Mercon LV alternatives

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hope you get positive results.

I looked at the licensed Castrol Transmax MV LV, it has the lowest reported PDS flash point of any of the licensed alternatives to Motorcraft Mercon LV I've seen so far at 177°C. That's 39°C / 70°F lower than Motorcraft Mercon LV and 43°C / 77°F lower than Kendall Versatrans LV. Based on this Castrol is at the bottom of my list for licensed alternatives to Motorcraft Mercon LV, and Kendall remains at the top of my list.

Also Walmart sells both a licensed Super Tech MV LV ATF and an unlicensed version. The Super Tech MV LV ATF produced by Warren is the legitimate stuff, and is available in both gallon jugs and quart bottles. This is in a blue plastic container with the Mercon LV license number printed on the back label (and Dexron VI license number inked on the bottle). The unlicensed ST MV LV ATF comes in silver plastic quart bottles and gallon jugs and has no license numbers on the label or container. Be careful to read the labels at Walmart.

The licensed ST MV LV ATF has a flash point of 201°C (looking at Mag 1) and $6 / qt. everday price so it's my second choince after Kendall Versatrans LV, especially if less than case quantities are needed. Pennzoil Platinum MVLV ATF ranks below ST but above Castrol on my list with its published flash point of 190°C.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: SilverFusion2010
I don't think it's a mechanical issue with the transmission. The rpm wiggle I'm seeing is maybe 100 RPM. I've seen shift flare before it was rebuilt under TSB and I think it's programmed behavior.

I've noticed that the AC compressor kicking in/out will screw up shifts. Something else to poke at.

I've noticed that with the AC as well....

A couple of comments: 1) Disconnect the battery for 30+ minutes. That makes the PCM "forget" the learned shift points and will start over or re-learn. 2) Run higher octane fuel, presuming you're not already. According to folks over at the 2G Fusion forum, the PCM will adjust shift points based on higher octane fuel as well. You don't have to run it permanently, just long enough to see if the behavior changes. If it does, it's a "software" issue, not a mechanical one.

Drained 4.5qt MaxLife atf, filled with 4.5qt motorcraft Mercon LV.

Took it in a short drive, shifts seem a hair crisper. I'll know more after tomorrow's commute. The drained fluid was dark red but still in good shape

Originally Posted By: hallstevenson
I don't think it's a mechanical issue with the transmission. The rpm wiggle I'm seeing is maybe 100 RPM. I've seen shift flare before it was rebuilt under TSB and I think it's programmed behavior.

I've noticed that the AC compressor kicking in/out will screw up shifts. Something else to poke at.

I've noticed that with the AC as well....

A couple of comments: 1) Disconnect the battery for 30+ minutes. That makes the PCM "forget" the learned shift points and will start over or re-learn. 2) Run higher octane fuel, presuming you're not already. According to folks over at the 2G Fusion forum, the PCM will adjust shift points based on higher octane fuel as well. You don't have to run it permanently, just long enough to see if the behavior changes. If it does, it's a "software" issue, not a mechanical one.

I may reset the computer Saturday if I'm not happy with the shift performance.

Higher octane does nothing for this engine and transmission. I have a 3.0L NA V6 and premium is just a waste of coin. Now if I had the 2.0L turbo things would be different.

...Higher octane does nothing for this engine and transmission. I have a 3.0L NA V6 and premium is just a waste of coin. Now if I had the 2.0L turbo things would be different.

When I had my '12 Mustang with the 3.7NA running premium netted a couple of MPG's and better throttle response. Running premium in my F150 significantly improves throttle response and low end but minimal improvement in MPG's. Ford does advertise these newer engines adapt to higher octane.

Originally Posted By: buck91
...Higher octane does nothing for this engine and transmission. I have a 3.0L NA V6 and premium is just a waste of coin. Now if I had the 2.0L turbo things would be different.

When I had my '12 Mustang with the 3.7NA running premium netted a couple of MPG's and better throttle response. Running premium in my F150 significantly improves throttle response and low end but minimal improvement in MPG's. Ford does advertise these newer engines adapt to higher octane.

I've tried it. No difference to the butt dyno. Steeda has a tune that makes another 20HP or so on 91 but factory didn't do anything. I ran 93 on a long trip and clocked MPG, ran 87 on the way back. Absolutely no difference except in the wallet.

