One shot - one kill. New record of 2.14 miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
My northerbrother rocks !
As for NAFTA ? Make trade with Canada & Mexico even better - and you will not need a wall when the made in China (Walmart) cheap stuff comes from Mexico ... (but, Maersk will not like it either) ...
We need to make premium goods in Canada/US.

Fooling around with a ballistics calculator that only goes to 2000 yards, standard 647gr .50 BMG ammo would have 80 feet of elevation at 1200 yards and a velocity of 921 fps at a 2000 yard zero. Add 1700 more yards..amazing.

Originally Posted By: IndyIan
I guess if you got creative with spotting it could be like calling in artillery... Shooting over 10 story buildings from the ground. The sniper team must've did their homework to get shots close enough to see to call corrections on.

Take a look at some of the old WWI .303 Enfields with the volley sights.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: Garak
Originally Posted By: IndyIan
I guess if you got creative with spotting it could be like calling in artillery... Shooting over 10 story buildings from the ground. The sniper team must've did their homework to get shots close enough to see to call corrections on.

Take a look at some of the old WWI .303 Enfields with the volley sights.
wink.gif

Whatever the US .45-70 Gov thing was back in the day had them as well.

Rather then trying to hit something, that was to prepare a "beaten path" in which no-one feared to tread...the "range" could be predicted pretty well.

Reading again the article there is no statement to what rifle was used! Only the two previous record setting rifles use to "reach out and touch someone"
My personal favorite slogan is "Don't run, you'll will only die tired"

Originally Posted By: Shannow
Rather then trying to hit something, that was to prepare a "beaten path" in which no-one feared to tread...the "range" could be predicted pretty well.

Yep, I had one with them, and one without, some years back. My grandfather was a WWI vet, so he had some stories. But, he was artillery.

Great accomplishment for Canadian Military. Canada can play an important role in NATO and other war zones, we don't have the money to lead the pack, but as you can see with specific specialized training we can still strike fear in the enemy.

There's youtube footage of an Aussie couple getting on steel at about 2.5 miles, but it of course wasn't moving, and they were using .338 Lapua which has a better ballistic coefficient. Getting out there with a .50BMG is that much more impressive!

Originally Posted By: Ducked
Originally Posted By: AZjeff
His spotter could watch the trace and call corrections and the BGs wouldn't know they were being shot at until one was hit.

Does the round go subsonic at that range? If its still supersonic, that's usually very audible.

I think he's referring to the disturbance of the air around the bullet. I think that I've read that you can see what amounts to a shimmer of sorts in the air coming from the vicinity of the bullet.

Pretty much all rounds will be subsonic at that distance. You'll hear the round hit before you heard where the shot came from...if you can actually hear it clearly at that range.

Originally Posted By: AZjeff
Fooling around with a ballistics calculator that only goes to 2000 yards, standard 647gr .50 BMG ammo would have 80 feet of elevation at 1200 yards and a velocity of 921 fps at a 2000 yard zero. Add 1700 more yards..amazing.

That bullet would have lost a lot of speed! Way below Mach 1 with all that cumulative drag. And the massive drop, definitely artillery style..... Still lethal, just not that penetrating.

And what keeps it from tumbling at the end, with such a long shot? Maybe we now need stabilizing pop-out fins on these super-long-range sniper rounds.

Originally Posted By: bioburner
Reading again the article there is no statement to what rifle was used!

...then you didn't bother to read any other articles available online.

It was a McMillan Tac-50

A 750 grain 50 has a G1 BC of over 1.0 and has a muzzle velocity of approximately 2,800 fps for an energy of 13,000.
A 300 grain .338 Berger Tac has a BC of .820 and a muzzle velocity of 2,750 fps for an energy of 5,040.
A 300 RUM is nipping at the heels of the .338 LM and far cheaper to shoot.
A 26 Nosler is nipping at the heels of the 300 RUM.

Best of all is the hillbilly potato M666 artillery. Ten feet of pcv pipe, a potato and starter fluid.
Second place goes to the leaf spring/boat trailer cross bow that shoots re-bar.

Reading again the article there is no statement to what rifle was used! Only the two previous record setting rifles use to "reach out and touch someone"

It was a McMillan TAC-50 in a CADEX chassis.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL

It was a McMillan TAC-50 in a CADEX chassis.
Nice rig
smile.gif
I wonder where they get their ammo, as I am guessing they use custom loaded ammunition not general ball ammo. JTF-2 guys get the best of the best equipment.

My fault for not explaining I wasn't talking about the drop of the bullet. I was referring to the curve of the Earth.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back