3 off Crown Vic, 5W20, Las Vegas, 15,000 miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Per the title, 3 off Crown Vics
Taxi Service in Las Vegas
Operation under generally similar conditions.
No make-up needed to 3,000 miles.
1-2qts needed to get to 15,000 miles.

CV%20various%20mileage.jpg

What say the UOA experts on the serviceability of these oils in these engines ?

Where did the Fe go ? (sludge???)

Looks like 5K-7.5K miles is all the first 2 oils are really good for as TBN/TAN cross over. My 4.6 Lincoln gets 3K-4K/6 month oil changes, mostly because I don't drive it enough.

I would have expected better results from this fleet. Others have suggested that running oils past 3K miles only shows less and less wear as the miles are piled on, even as the viscosity thickens up considerably. These results don't seem to support that theory. Not a believer in 5w-20 for the 4.6 Lincoln/Crown Vic/Grand Marquis engines. I've had several of them now, all running 5w-30 as originally specced from 1993-2000. Las Vegas is HOT too where that extra viscosity couldn't hurt any.

Originally Posted By: 69GTX
Others have suggested that running oils past 3K miles only shows less and less wear as the miles are piled on, even as the viscosity thickens up considerably. These results don't seem to support that theory.

Just as a heads up...these ARE the three cars in the cam/lifter produces less wear study.

Clearly there's a difference between a bench cam/lifter study on a benchtop, and what was ACTUALLY going on the the engines that the oil was obtained from.

Looks like the constant Las Vegas heat is oxidizing the oil in taxi service. They've all thickened out of grade between 5,000 and 7,500 miles, and TBN never reaches a number that on it's own suggests the oil needs changing. Only the TAN crossover indicates any issue on that front.

No idea how to interpret the wear metals. Do the high levels at 3,000 (and in one case higher) miles suggest wear metals in sludge areas are being liberated by the fresh oil?

Viscosity ran nicely off the rails by the end. As I've mentioned many times, the taxis went always to 6,000 mile (10,000 km) OCIs with Quaker State conventional. On those engines that did need a new camshaft (wonderful Chevy small blocks), there was no sludging. We were able to go double the severe service OCI without penalty.

Originally Posted By: CharlieBauer
No idea how to interpret the wear metals. Do the high levels at 3,000 (and in one case higher) miles suggest wear metals in sludge areas are being liberated by the fresh oil?
Very strange Fe fluctuations. That should be cumulative, with NO oil change, right?????

And people keep talking about sludge in these Vegas vehicles in a warm climate where they almost never run cold. Very few cold cycles.
Pistons WPD would be the big issue, not sludge.

If not for tan 15k would be great. Agree that 10w30 would be much more linear and stand up to the service better. Maybe even the 15w30 are from Delo would be a good choice.

Originally Posted By: CT8
What does 3 off mean?

3 Crown Vics, with different oils, run in taxi service in Vegas for 15,000 miles...

Originally Posted By: oil_film_movies
Reference Source? Where did these come from, and when? GF-3 and GF-4 are fossils.

http://papers.sae.org/2007-01-4133/

Originally Posted By: userfriendly
I think I found the missing Fe from the UOA:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=trrQtgWa-GQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FEqkXmqz5mA

The economics of extended oil change intervals backed up with a UOA program.

Now come on....those videos are about total neglect, not extended drains. People who extend drains and spend money on analysis may or may not come out ahead, but if it's of interest to them to experiment then great...no harm. People who just don't change their oil period, is another story.

Extend away then using the BITOG standard of wear metal evidence based UOAs and ignoring the condition of the lubricant.
At the very least, you will burn more in fuel than savings on motor oil. Maybe add a few more minutes on that long slow grade.
At worst, you will trash the engine and ancillary equipment like the air pump.
But have at it, each to his or her own.

Here is a video from Chevron-Caltex on UOAs.
The question asked by Shannow was; Where did the Fe go?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V6XIPDoP_pU

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back