This is a 2010. Last year they used this engine in production. They went to 2.0 ecoboost starting in 2011

Last edited:
Higher octane does nothing for this engine and transmission. I have a 3.0L NA V6 and premium is just a waste of coin. Now if I had the 2.0L turbo things would be different.

Ooops, yeah, that's likely the difference. The higher octane, while not required, can be "used" by the engine differently in the Ecoboost engines.

The drain and fill with motorcraft Mercon LV has cleaned up the shifts. No more wiggle. Just a nice smooth shift. It wasn't bad before but I'm really picky about how my machines perform.

Shifts have firmed up. Be wary of multi application fluids.

There is nothing to worry about if the multi-application fluid is Ford-approved, which many of them are
smile.gif

^^ Agreed. The Kendall Versatrans LV ATF I put in my wife's Mustang with 6R80 is working great, and is a licensed Mercon LV fluid as well as a licensed Dexron VI fluid, and is a full synthetic ATF.

I called XM and they don't have a Mercon LV. I don't trust Valvoline LV, so I will purchase MC LV next week at O'Briens and change the ATF out soon in my 2017 Fusion.

Originally Posted By: buck91

I've tried it. No difference to the butt dyno. Steeda has a tune that makes another 20HP or so on 91 but factory didn't do anything. I ran 93 on a long trip and clocked MPG, ran 87 on the way back. Absolutely no difference except in the wallet.

This is a 2010. Last year they used this engine in production. They went to 2.0 ecoboost starting in 2011

Actually, no. The 2012 was the last year of the 3.0 in the Fusion. 2013 was the first year they went to the 2.0 EB in the Fusion.

Thanks. I discovered that when I was looking up parts today.

For my model year though, I can confirm that 93 doesn't run any differently than 87. Unless you get a tune

Originally Posted By: Nyogtha
I hope you get positive results.

I looked at the licensed Castrol Transmax MV LV, it has the lowest reported PDS flash point of any of the licensed alternatives to Motorcraft Mercon LV I've seen so far at 177°C. That's 39°C / 70°F lower than Motorcraft Mercon LV and 43°C / 77°F lower than Kendall Versatrans LV. Based on this Castrol is at the bottom of my list for licensed alternatives to Motorcraft Mercon LV, and Kendall remains at the top of my list.

Also Walmart sells both a licensed Super Tech MV LV ATF and an unlicensed version. The Super Tech MV LV ATF produced by Warren is the legitimate stuff, and is available in both gallon jugs and quart bottles. This is in a blue plastic container with the Mercon LV license number printed on the back label (and Dexron VI license number inked on the bottle). The unlicensed ST MV LV ATF comes in silver plastic quart bottles and gallon jugs and has no license numbers on the label or container. Be careful to read the labels at Walmart.

The licensed ST MV LV ATF has a flash point of 201°C (looking at Mag 1) and $6 / qt. everday price so it's my second choince after Kendall Versatrans LV, especially if less than case quantities are needed. Pennzoil Platinum MVLV ATF ranks below ST but above Castrol on my list with its published flash point of 190°C.

I picked up a bunch of that synthetic Castrol at the AZ Clearance last year and planned on using it in my 2016 Esacpe since it is approved for Mercon LV.....does that low flashpoint really matter? (Obviously I wish the FP was the same as the others but I have no other use for the Castrol so I'll still run it but probably put in a bottle of LG Red).

I wonder why Castrol's FP is so low? Castrol's ATFs have always been top shelf products.

For $1 / qt. I'd use it no question. Just if I'm shopping even a 20% discount from AZ shelf price vs. lower cost for higher flash point is a nonstarter for me.

Since for licensed fluids the adfitive packages are fixed, the base stock is what's variable (except ATF+4 which is more restrictive than GM Dex VI and Ford Mercon LV). Thus variations in physical properties between brands for a given license are due to base stock used.

A lower flash point base stock indicates higher volatility, which is less of an issue in ATF than motor oil. I'm confident the Castrol material meets spec or it wouldn't be licensed. But if I can find a fluid whose test results exceed specs in the direction of quality for a lower cost, it indicates higher value to me. A small amount of light material can have a large effect on flash point in a mixture.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back