F-35 Fighter Too Big To Fail

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: DoubleWasp
Whatever the F35 is or isn't, the superiority of the US military global network will ensure that pretty much the entire planet continues to cower at the idea of truly taking us on in a total campaign.

Until some state actor (N. Korea) effectively sends the US et al back to the stone age by detonating a nuke in space.

The F35 has a kill ratio of 15:1 in the last Redflag

Its an upgrade all the way around as well as acting like a smaller rivet joint for the older platforms.

Sprey is always amusing. Everytime a new fighter comes out its panned against the older stuff then technology pushes forward.

UD

Originally Posted By: BMWTurboDzl
Until some state actor (N. Korea) effectively sends the US et al back to the stone age by detonating a nuke in space.

And that would accomplish what exactly, in your mind?

Whatever the F35 is or isn't, the superiority of the US military global network will ensure that pretty much the entire planet continues to cower at the idea of truly taking us on in a total campaign.

LOL ... N. Korea would be a gigantic smoking hole before that ever happens.

North Korea has to understand that you don't make a missile by making a giant toilet paper roll filled with black powder and lighting a fuse, which seems to be the extent of some of their tests.
wink.gif

Realistically, NK does not have the hardware to make that happen, but they would become a part of the ocean floor just for making the attempt.

Just ask OBL how well a valid attack on the US works out for the attacker.

Realistically NK is buying the missile tech from others, all those cool trucks they just paraded around were Russian and Chinese.

The carbon bodies missiles weren't home grown - they bought that tech from others.

UD

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: UncleDave
Realistically NK is buying the missile tech from others, all those cool trucks they just paraded around were Russian and Chinese.

The carbon bodies missiles weren't home grown - they bought that tech from others.

UD

I suspect they bought diddly. Maybe some missile cases and trucks. Not even China and Russia want NK to have true nuclear or ballistic missile capabilities.

You give a child a toy gun to make him happy, not a real one.

Originally Posted By: rooflessVW
Originally Posted By: UncleDave

UD

I suspect they bought diddly. Maybe some missile cases and trucks. Not even China and Russia want NK to have true nuclear or ballistic missile capabilities.

You give a child a toy gun to make him happy, not a real one.

If you don't think they bought it then you think they built it all themselves? I don't think so.

There are always countries that sell to anyone illegally.

Heres an interesting article about how tech gets back doored into NK from China.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/nat...m=.8e4988e4b857

This is just one of many articles about how sophisticated components make it into a country with almost no tech.

UD

UncleDave said:
Heres an interesting article about how tech gets back doored into NK from China.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/nat...m=.8e4988e4b857

This is just one of many articles about how sophisticated components make it into a country with almost no tech.

UD
[/quote
China has not yet come to the conclusion that this will end very badly, especially for China.The clock is ticking. You can bet the U.S. has and is finalizing the Cruise missle onslaught which you can also bet will be in the thousands.

Wouldn't that be F/A...as in F/A-18 and A-6 Growler? But ya..the F35 was supposed to support the USMC so I guess they've dropped the "A" for new aircraft.

OK, let's back the truth truck up for a second, here...the F/A-18 was designated by the Navy as multi-role following the days when airplanes were though of as single role. The F-4 excelled as a bomber, but was built for air superiority. The A-6 excelled as a bomber (and it was call the "Intruder") and was built for bombing, hence, the 'A".

The "Growler" is the F/A-18 repurposed to perform electronic attack, because it was built for electronic attack, it's known as the EA-18G (the G being the model number, and it follows the E/F model of the super Hornet).

The USAF logic in calling the F-117 an "F" is unsupportable, but they were trying to obfuscate information on the airplane.

Now, on to stealth. It's defeat-able, sure. But defeating it is not as simple as everyone makes it out to be. The best frequency for radars has already been settled on...and you can't go after a stealth fighter by changing the radar on another fighter to long-wavelength radars, or you get so much clutter, along with absolutely terrible resolution (this is physics), that the radar becomes useless.

So, stealth works. It works best against other airplanes.

The F-117 that got shot down had a couple of things going against it:

1. Stupidity in planning. Every airplane was going in/out of country using the same navigation fixes for deconfliction...track all the conventional airplanes as they fly in and out, and you can map out where the next airplane will come from. Then you, as a defender, set your defenses up against a predictable enemy...ask Scott O'Grady about this...

2. Stupidity in mission execution. "Never fly directly under an overcast" has been a combat rule to live by since WWII. It highlights your airplane visually. So, by forgetting that rule, the F-117 pilot made himself completely visible...and some SAMs can be guided optically. Stealth doesn't work against eyeballs...

