What's the difference with Euro Spec oils?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My point was, for the best internal protection of a moving vehicle, I don't see why PAO based oils would fare worse than group III or GTL oils. It certainly does better in harsh environments.

Another reason for the extended OCIs on Euro vehicles is the cost of an oil change there.

I have a friend in Germany who has the exact same BMW as me. It costs him over $500 dollars to get an oil change at the dealer. For me to change my oil, using the exact same Castrol 0W40 and OE filter, costs me about $50.

Last edited:
Your friend is getting confused, I think. He gets a service from the dealer, including an oil change.

If you go in and specifically ask just for an oil and filter change you'll pay much less. 50 euro for mechanic's time (in an expensive country), + oil filter and oil. Well under 150 euro.

Originally Posted By: Jetronic
Your friend is getting confused, I think. He gets a service from the dealer, including an oil change.

If you go in and specifically ask just for an oil and filter change you'll pay much less. 50 euro for mechanic's time (in an expensive country), + oil filter and oil. Well under 150 euro.

That is just an oil and filter change.

Quote:
Thats why a oil change at a dealership runs about 360 euros((7@32 euros per liter of oil, 120 euros for one hour's labor and 14 euros for an oil filter).

That works out to $550 CAD.

He can get the same oil on sale for 21 Euro/L ($31 CAD/L) I can get that same Castrol Edge for $5 CAD/L.

Last edited:
I work at a dealer:

60 euro per hour, and you need to pay for less than half an hour...
we charge 15 euro per litre of oil (Castrol Magnatec MP 5w-30)

Oil filter will be application dependant but sounds about right.

Castrol edge 0w30 can be had for 8 euro per litre, not on sale... and genuine BMW oil is even cheaper:

https://www.motoroel100.de/epages/62593035.sf/de_DE/?ObjectPath=/Shops/62593035/Products/%22Motoren%C3%B6l%20BMW%205W-30%207X1L%22

Originally Posted By: Jetronic
I work at a dealer:

60 euro per hour, and you need to pay for less than half an hour...
we charge 15 euro per litre of oil (Castrol Magnatec MP 5w-30)

Oil filter will be application dependant but sounds about right.

Castrol edge 0w30 can be had for 8 euro per litre, not on sale... and genuine BMW oil is even cheaper:

https://www.motoroel100.de/epages/62593035.sf/de_DE/?ObjectPath=/Shops/62593035/Products/%22Motoren%C3%B6l%20BMW%205W-30%207X1L%22

Guess my friend is getting ripped off in Germany. :lol:

Last edited:
Those are pretty much MRRP: Manufacturer Recommended Retail Prices or "how to rip off your customers without it being obvious"...

The link I posted is from a German oil shop, who also sell online. I bought oil there once. It's not necessarily the cheapest, but it's not expensive either.

your friend is paying for convenience, I suppose.

But it's definitely true that our oil changes are more expensive than the jiffy lube prices (if your vehicle qualifies).

I had last two OC for 50 at friends independent shop. Vectra, 5 litre of Valvoline Synpower MST 5w40 35+ filter 5+ work 12 Euro. We are talking C3, MB229.51, LL-04 oil, not some iffy lube SN.

Punto, 4 litre of A3/B3, MB229.5, LL-01 was 20, filter 5, work 12= 37 Euro.

I understand that up north work hours are WAY more expensive, but still if main stealers are avoided it can be done for reasoning price. My German family pay around 80 for OC in local garage up there IIRC.

Originally Posted By: S50b32
kschachn said:
So which oil fares better in track use?

My race trace use shows that Ester base stocks tend to hold up better than PAO base stocks.
However, this is completely non-scientific as the only measurement I do is to look at the oil pressure gauge on the drive to the track and again on the drive home from the track.

Going to the track I see 78 PSI on the gauge invariably (new oil) at highway cruising speeds (55-60 MPH).
Coming back, I see 70-71 on PAO oils and 73 on Ester oils.
To me this indicates both oils have sheared in the 8500 RPM engine, esters not quite as much as PAOs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back