New to me 2008 Passat TSI 2.0

Status
Not open for further replies.
Picked it up on Monday, timing belt kit arriving next week, looking for a shop to do it, it just seems too time consuming for me to do on my days off. I'd like the clean the intake valves too, looking for updated suggestions on that. I also ordered Pentosin 5w40. I think it's going to be a champ for the next few years.

Last edited:
If it was my car, I would immediately change the timing belt, tensioner, and rollers along with the cam follower. Valve cleanings are conditional... Unless you want to do it for S's & G's.

...and a Unitronic "update" never hurt anybody.
wink.gif

Yes i want to line up the shop immediatly when the parts arrive. What's the Cam follower, and the Unitronic update? This is a 6 speed manual if Unitronic is for the transmission. I remember the geartronic updates for Volvo.

join VWVortex for great vag info, BITOG is good for oil recommendations though.

Originally Posted By: 79sunrunner
Yes i want to line up the shop immediatly when the parts arrive. What's the Cam follower, and the Unitronic update? This is a 6 speed manual if Unitronic is for the transmission. I remember the geartronic updates for Volvo.

The cam follower rides on a special cam lobe to actuate the high pressure fuel pump. It is a known point of failure and you will almost certainly find yours to be worn.

Unitronic makes performance "box tunes." $250 for Stage 1 takes you to 245hp/275tq.

Hey checking in again; I just noticed your first post said "TSI."

2008 is a switch over year, with both FSI amd TSI egines installed depending on the car and date of manufacturer.

If your engine is a TSI you have a timing chain and an improved fuel pump,among other various improvements.

I couldve swore it said TSI. IT is FSI. Here are some of the dealer pics.
2hmgi34.jpg

2lvkzra.jpg

33w2qt3.jpg

Thanks for all the advice! Its very appreciated. I hope it remains reliable without being too expensive. Parts are already a tiny bit cheaper than the Volvo, its also nicer to drive and much roomier. The dials are easier to see, the buttons are well layed out, but the stock radio is sub par. The engine sounds good for a family car, and the turbo is louder 😎 The 6 speed is very forgiving too. I believe it has electric power steering, i quite like it, you can go around tight corner with just a finger. Im looking forward to driving it every morning too, and thats really what matters for any car enthusiast, even though it is only a family sedan. Also, in 6th it only revs 2500 at 70mph. Quite low for a 2 liter engine, which is great.

Congrats on the purchase! A little bit more expensive to maintain, but you're rewarded with great driving dynamics. I'm on my second VW and contemplating replacing the Camry with a new Passat.

Originally Posted By: 79sunrunner
I couldve swore it said TSI. IT is FSI. Here are some of the dealer pics.
2hmgi34.jpg

2lvkzra.jpg

33w2qt3.jpg

Thanks for all the advice! Its very appreciated. I hope it remains reliable without being too expensive. Parts are already a tiny bit cheaper than the Volvo, its also nicer to drive and much roomier. The dials are easier to see, the buttons are well layed out, but the stock radio is sub par. The engine sounds good for a family car, and the turbo is louder 😎 The 6 speed is very forgiving too. I believe it has electric power steering, i quite like it, you can go around tight corner with just a finger. Im looking forward to driving it every morning too, and thats really what matters for any car enthusiast, even though it is only a family sedan. Also, in 6th it only revs 2500 at 70mph. Quite low for a 2 liter engine, which is great.

It doesn't look like a 2008 from the inside and outside. A 2008 interior trim would be a dark metallic gray "Rhodium" trim. On the outside, the base "turbo" trim would not have the 16" Catalunya wheels, it would be 16" Milaukee wheels.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back