post your latest transmission lubricant change.

Originally Posted By: Nyogtha
2011 Ford Mustang 3.7L V6 with 6R80
43K miles on vehicle

Out: Factory fill, factory filter, faulty factory gasket

In: 8 qts. Kendall Versatrans LV ATF, Autozone TF507 kit filter & gasket

Drained fluid will be recycled at Autozone, filter will be recycled at Walmart TLE.

Well my current nearby Walmart TLE and Sam's Club Tire & Auto both refused to recycle my used auto trans filter. It was no problem at my prior residence.

However Firestone Complete Auto Care cheerfully accepted my used automatic transmission filter for recycling. Thought I'd let folks know for their use.

1973 GMC motorhome t400 dexron VI. I took the tranny out of a donor 77 pickup and swapped it out with a floor jack. How was your weekend?

Edit; I didn't learn until a few days ago that some Jaguars came with T400 transmissions. Why would they do that?

Last edited:
Makes it easier to do a chev swap when the jag engine dies...

Rolls, Jag, and Merc used them...and I've read Ferrarri...

My dad's stepfather briefly owned an '87 Jaguar sedan with a 350 V8 and a TH400 automatic. I've seen a black Ferrari on YouTube with a '93-'97 TPI 5.7 swapped in, bolted to the original TH400 automatic. The commentors were losing their minds.

Had good intentions, and easy expectations but ended up compromising due to time and lack of tools. Attempted a flush of my 2010 Mazda 3 2.0L today. Found some new things I didn't notice since last flush. One looks like outlet line running from cooler has a leak. Will replace pinch clamp with crew clamp. Has a gash on line but no obvious leak coming from it. Dried out pink and white residue was all over cooler. Guess thats what Valvoline Maxlife DEX/MERC ATF looks like when its heated and evaporated. Also, found pan had a dent in it. No leaks from pan itself. Found out my 1/4" torque wrench is junk. I set the torque at 50 in-lbs. Is that too much for a 10mm transmission pan bolt? Well, this harbor freight torque wrench wanted to keep going and snapped the head off with the majority of the threads in the tranny. Any suggestions on drill bits, drills, extractors and taps? I had 9 quarts of Valvoline Maxlife ATF for the flush and 9 quarts of Amsoil Multivehicle signature series ATF for fill. After breaking bolt, and lacking the tools I decided to scrap Amsoil fill ($$$) since I will have to drop pan again to extract bolt. Thinking of replacing pan too since it was dented. Will also replace gasket again too. Ended up adding 6 quarts of Maxlife in. I did use Amsoil's Engine and Transmission flush first. Idled for 15 minutes, then drained right after, dropping pan, replacing gasket and filter. I got a Wix gasket and filter kit, since Amsoil seems to recommend Wix filters with its products. Feels better than the cheapest generic gasket and filter kit I got off Amazon. Surprisingly no leaks from that one bolt.

06 escalade ext, 176xxx miles, approx 25k on tranny fluid
Out: maxlife atf, delco filter
In: maxlife atf, power torque filter and rubber pan gasket

This will most likely be the last filter change on this truck.

Replaced ATF in 2001 Chevrolet Cavalier

out: Walmart SuperTech Dexron VI
in: Peak: Dex III / Mercon

37,000 miles on old fluid

2013 Suzuki SX4 Crossover Navigator 6-speed manual

Out: 2.5 litres unknown gear oil

In: 1 litre Penrite Pro Gear 70W-75, 1.5 litres 75W-85

2008 Honda Civic LX
Out 7+ qts of OEM and maxlife
In 7 qts Maxlife.

78 k miles. Drain magnet pristine, so betting drain and fill was done pretty recently before I took ownership. Will need to check the records if I get time.

OEM inline filter getting changed the next time I have the car up on stands.

2003 Saab 9-5 2.0tA

4 litres of appr. 7 litres comes out from pan
out unknown fluid
in Mobil 3309

dNCYm4Z.jpg

2009 Corolla S (108k)
Out: 3.25 qts Toyota WS
In: Maxlife ATF

2012 Rav4 (89k)
Out: 3.75 qts Toyota WS
In: Maxlife ATF

Did another drain and fill on my dads 08 Ford escape with the CD4E.

172,372 current millage

Out: i think super tech mercon V
IN: STP mercon V

The slight flare going from 2nd-3rd went away.

Last edited:
2003 Crown Vic PI 69,600 miles

Do not know what fluid was in it or for how long but it was overfull, so I did a cooler line flush.
I used approximately 7 quarts of Schaeffer's #204SAT, the best fluid in the world for Mercon V applications.
Anticipating modifying the valve body in the next 5-10k miles which I know from experience uses about 10 quarts to refill the transmission after.
That will bring it pretty close to 100% fresh fluid.

3rd drain & fill on my '07 Volvo V70 @ 76,300 miles.

Records say the car had a B&G flush using 16 qts @ 41.9K and my D&F's @ 69.6K and 70.5K

2.00 qt. Wolf's Head Universal Synthetic Transmission Fluid
1.70 qt. Valvoline MaxLife Dex/Merc LV
3.5 oz. LubeGard (red bottle)

Next one will be at 100K as I'm happy with the look.

2014 Hyundai Santa Fe Ultimate at 30k miles. Drain and fill, twice (4 quarts, drove, then drain and refill with 4 more fresh quarts). Valvoline Max-Life tranny fluid. Runs and shifts better than when it was new.

2016 Chevrolet Silverado 5.3, 6L80E, pulled cooler line and drained 2 quarts at a time and refilled after every 2 quarts pulled. Glad I changed it at 10k miles, could see slight shimmer and darkness in the fluid. Does in fact shift better after swap, I'm surprised. Also added Lubegard red.

Back