The F-35 will change the game; the tactics, the rules, the planning.

I'm not a fan of the airplane, it's too heavy (carrier structural requirements) for the USAF, and the USMC version is hobbled by lousy fuel capacity (gotta' have room for a lift fan and gearbox). But all V/STOL airplanes have insufficient fuel. The AV-8B was terrible. So is the F-35B, well, it's less terrible, and in fact, is close to the current F/A-18C/D range. A lot less than the F-35A, and a whole lot less than the F-35C. The USAF hobbled their own -A version by insisting on a 9G airframe...OK, but they had to reduce the wing size so that it can carry that load...and thus reduced the internal fuel capacity while keeping the carrier weight penalty.

It appears now that the USN version, the F-35C, will be the best airplane. Lower wing loading (because of the 25% larger wing than the F-35A) and longer range (because that same wing carries MORE FUEL).

The flight demo at Paris this week was merely adequate...not the best, but not the worst, performing airplane I've seen...it was a short show, so I would guess that it was lightly loaded on fuel...making the show more impressive, but having less to do with real-world performance.

But NONE OF THAT MATTERS if you can't see the airplane.

Imagine that you and I agree to get into a gun fight. I choose rifles. I choose that we start at least 100 yards apart and I further choose that you must wear a blindfold until I get within 10 yards of you. Ready?

Because that's what we're talking about here...the other airplanes can't see this thing to shoot until it is in visual range. That's why it kills F-16s in Red Flag at 15:1. Sure, a few guys in conventional fighters get in a lucky shot because they got close enough. Everyone else dies. Those are the odds we want on our side.

But it's not just a fighter and you've got to take the long view. It's a long range, first-strike, attack weapon for the USN Carriers. Now, caution, game-change alert, on day one against a near-peer adversary (not the stone age threat of the Afghan or Iraqi scenarios, but someone with fighters, radars, SAMs, all of it in an Integrated Air Defense System) the F-35s can launch from a carrier. Because of the increased range of the F-35C, that carrier is now able to be far enough away to be invisible to the enemy. The enemy won't know the F-35s are overhead until the bombs explode. Couple the F-35s with a few UCAV X-47s (stealth autonomous airplane) as their wingman.

You can hold every nation at risk with a carrier. No need for expensive bases in countries that require treaties and long supply chains....treaties, by the way, that allow foreign nations to veto certain actions, treaties that require permission, and in the asking of permission, allow intelligence (I&W) to get to the target nation hat we're coming and when.

Further, by having a credible fighter, and a stealthy one at that (sorry, the AV-8B is cool, but it's not a fighter, even with AMRAAM) on the Navy's Amphibious Assault ships (LPH, etc.) you can double the number of places in the world that the striking power exists. Sure, the F-35B is shorter range, but it's still there, and the adversary Air Force is powerless to stop it.

Overpriced? Sure. Compromised? Yeah.

Paradigm shift in capability?

Absolutely.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Astro14
Wouldn't that be F/A...as in F/A-18 and A-6 Growler? But ya..the F35 was supposed to support the USMC so I guess they've dropped the "A" for new aircraft.

OK, let's back the truth truck up for a second, here...the F/A-18 was designated by the Navy as multi-role following the days when airplanes were though of as single role. The F-4 excelled as a bomber, but was built for air superiority. The A-6 excelled as a bomber (and it was call the "Intruder") and was built for bombing, hence, the 'A".

The "Growler" is the F/A-18 repurposed to perform electronic attack, because it was built for electronic attack, it's known as the EA-18G (the G being the model number, and it follows the E/F model of the super Hornet).

Ya..I was thinking of the AE-6B aka Prowler.

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
Follow the history of the F-20, a great, cheap to buy, cheap to maintain weapon system that is quick to service and turn around and really good at below Mach 1 maneuvering but capable of Mach 2 speed and also super cruising. But....the US Air Force brass likes big, complicated and expensive jets and the F-20 was none of that. This Northrop line of planes that includes the T-38, the F-5 in all variants and the F-20 made up one heck of a product line. The T-38 was the best trainer the Air Force every deployed but for combat the other Northrop variants never made it pass the special interests in the Pentagon. The F-5/F20's were used as adversaries in ACM training and made live miserable for advanced students. Right now the Marines are buying every old F-5 they can find and that's quite an endorsement for such an old design that's still relevant today. It's small, maneuverable,not stealthy but very hard to see and has an up time and safety record never even approached by any other jet in any air force in the world.

