Oil Change interval-mileage versus months?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My wife has a 2015 Subaru Forester (naturally aspirated, 4-cyl) that is driven only 4,500 to 5,000 miles per year. But it's driven at least 2x a week where the trip is 15 miles highway.

Subaru now specifies oil and filter (full synthetic) twice a year. Is this overkill (every 2500 miles for full synth oil + filter). It is out of warranty.

Thanks!

Out of warranty, I would go with once a year oil changes. I have two lightly driven trucks where I do this and the oldest has lasted only 21 years so far. You can always adjust if the usage goes up.

Run the oil for 8-9 months and perform a UOA. Then use that data to make a decision on whether 1 year is feasible.

Annual oil changes sounds about right.

Perhaps even bi-annual changes would be feasible with the right oil. Think Castrol EP or similar.

If you go for extended oil changes, do not neglect checking the oil level on a regular basis. Other than that, a yearly oil change is probably the right thing to do.

short trips can kill the oil especially in colder weather, it takes a good half hr drive to dry it out! you DO NOT need to have the dealer $$$$ do oil changes to protect your warranty!!! use spec oil + a good filter like wix aka napa gold + keep receipts + records. i change the oil in my aunts jeep every 6 months with pennzoil platinum usually less than 2,000 miles. many short trips to local stores, but oil is cheap if you intend to keep your ride a while, an independent can do your services as well prolly half the stealer cost

Subaru went to frequent oil changes when they realized:

(a) Doesn't cost them anything to recommend 6 month oil changes.
(b) It can prevent the notorious Subaru high oil consumption from killing an engine if they come in for an oil change.
(c) They can use lack of frequent oil changes as a way to deny engine warranty claims.

There is no downside in Subaru's view to frequent oil changes.
If you're not sure, just put in Mobil1 Extended Protection or Castrol Edge Extended Protection, with a Fram Ultra oil filter, check the oil level once a month, and leave it in for 1 year.

I agree with most. Use a synthetic oil and change once a year. Just check the oil level every month or 1000miles, which ever comes first.

Originally Posted By: Malo83
5K or twice a year is my interval regardless.

This is exactly what I do for all my vehicles. Always works out to less than 5K by the time six months rolls around.

It does make it easier to go one year in that model since its got an Oil Level Warning Light, in case you forget to check in time. Wish all cars had that, just in case.

Once a year is fine.
thumbsup2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back