Generator outlet

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am finally getting my generator set to work when needed. It's a standby generator with no wheels or circuit breaker or outlet. I tried to see if Winco had parts but no-go.

So I bought a Reliance PR30 box to mount on the outside of the generator. The PR30 has a 30 amp breaker and a male outlet. It should have a female as it's producing power.

Question is do I try and replace the male outlet with a female if I can find one or make up a short female to female cord.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: larryinnewyork
Donald,

Would something like this help ?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/30-Amp-Male-to-5...e-/182131529560

You get the idea, just a short cord with what you want on each end.

I can make a short cord easy enough, but should it be disconnected while generator is running, you have 220 v on the male outlet and if touched, could be a bad day for someone.

On the safety side, the male outlet has a spring loaded cover that will cover the male outlet should the female plug be pulled out.

Last edited:
I have 5 generators and they all have different twist and lock connection. You think they could all agree and get together on this. I made a adapter kit I call the Generator Thingy that has multiple ends. I made it from wire and ends from Lowe's, not cheap to make but solves all my problems with different generators.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Panzerman
I have 5 generators and they all have different twist and lock connection. You think they could all agree and get together on this. I made a adapter kit I call the Generator Thingy that has multiple ends. I made it from wire and ends from Lowe's, not cheap to make but solves all my problems with different generators.

Well generators used to power a home during a power failure vs job site should have a NEMA 4 wire twist lock outlet. But it will be different for different size generators (watts).

With generator vibration, you do not want a plain outlet (non-twist lock).

You can buy twist/ lock ends at Lowe's and Home Depot. Any kind you need.
Get some thick heavy duty wire there to and then lead them to your shore line plug in.
You can make any cord you need. It's a handy device but I probably got over $50 in it plus my time.
It's a stand alone universal device that lets me use any Generator with the one shore line.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: JHZR2
What is required by code??

I am positive you cannot have exposed prongs of a male outlet with power to them.

But the generator will not be hardwired. I will attach generator cords before starting.

I use a male/male cord to connect to the house wiring. Just have the house panel off and the generator off before hooking up.

I don't understand why you got a box with an outlet. You are not hardwired back to the main panel given this is a "stationary" Gen?

I just throw a 15 foot NEMA L14-30 homemade extension through my basement window and perflug it into the dryer outlet that's connected to the main panel.

A/C goes both way's baby. Wire never gets warm, everything runs fine and dandy including a 2.5hp 140ft deep drilled well submersible pump.

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite

I just throw a 15 foot NEMA L14-30 homemade extension through my basement window and perflug it into the dryer outlet that's connected to the main panel.

A/C goes both way's baby. Wire never gets warm, everything runs fine ...

You just have to make D A R N well sure the main breaker is OFF!!

I got the PR30 box so I have a 30 amp breaker at the generator.

I have a normal manual transfer switch to transfer 6 circuits. Generator connects to it.

Originally Posted By: Linctex
Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite

A/C goes both way's baby. Wire never gets warm, everything runs fine ...

You just have to make D A R N well sure the main breaker is OFF!!

Yepper. You have to with any home Gen evn without rogue wiring
smile.gif
These specialty panels are ridiculously overpriced for low tech steel item and bit of copper. I wasn't buying.

The issue with back-feeding besides being dangerous and illegal is it limits the connection setup to just you. If your out of town, your wife or kids or a helpful neighbor could not do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back