Hi OneEye, I'm actually a member of a Facebook group dedicated to the T-38/F-5E/F-20 Tigershark. They were very good aircraft and some would argue some of the best pilots fly them - as aggressor pilots in the US military. The F-20 was created as a cheaper, "poor-man's" F-16 but IIRC it wasn't that much cheaper in the end as its cost increased with its capabilities...

I do think the F-5 series is one of the more overlooked aircraft that never found much of a niche in the USAF unfortunately, but maybe should have...

Originally Posted By: blupupher
Originally Posted By: AZjeff
Isn't the "F" supposed to stand for fighter??

F-117 was not a fighter. It was an attach aircraft, so should have been an "A" designation (Like the A-10).
No idea why it or the F-35 has an F prefix.

Same with the F-111, it should have been the B-111. Technically it was called the FB-111...

Originally Posted By: Nickdfresh
I do think the F-5 series is one of the more overlooked aircraft that never found much of a niche in the USAF unfortunately, but maybe should have...

Wasn't it designed largely as a cost-effective export for other countries' militaries?

Hi OneEye, I'm actually a member of a Facebook group dedicated to the T-38/F-5E/F-20 Tigershark. They were very good aircraft and some would argue some of the best pilots fly them - as aggressor pilots in the US military. The F-20 was created as a cheaper, "poor-man's" F-16 but IIRC it wasn't that much cheaper in the end as its cost increased with its capabilities...

The F-20 was an excellent airplane, but the issue with adding any completely new airframe is the overhead cost. It costs hundreds of millions in overhead: training facilities, training new crews and maintenance people, spare parts inventory, parts rebuilding (intermediate maintenance) capability.

It's more analogous starting up a new car dealership than to buying a new car - as DOD, you've got to buy the entire support infrastructure because outside of you, the DOD, it doesn't exist. That's why foreign nations buy our stuff, we provide all the parts, training, etc. Same is true when they buy French airplanes, or Swedish, or Russian, and it's why so many indigenous airplane projects fail: the overhead costs and development of that support structure is prohibitive.

The F-5 was bought by several nations, so the parts were available and the infrastructure was built. That made the price palatable to DOD, and we bought lots of them as adversary training assets.

That's what killed the F-20, no foreign sales, so DOD had to eat the whole overhead cost if we bought the airplane. When you consider the costs savings of each airplane, it was offset by the big overhead bill, so adding, say 100 F-20s to the inventory cost more than buying 100 new F-16s, even though they cost more than the F-20. The F-20 did cost a lot more once you added the radar and other upgrades that the F-5 lacked.

Originally Posted By: blupupher
Originally Posted By: AZjeff
Isn't the "F" supposed to stand for fighter??

F-117 was not a fighter. It was an attach aircraft, so should have been an "A" designation (Like the A-10).
No idea why it or the F-35 has an F prefix.

Same with the F-111, it should have been the B-111. Technically it was called the FB-111...

Well, it was designed as a fighter for the USN, so F-111 is not inaccurate. The F-111B was panned by the Navy's Test Pilots because it was a pig, with poor visibility, poor maneuverability, no gun, really lousy supersonic maneuverability and poor landing and deck handling characteristics. It was killed, and from its ashes rose the F-14; with swing wings, same radar, a weight reduction of 20,000lbs, a gun, excellent visibility, excellent maneuverability, and, you get the idea.

When the USAF modified the airplane, in some later models, for SAC use, it was called the FB-111. Derived from a fighter, but working as a nuclear bomber... When the USAF modified it for Electronic Attack, those airplanes were EF-111.

The nomenclature logic held in that airplane...though it really never was a fighter...it was designed as one...

I have been told by credible sources that naming the F-117 with a fighter designation (it really is a light bomber) was based upon getting highly qualified fighter pilots into the program. At the time, Tactical Air Command recruiting crews (they could have been from HQ USAF also) went to the fighter squadrons, cherry picked the best pilots and asked them to volunteer for a very special secret fighter program. After having them sign non-disclosures, they gave them just enough info to entice them into the program.

Selling a highly classified fighter was a lot easier than selling a light bomber. If they called it an "A" or "B" airframe, they would still be trying to find fighter pilots to volunteer.

An added benefit was confusing the Soviets. Who would believe the Americans would have a fighter plane with no guns, radar or air to air missiles? That really had to confound the planning process.

Astro is spot on about the F-111. Both services called it McNamara's folly. A joint "fighter" for the Air Force and the Navy, it was optimized for neither. In refusing it, I have to say well played Navy, well played. The USAF hated it so much it was the only airframe that was never given an official nickname (crews informally called it the Aardvark). The airframe proved without equal as a smart bombing platform during the first Gulf War, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back