Any thoughts to a mobile app?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has the forum ever thought about a mobile app for the site?

Maybe using Tapatalk or something similar?

Be nice to be able to use the site other than at work. It's not good for my paycheck. :lol:

Oh please not tapatalk.. with its incessant whining for you to download the app and its weird mobile-optimized way of showing forums..

BITOG runs great on my devices because it has no fluff. You can easily browse/read/comment.

Originally Posted By: Reddy45
Oh please not tapatalk.. with its incessant whining for you to download the app and its weird mobile-optimized way of showing forums..

BITOG runs great on my devices because it has no fluff. You can easily browse/read/comment.

Pay the $5 for Tapatalk Pro and it is awesome.

Originally Posted By: mightymousetech
Originally Posted By: Reddy45

Pay the $5 for Tapatalk Pro and it is awesome.

Precisely. Why on earth would I pay for something that bugs me to use it in the first place? I'd rather use that money to donate to BITOG to help pay for its server costs.

I find the advertisements insulting, not interested in paying $5 to a company that shows Ads no one else will show.

Apps are by definition for high volume, so having an app for a niche website like BITOG is unlikely unless a member is an app writer.

Why must there be an app for something that works fine in a browser? I do not see the advantages.

Originally Posted By: Kuato
Apps are by definition for high volume, so having an app for a niche website like BITOG is unlikely unless a member is an app writer.

Why must there be an app for something that works fine in a browser? I do not see the advantages.

Trying to navigate the full site from my phone is a PITA, so I don't even bother.

I am on forums that are considerably smaller than BITOG, that just use Tapatalk. Forums with only 100 members even.

You would see a lot of:

Sent from my Samsung SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Please don't do that to the site, with the Tapatalk nonsense. Bad idea.

I almost always post on my phone, and the built in browser lets me use ad block which helps make it run very smooth and easier to navigate, although occassionaly it makes the posts the wrong resolution when viewing from a computer.

I find some of the forum's functions to work fine with my iphone 6s plus in vertical mode. Plus I'm not a huge fan of "web apps" when going to the mobile version on your phone's web browser works fine.

Originally Posted By: mightymousetech
Originally Posted By: Kuato

Trying to navigate the full site from my phone is a PITA, so I don't even bother.

I am on forums that are considerably smaller than BITOG, that just use Tapatalk. Forums with only 100 members even.

Thats because they are cookie cutter forums.. the giant mess run by verticalscope comes to mind.

You can make an app work with a forum of 100 people because there is really a million people on the same forum software

Yeah im pretty much an exclusive phone user and find the mobile tuned sites annoying and almost always leave mobile for the desktop version on my phone..

Originally Posted By: plaguef
You would see a lot of:

Sent from my Samsung SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Please don't do that to the site, with the Tapatalk nonsense. Bad idea.

You used to be a big proponent of tapatalk. What happened to change your mind?

Originally Posted By: Rand
Thats because they are cookie cutter forums.. the giant mess run by verticalscope comes to mind.

Who owns a site has nothing to do with it. It has to do with the forum software that's used and whether or not it has 'support' for app versions.

Originally Posted By: Kibitoshin
I find some of the forum's functions to work fine with my iphone 6s plus in vertical mode. Plus I'm not a huge fan of "web apps" when going to the mobile version on your phone's web browser works fine.

I use Chrome on an iPhone and this site doesn't even render a 'mobile-optimized' version. It looks exactly like it does on the phone as it does from a computer. Do you see a different design/layout ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back