Drove for 23 miles with NO WATER PUMP!!?!?!?!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: CharlieBauer
Originally Posted By: Why_Anything
The only thing i can say is the auto tranny does not shift exactly as it did before.

Without cooling, your ATF may have gotten a little cooked.

I would change it. And the oil as well.

ATF will be fine. It goes through the radiator which is full of water which gets ram air. Nothing changed in the abovementioned scenario; if anything, the radiator coolant will be cooler b/c of all the ram air and because engine heat wasn't making it there as efficiently.

If anything, the engine was getting low or no water flow to or from the radiator.

i think the design of the oil pan might have been part of what saved me

HebHsQ4.jpg

The B series Mazda engines are pretty tough. My daughter has a Laser with the B6 engine, same as the MX5. She overheated it enough to melt the HT leads. I drove it 100km home to my place with a blown headgasket - it never overheated or used a drop of water. The head had gone soft so had to replace it.

Originally Posted By: Silk
The B series Mazda engines are pretty tough. My daughter has a Laser with the B6 engine, same as the MX5. She overheated it enough to melt the HT leads. I drove it 100km home to my place with a blown headgasket - it never overheated or used a drop of water. The head had gone soft so had to replace it.
how did you know for sure your head gasket was blown?

One of the best and easiest methods is a funnel...I have Lisle funnels, one at home, one at work. Watch for bubbles...if you get bubbles with each blip of the throttle it's a sure sign of a headgasket. My daughter's car was just a constant stream of bubbles at idle.

Originally Posted By: Why_Anything
did anyone hear of or experience a car still running after a situation like this?

My story doesn't end well, but it illustrates that a car can go really far without any water.

Ages ago my grandad passed and my Dad was OOT so a friend came by in his new Mustang. 6 cylinder stick shift model. We were literally backing out of the driveway heading for the airport when the lower hose blew off the radiator. He said F it and continued driving for over 30 minutes in traffic to get us there. When we stopped he had to stall the engine with the clutch as it would not stop dieseling. Per his dealer they did nothing except re-attach the hose and fill her up with coolant!

had an alternator seize and throw the belt on a g20.
i kept going thinking i could get a short distance and pull off close to a store.
but it didnt even increase the coolant temp.
so i kept going at highway speed.the wind through the radiator spun the fan enough to keep things cool.saw an exit with an autozone where the alt was warrantied.
got off the exit and stopped within a block of az.
because as soon as i got below 30mph it started climbing.
no overheat and i had it fixed in 20 minutes.
Originally Posted By: turtlevette
Because he was at highway speed, maybe the forced airflow thru the rad spun the fan blade just a little? Mechanical fan?

I'm not a fan of serpentine belts because of the loss of water pump issue. I don't think designs should go backwards, but they sometimes do. The old v belt systems had 2 or 3 belts driving the water pump and mechanical fan.

That is a more reliable system and should be obvious even to the most casual observer.

I have run serpentine belts well beyond 200k miles without breakage.

They are far more reliable than V-belts. Our aftermarket equipment is driven off V-belts and requires attention every 30k miles or so.

On my older cars there is only one belt for the water pump, the two other belts drive AC and power steering, etc. Always needed attention regularly.

Still have the original on the 05 Matrix with 122k miles. The dealer said it needs replacing since there are cracks in it but I don't see any cracks. It looks fine to me.

Plus I used that free Gates tester on it so it's not worn down either. I see some of the Carfax reports for used cars at the dealer and some people replace them every 30k miles or so. All because the service advisors are selling them on the idea.

Wife's old Cavalier drive somewhere between 0 and 17 miles with no coolant. I was outside when she got home from work and noticed an odd stain on her front bumper. Dried coolant. Popped the hood and there was coolant everywhere. Overflow tank completely empty, no rad. cap on these but when I opened the drain, maybe a cup or so is all that came out. Engine still running, no smoke or funny noises or anything like that I could see. I didn't look at the temp gauge because she'd already shut the car off, and she of course didn't look at it on the way home. Replaced the leaking pipe, refilled with coolant, and that thing ran for over a year until the tranny finally gave out at 237,000 miles. That engine has proven itself over the 10 years she drove it to be completely indestructible.

Last edited:
Just because the water pump wasn't being driven doesn't equate to landing on the moon. Your car, or any other car shouldn't overheat during the conditions you've explained.
Heat rises, and you were driving down the road, if you were in stop & go traffic the cooling system wouldn't have been able to keep up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back