Cold running modern diesels...

Status
Not open for further replies.
My 17 6.7 runs around 94-98 C when unloaded and the same when loaded. My oil temp follows the coolant temp nicely as well. Appears the oil cooler works as advertised.

My gassers all run about the same coolant temp as well.

I find that 2.8 unusually low.

Originally Posted By: Shannow
My new VM 2.8 (Duramax 2.8) in the Colorado only ever gets to 78C "engine temperature"..., and most I've been able to push it to is 81C, with a rapid recovery back to 78.

Find it interesting, as obviously the Dexos 2 oil is running a loooong way from what most of us consider "normal" for a 3.5+ HTHS oil.

Find it interesting on the ability to boil off water and unburned fuel.

Pretty sure that it's a NOx control (Oz Duramx 2.8 has nowehere to add blue), but it's really low compared to where I'm used to.

Coolant temperature or oil temperature?

and if oil temperature, is it measured (can you see an oil temp sensor or find a part number) or estimated/calculated?

Originally Posted By: Linctex
My new VM 2.8 (Duramax 2.8) in the Colorado

Interesting how VM now has an agreement with GM..... here, VM has the go-to for small diesels (V6, though) in Dodge/Jeep vehicles. None too terribly reliable from what I'm hearing.

I'm thinking if it has the Duramax name on it, they'll uphold their reputation.

I've found the engines themselves to be very durable and reliable but every vehicle manufacturer will add it's own ancilliaries and fuel injection equipment, and that's where you get issues.

Originally Posted By: Jetronic
Originally Posted By: Linctex
My new VM 2.8 (Duramax 2.8) in the Colorado

Interesting how VM now has an agreement with GM..... here, VM has the go-to for small diesels (V6, though) in Dodge/Jeep vehicles. None too terribly reliable from what I'm hearing.

I'm thinking if it has the Duramax name on it, they'll uphold their reputation.

I've found the engines themselves to be very durable and reliable but every vehicle manufacturer will add it's own ancilliaries and fuel injection equipment, and that's where you get issues.

This. VM Motori makes an excellent engine, then the US EPA strangles it.

And diesels usually run best when loaded. Then they heat up nicely. This is one of the reasons we never use diesels in our biz, they simply aren't loaded enough by our aftermarket equipment during stationary operation, hence not enough heat generated...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: dustyroads
Originally Posted By: motor_oil_madman
Originally Posted By: dustyroads
That sure seems a bit cool. My 12.8L Detroit runs 205-210F (96-99C I think) while loafing along on level ground (@ 80k lbs). With an empty trailer (30k lbs) it runs about 200F. Pushing through a considerable wind or climbing a moderate grade it will run 210-215 while loaded.

The Detroit has a variable speed water pump controlled by the engine computer. It limits the impeller speed to the minimum necessary to keep the engine safe. I wonder if this is a common thing among modern engines...I haven't looked into it.

Maybe that's what they did to accommodate these thinner 10w30 diesel oils they're starting to use now for whatever reason.

Well I don't know. My engine runs warmer than anything I've ever had and running thinner oil than ever before. The variable speed water pump is letting things stay as warm as is safe to save energy (as far as I know). The thin oils would only get thinner still in the higher running temps. Unfortunately, I don't know what my oil temps run in the Detroit. Someday I will take care of that.

My apologies to motor_oil_madman and everyone else who was confused by my yapping about coolant temps rather than oil temps. I saw "engine temperature" in the OP and went with coolant temps in my little mind. I'm pretty sure my oil temps are at least equal to or much higher than the water, anyway. It's not a cool running engine.

170-175F

My VM runs typically at 203F water and a few degrees warmer for the oil. It has urea injection.

Ed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back