Using up my QS Defy 10W-30 "SL" oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have 3 qts of the old QS Defy 10W-30 with high ZDDP left over. Need five qts for an oil change. Since SL Defy is no longer available, which oil would you choose to mix with the 3 qts of Defy? Does anyone know if the SN additive package in "new" defy is the same with reduced ZDDP? If so, I guess this would be the obvious choice.

Last Fall just used my last old stash Quart of Defy with Slick 50 (10w30) in the Tecumseh Snowblower.

One of the best oils I ever used.

I would just mix it with some Formula Shell or QSGB.

Zinc gets used up under high stress, so the Defy SL its just starting 50% higher treat rate than current. When you run the oil hard you will use up that zdp. Its still shows in a UOA but its used and converted.

You may also use Castrol Motorcyle 4T "Dino" which will have more zinc than defy. That is AP SH rated due to high Phosphorous from the ZDP treat rate.

I had 5 qts of the SL Defy last year and used them up 1-2 quarts at a time in a mixture of PP/QSUD oils. I would imagine the new SN version has much less Phos/Zinc. If you want to maintain that higher phos/zinc there ought to be a 10w/30 or 10w/40 Pennzoil High Mileage oil with strong Zn levels you can mix.

Just buy 2 quarts of the newer QS to match up the additive packages. Done!

QS has changed the name from Defy to High Mileage. It's $16-17 a jug at Walmart. I'm currently using it in the wife's Infiniti. Some Walmarts may carry the individual quarts. If the QS High Mileage is not available, I'd use the Pennzoil High Mileage to go with your leftover quarts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back