.gif

Yes this

It's a Saturn, so what I would do with it would be start saving several hundred dollars in order to fix the electrical problems that will plague it within a few hundred miles, and purchase an extra gallon of oil to top it off within a 3k mile OCI. Then, I would fix the dry rotted floorboard on the passenger side that all outside moisture seems to collect at. Also buy a few dozen Electronic Coolant Temperature Sensors that it blows through like a teenager mowing through a pack of Marlboro Reds. Also a couple of spare motor mounts. Finally, I would buy a couple of Fel-Pro valve cover gaskets because just one isn't enough to keep the oil from seeping through the edges.

Dood you obviously haven't run a car to near death and beyond. My last 50$ car coasted almost 2 miles after the engine quit from a massive overheat.
grin2.gif

watch the pick n pull yards and cl for 1 with the same color.
grab parts and fix it up in an evening.
then use(not me as i cannot seem to get in and out of a saturn without folding up like an accordion)or flip it.
i did this very thing to a low miles saturn that a dealer lied to the owner or was grossly incompetent.
replaced the coolant temp sensor and the fouled plugs.
paid $200 for it.what a dealer offered on trade in.
boy was he mad(at the dealer)when i had it running right that day.
the funniest part was listing on cl.
several good pics 1 showing the 3 pedals and stick yet i still got folks asking if it was an automatic!

Originally Posted By: Bgallagher
Originally Posted By: Claud
Drive it until it has a major component failure. You won't get cut up in traffic, nobody will steal it, and it's running costs won't include repayments.
smile.gif

Claud.

+1

It won't get stolen if you don't leave anything valuable in it, or if nobody needs it more than you do.

My first car cost $25. It was still running when I sold it about 4 years later for $15 plus $30 from the guy who lipped it when I was delivering it to the new owner. On a typical week I bought 10 gallos of gas and 10 quarts of oil (10 qt can). Carried a mason jar with a spout.

The replacement cost $50.

Originally Posted By: Dyusik
If no selling it for profit, this:

Must have been his getaway car. I notice he is wearing a prisoners uniform.

The sensible thing to do with a super inexpensive but running car is use it for transportation until it has a major component failure. I've had my eye on a 1999 Mitsubishi Mirage two door. Car looks terrible but it runs decent and has decent tires. I'll offer the young man $150 for the car.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back