No diesel in the Traverse yet

Status
Not open for further replies.
Curious why GM, in it's infinite wisdom, has chosen to not put a diesel in the Traverse.
Granted, the new 2018 look nice and are even larger with better gas mileage.
The 3.6l is a good engine.
But I would take a 2.8l turbo deisel for the mileage and towing.

But then, they don't have a diesel for the Suburban either.

They figure not enough demand?
Anybody with any news or insite.
Just curious.
Figure someday I will need to upgrade to a Traverse with the way my family keeps growing. Lol

With gas prices so low why bother with Diesel? Here (Central PA) Regualr is $2.29 and Diesel is $2.79. With turbo gas engines delivering the positive attributes of Diesel (flat torque curve) why mess with a more expensive vehicle, more expensive fuel, and more expensive maintenance?

Originally Posted By: Danno
With all the lawsuits going around not sure why any light duty and passenger cars diesels are still being sold in NA.

Thought there were many lawsuits for the GDI engines as well. Toyota, Subaru, and Honda.

Originally Posted By: itguy08
With gas prices so low why bother with Diesel? Here (Central PA) Regualr is $2.29 and Diesel is $2.79. With turbo gas engines delivering the positive attributes of Diesel (flat torque curve) why mess with a more expensive vehicle, more expensive fuel, and more expensive maintenance?

Good point.
2018 Traverse with the 3.6l V6 is supposed to get about 25 mpg highway.
Diesel turbo in the 2017 Colorado (think in crew cab only) gets about 30 mpg.
May not be worth it for the price difference.

Diesel prices are much better now since the addition of so much more refinery capacity after we started to export much of our diesel Europe. But ... still higher and mpg difference probably isn't enough to compensate.

However, the repair costs have gone up dramatically with the GDI engines.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Iowegian

However, the repair costs have gone up dramatically with the GDI engines.

Not sure about for all of them. I think Hyundai and GM have them sorted out now, as does Ford. I've got 3 Ecoboosts in the family - 2 3.5's (115k and 78k) and 1 2.0 (22k) and the only engine issue was a knock sensor on the oldest EB that was covered under warranty.

Yes they are getting them figured out and making them more durable. GM 3.6l is a pretty good engine.

However, I meant the repair cost in general.
For instance, a high pressure fuel pump is very expensive.

Remember when the automotive journalist cried for a diesel-hybrid???????
I guess that's dead too.

Originally Posted By: KGMtech
Diesel is on life support right now for passenger cars and trucks, hybrid/electric is the new flavour.

I'm in MD just a few steps out of PA.
PA has the highest fuel taxes in the nation. MD ain't cheap but diesel here is just above $2.30- Gas $2.07-$2.17 avg.

Originally Posted By: AirgunSavant
I'm in MD just a few steps out of PA.
PA has the highest fuel taxes in the nation. MD ain't cheap but diesel here is just above $2.30- Gas $2.07-$2.17 avg.

Here in iowa at a fying j truckstop in Altoona.
https://www.gasbuddy.com/Station/13020
Regular $1.97
Diesel $2.35

Not to mention the $43 in tolls I paid in Pennsylvania (round trip) on their turnpike. Going from Ohio to the Wash DC area. Whew!

I topped off the gas tank in Ohio for $11. Then filled up again in northern Virginia for $26. I think it was $2.28/gallon. But it varied wildly around there. Saw a Shell station for $2.15 when I was a passenger. I would get lost trying to find that station again and not worth the 30 minutes of "traffic" to find it again.

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
Not to mention the $43 in tolls I paid in Pennsylvania (round trip) on their turnpike. Going from Ohio to the Wash DC area. Whew!

But at least you get to go through the Breezewood Gap
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: kschachn

wink.gif

Ahh yes, good old Breezewood. I made sure not to stop there. Stopped at the first rest area a few exits after that place.

wink.gif

Ahh yes, good old Breezewood. I made sure not to stop there. Stopped at the first rest area a few exits after that place.

Breezewood is crazy - all the roads come together there and it's, shall we say "interesting". The Seidling Hill Rest stop is nice though - redone a few years ago.

Yes PA's gas taxes are CRAZY - It's the previous governor's fault for passing that nonsense. And our gas taxes will go up again in 2018, IIRC.

But even without our insane gas taxes I don't know the additional costs associated with Diesel (vehicle, fuel, maintenance) are worth the MPG gains. One expensive repair and any savings are gone.

What's the purpose of diesel? The vehicle costs a lot more, fuel costs more, the average joe can't work on it, all for a little bit better fuel economy and lower end torque. Doesn't sound worth it to me.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
What's the purpose of diesel? The vehicle costs a lot more, fuel costs more, the average joe can't work on it, all for a little bit better fuel economy and lower end torque. Doesn't sound worth it to me.

I had a Datsun Diesel in the early 80's and then it was rather exciting. Cheap fuel and in the 40's mpg. Not so thrilling today.

I will say on my 2011 F350 diesel I got a I terrific resale price. Not so on the same truck that was a gasser. Also I got a $9000 rebate on it in 2011.... Used diesel trucks here sell very quick, not the gassers.

wink.gif

Breezewood is crazy - all the roads come together there and it's, shall we say "interesting". The Seidling Hill Rest stop is nice though - redone a few years ago.

Yes PA's gas taxes are CRAZY - It's the previous governor's fault for passing that nonsense. And our gas taxes will go up again in 2018, IIRC.

But even without our insane gas taxes I don't know the additional costs associated with Diesel (vehicle, fuel, maintenance) are worth the MPG gains. One expensive repair and any savings are gone.

Ironically, I also made a run to Pennsylvania last week. I carried 15 gallons extra fuel in 5-gallons cans so I could minimize the amount I had to buy there. Filled them up at $2.22 in Indiana, put the 15 gallons in my tank before filling, and only had to buy 6.6 gallons of $2.97 diesel in PA. I had enough fuel to get back into Ohio, where I filled up at $2.59.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: AirgunSavant

Originally Posted By: Nick1994

I had a Datsun Diesel in the early 80's and then it was rather exciting. Cheap fuel and in the 40's mpg. Not so thrilling today.

I will say on my 2011 F350 diesel I got a I terrific resale price. Not so on the same truck that was a gasser. Also I got a $9000 rebate on it in 2011.... Used diesel trucks here sell very quick, not the gassers.
Well I can see it for the big trucks, I mean for cars and SUVs and small pickups diesel not making much sense to me.

Although the big trucks people often buy with the diesel and then pull little trailers.

Want to talk about high priced diesel trucks? Try price the last of the 7.3 of Ford. 99-03 are going if in decent shape for 20k. I layed out 15k for a 99 Crewcab drw in May but had only 72k on the clock and good number mechanical upgrades that I would have done. Pulled a 14k lb. trailer on Memorial weekend shy of 400 miles and got 9.9 average mpg. The government just found that taxing fuel was easy.
With GM getting sued over having installed a device to screw with emissions testing I don't see them going fuel anymore and I think they put some major bucks into a compression ignition gas engine that looks very promising. That's right I said "compression ignition gas engine"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back