2017 Nissan Rogue Rental from Enterprise

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: 01rangerxl
Originally Posted By: CKN
Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
I always considered full sized suv's as being modern day station wagons. Are compact suv's like modern day Chevettes?

If you consider the compact CUVs total junk like the Chevettes were.

Yet, in 1980, "Chevette sales totaled more than 451,000 units — a figure that would rank it second only to Chevy's new Citation, which had a much longer model run (sales had started in April 1979)." (Wikipedia)

That's quite a few more sales in a single year than the Rogue has ever had.

Yep-gas was skyhigh at $1.80 when GM made these things and Americans were clamoring for small cars. Tom and Ray of "Click and Clack" wrote-

TOM: The fifth-Worst Car of the Millennium is the Chevy Chevette. As one reader described it: "An engine surrounded by four pieces of drywall." Ouch!

RAY: Here's another happy owner's assessment: "Plywood floor, printed-circuit wiring, no redeeming qualities. It was a throw-away from the word go."

http://amarillo.com/stories/042200/whe_worstcars.shtml#.WUwB1Wjyu1s

It should be noted-that GM did figure out they couldn't build a decent small car at the time-and that's where the "Geo" brand came in.
Geo was a marque of small cars made by General Motors as a subdivision of its Chevrolet division from 1989 to 1997. Its original slogan was "Get to know Geo." Formed by GM to compete with the growing small import market of the mid 1980s, the line continued through the 1997 model year, after which the remaining models were marketed under the Chevrolet name.

Geo models were manufactured by GM in joint ventures with three Japanese automakers. The Prizm was produced at the GM/Toyota joint-venture NUMMI assembly plant in Fremont, California, and the Metro and Tracker were produced at the GM/Suzuki joint-venture CAMI assembly plant in Ingersoll, Ontario. The exceptions, the Spectrum and Storm, were entirely manufactured by Isuzu in Japan. Geo Metro convertibles and early Geo Trackers were built by Suzuki in Japan.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geo_(automobile)

So in short-GM didn't want us to buy small cars direct form the Japanese-but it's OK to buy (rebadged) Japanese cars from GM!

Last edited:
Funny thing is, the Chevette wasn't any worse than any other comparable vehicle of the time period.

Originally Posted By: JTK
Funny thing is, the Chevette wasn't any worse than any other comparable vehicle of the time period.

Unfortunately for GM, they just sold more.

Originally Posted By: CKN

Yep-gas was skyhigh...

I don't doubt they were junky, I just thought the sales numbers were relevant/interesting since sales volume for the Rogue was brought up earlier.

That said, I do think the Rogue's recent sales boom probably is largely because it is a better Rogue than Nissan has ever built before. The previous ones were kind of weird, but the current one is more like a baby Pathfinder (current gen), which is probably just what a lot of small CUV buyers want. It also looks more like its major competitors than it used to. Nissan has been aggressively pursuing fleet sales though...there are WAY more Nissans in US fleets than there were say 7-10 years ago, so sales numbers are influenced by that as well. Not saying the Rogue isn't a good CUV, but being good is just one of many reasons vehicles achieve high sales volume.

Quote:
So in short-GM didn't want us to buy small cars direct form the Japanese-but it's OK to buy (rebadged) Japanese cars from GM!

Well, of course. Like you said, sales are where the money is. GM wants their badge/royalties on that sale regardless of if they had anything to do with engineering it. Though they are taking their small cars more seriously than ever, they still outsource the smallest ones (Spark) to Daewoo (South Korean).

My sincere thanks to everyone who replied to my review. The remarks are very kind and encouraging. You're a great group of people.
cheers3.gif

All I was interested in was how many times the "best sellingness" of the Rogue factored into your experience, Mr. Sludger

Last edited:
"Yet, in 1980, "Chevette sales totaled more than 451,000 units — a figure that would rank it second only to Chevy's new Citation, which had a much longer model run (sales had started in April 1979)." (Wikipedia)"

Those two models kept mechanics busy for the next decade and beyond.

It's a great review for sure and I agree with much of it. Totally don't agree on the storage expectations for this class of vehicle, but I have little experience with that other than driving and riding in various Rogues. I do find the rear seat to be positioned oddly high in the latest generation. My inlaws have leased them since their ~2007 debut. They are on their 4th. They've never had an issue, but the FIL 'exchanges' them early, ridiculously over maintained and under mileage.

They feel bigger behind the wheel than my 2016 Forester and the front seating kind of hugs around me more than the Forester. Pretty sure my average MPG tank/tank blows the Rogue away though. I rarely get less then 32mpg tank/tank with my Forester in the warmer months.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back