"Prolong" review.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Little background: The vehicle is 2007 Toyota Camry, 4 cyl, currently 120k miles. Since new it always had premium synthetics with occasional boutique oils here and there. Never more than 5k miles on a OCI, therefore the metal seen through the fill hole is as shiny as it gets.

About 1k miles after last oil change I got a bottle of "Prolong" metal friction additive for free. Figured that it will not do any damage and used it to top off the oil level. Instantly the engine became a bit smoother. The slightest noises smoothened out. That is when I realized how loud my engine was and how quiet it can be. It has been 3k miles since I added Prolong into the crankcase. Engine is still very smooth, and gained 2mpg across the board, for the first time since new. Overall I am very satisfied with the product. Probably will use it always from now on. Also my normal oil consumption is 1qt every 3000 miles. Since adding "Prolong" the oil level have not moved on the dipstick.

36.gif

Yeah, right. I really hope you don't sell this stuff. In cahoots?

It does have somewhat of an Extreme Pressure effect, using chlorinated paraffins to do it. I'd only use a partial dose, not full dose, so as to avoid too much HCl acid buildup as this stuff breaks down over time and corrodes parts.

Originally Posted By: KGMtech
And you received how much from Prolong for this commercial?
It prevents baldness too!

Some people know how well something works without any knowledge of or experience with the product. And some of these products can cure cancer, overhaul your engine and get you past a California smog test.

To do a useful test on one of these products would be very time consuming and expensive. On top of that there are extreme opinions on both ends of the spectrum.

So it turns out that the best move might be to use just engine oil and avoid anything that would interfere with or help the engine oil in any way.

Originally Posted By: BenzFella
Little background: The vehicle is 2007 Toyota Camry, 4 cyl, currently 120k miles. Since new it always had premium synthetics with occasional boutique oils here and there. Never more than 5k miles on a OCI, therefore the metal seen through the fill hole is as shiny as it gets.

About 1k miles after last oil change I got a bottle of "Prolong" metal friction additive for free. Figured that it will not do any damage and used it to top off the oil level. Instantly the engine became a bit smoother. The slightest noises smoothened out. That is when I realized how loud my engine was and how quiet it can be. It has been 3k miles since I added Prolong into the crankcase. Engine is still very smooth, and gained 2mpg across the board, for the first time since new. Overall I am very satisfied with the product. Probably will use it always from now on. Also my normal oil consumption is 1qt every 3000 miles. Since adding "Prolong" the oil level have not moved on the dipstick.

With your 5k regimen of synthetics, no reason for additives. You didn't say what grade of oil you are using, but moving from 0w20 to 5w30 has been shown to help with consumption.

Well I like to hear people's experience with different products, oil weights, brands etc.. I really think that's how this site started to share knowledge and experiences.
What I hate are the constant Rule Followers that live and die by the owners manual.
Any idiot can do nothing but read the owners manual.
I am glad we have some people that venture off the plantation and explore with new ideas.
Usually the Owner manual followers are the first ones to question Good Results too of any product or deviation.
Thanks for your input on Prolong.

Last edited:
Prolong did not pay me a dime unfortunately. A friend of mine got it from AutoZone on BOGO deal. Gave me the free bottle to try. Results speak for themselves. Those who hate the product - never tried it and go by their guesses and opinions. Fact is - it works, whether you like it or not.
Originally Posted By: CT8
What makes running syn oil at 5,000 mile intervals so special

The fact that I was running synthetic at 5k OCI means that the engine is as close to being like-new inside as it gets. No sludge, varnish, or anything else that could've been potentially "cleaned out" by Prolong. Engine was flawless to start with, in other words... But even in this situation Prolong still made a noticable improvement. Imagine what it could do for a neglected engine.

I'm simply sharing my experience.

Last edited:
Considering that even at the same gas station the energy density of gasoline varies up to 4%, there is no way you can correlate an observed fuel economy change to one variable in the highly chaotic environment of real-world driving. Argue as much as you want but it just isn't possible.

Other than that the stuff seems like quite the miracle additive. You mentioned that "Since adding "Prolong" the oil level have not moved on the dipstick" but didn't say how many miles ago that was.

Good thing you used Prolong because of this:

All Toyotas I have seen seem to cook the oil up a bit more than Honda, or Ford, etc.

Prolong did not pay me a dime unfortunately. A friend of mine got it from AutoZone on BOGO deal. Gave me the free bottle to try. Results speak for themselves. Those who hate the product - never tried it and go by their guesses and opinions. Fact is - it works, whether you like it or not.
Originally Posted By: CT8
What makes running syn oil at 5,000 mile intervals so special

The fact that I was running synthetic at 5k OCI means that the engine is as close to being like-new inside as it gets. No sludge, varnish, or anything else that could've been potentially "cleaned out" by Prolong. Engine was flawless to start with, in other words... But even in this situation Prolong still made a noticable improvement. Imagine what it could do for a neglected engine.

I'm simply sharing my experience.

"Engine was flawless to start with"........... 1 quart consumption in 3,000 miles is flawless?
confused.gif
Is that normal for a Toyota? I would think perceived results is placebo effect.

Originally Posted By: kschachn
You mentioned that "Since adding "Prolong" the oil level have not moved on the dipstick" but didn't say how many miles ago that was.

In the original post I said that it has been 3k miles since adding Prolong into the crankcase.
Originally Posted By: 28oz
1 quart consumption in 3,000 miles is flawless?
confused.gif
Is that normal for a Toyota? I would think perceived results is placebo effect.

If you want to take it there, then send a request to Toyota about normal oil consumption by their standards. Their answer will be "1 quart in 1000 miles is considered normal oil consumption." So compared to their standards - my consumption wasnt that bad. And I apologize, I should've clarified - flawless in terms of engine cleanliness. Due to a nice diet of synthetics the inside of the engine is very clean. And these 4 cylinders are known for their consumption issues. I was surprised that the consumption stopped, still am.

Just to clarify... When I poured this stuff in, I was just as sceptical as most of you right now. The whole reason I dumped it in is because my oil level was a bit lower than full line, and I did not want to open a new bottle of oil. The 12oz (or 10oz?) Prolong bottle got the level to the full line again. That was my whole intention for using it - oil level. But unexpectedly it returned results that were very surprising for me, and I shared in attempt to help those who are in the market for a similar "miracle in a bottle", and not a snake oil additive (looking at you Lucas&Restore)

Originally Posted By: kschachn
Considering that even at the same gas station the energy density of gasoline varies up to 4%, there is no way you can correlate an observed fuel economy change to one variable in the highly chaotic environment of real-world driving. Argue as much as you want but it just isn't possible.

I fill up at the same gas station every Wednesday night. I drive to and from work only on this car. 25 miles each way at steady 60mph on cruise control with little to no traffic on a country side backroad. That is about as controllable as it gets in real world.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back