4L80e

Status
Not open for further replies.
Forward Hub Tech.......

First thing you want to do is make SURE you have a 4L80E Forward Hub & not a TH400 hub! They are dimensionally the same & builders will swap them out because they don't know any better. The 4L80E hub is made of cast steel, The TH400 hub is cast iron. Lightly strike the hub with a wrench, The 4L80E hub will sound like a bell, The TH400 hub will make a dull thud. The 4L80E hub is not only stronger but more wear resistant....The main shaft will wear into a cast iron TH400 hub!

End Play, Forward Hub to Direct Drum specs.......
Using a Thrust Washer..... .008"-.015"
Using a Torrington Bearing....... .003"-.008"

If using a Thrust Washer between the Forward Hub & Direct Drum, You will need to buy a thicker Thrust Washer as no shims are available for this location.
Stock Plastic or Brass thrust thickness...... .059"-.064"
Sonnax Part# 34301-078 ...... .078"
Sonnax Part# 34301-094....... .094" This is the one usually needed.

Rollerizing the Forward Hub.....
This is highly recommended mod.....Almost needed if your trans spends long stints in low gear.

The best fitting bearing to use is a final drive sun gear bearing out of a Ford AXOD Part# E6DZ-7F404-A
Ford has discontinued this part, But Green Sales has them in stock Phone# 1-800-543-4959

Machining the Forward Hub rear thrust pad is necessary, Be very careful on your measurements because you will need to set Forward Hub to Direct Drum end play with the machining.

Start with +.035"......Lets say the bearing is .150", The original thrust is .064"
.150"-.064"=.086", .086"-.035"=.051"........051" is what you need to remove from the Thrust Pad. These are hypothetical numbers!! Measure your new Bearing & old thrust BEFORE machining!! You have to set-up each transmission individually when blueprinting!!

Checking Forward Hub to Direct Drum end play, Stack the gear train up to the Direct drum, Place the Forward Hub over the Main Shaft, Hold the forward hub down with your palms & lift the direct drum with your fingers.....The play you feel is the end play.....Pictures......

Check Forward Hub to Direct Drum end play, I know.....Same picture as above, But I'm talking different parts

4L80E Forward Hub that has been machined for a bearing next to a stock TH400 Forward Hub

Bearing installed at +.035" which worked perfect on my personal '97 4L80E & does on most 4L80E's, Next to the TH400 hub with a stock plastic thrust washer

Ford AXOD final drive Sun Gear Bearing

Front Unit End-Play......

I want to get this end-play stuff out of the way, It's boring the [censored] out of me!

Recap.....There are 4 locations that need the end-play set.
Rear Unit.
Reaction Carrier to Center Support.
Forward Hub to Direct Drum.
Front Unit.

Front Unit end-play is from the "front" of the Forward Hub thrust washer face to the Stator Support thrust washer face.
The published specs for this are WRONG as they do not take it account rear unit end-play Special attention here is critical to achieve the correct end-play!

You want the Front End-Play to be .002"-.005 Greater than the NEW Rear Unit End-Play.....If you have .003" rear unit, You want .005"-.008" front unit. It has to be greater than rear unit end-play because of the thrust that is inherent to helical cut gear sets. If you have .008" rear unit & .005 front unit....The Carriers can thrust the entire unit into the Stator Support Thrust Washer & destroy it very quickly!

Sonnax 34298-078 is .015" thicker than the factory thrust washer that sits between the Forward Hub & Forward Clutch Drum, Do Not shim this location more than .015"! I recommend this thrust so you can take up end-play from both ends, Not just one. You will probably need it, But.....You can "empty" stack the front just to see.

With the unit stacked up to the Direct drum, Set the Forward Hub on the Main Shaft with both Thrusts/Or the Bearing & Thrust installed, Set the EMPTY Forward Clutch Drum over the Forward Hub making sure it's centered & sitting on the Thrust, Place the Torrington Bearing on the Forward Clutch Drum, Drop in the Overdrive Carrier & Overrun Hub, (Do Not install the Overdrive Clutch Hosing) Install the pump to case gasket, Install the Pump with the selectable Stator Thrust washer....But without the Sealing Rings or Pump O-ring, Tighten the pump bolts to 18 ft. lbs.

The Input Shaft "floats" in the Overdrive Carrier Broach/Splines & moves about 1/8" up & down, You need to take up this slack by hand BEFORE taking an end-play reading using the Input Shaft....If this is confusing, Tell me so I can explain it a different way!!!!!
If the Front end-play is to loose, You will need to purchase a thicker Stator Support Thrust washer.

Your temporarily stacking the front part of the trans above the Direct Drum, Measure end-play, Order parts if needed, Then you can build the Forward Drum

Sonnax 34298-078 replaces THIS Thrust washer on the Forward Hub, Will tighten Front Unit End-Play by .015"

Selective Thrust Washer Color ID & Thickness

Where the selectable Thrust sits on the Pump, I call it the Stator Support Thrust, GM calls it the Overrun Clutch Housing Thrust

Input Shaft, Overdrive Carrier & Overrun Clutch Housing assembled

Boost Valve & Sleeve

Sonnax 4L80E-LB1 Boost Valve, Sleeve, & 10% over Pressure Regulator Spring will produce 185 PSI to 195 PSI with a good/sound pump at maximum demand(MAX EPC) in D4 & D3. Good to 600 ft.lbs., If you have more.....You have to run a stronger PR Spring or shim the spring you have. You must de-burr the Boost Valve Sleeve bore where the Snap Ring rides or the O-rings on the sleeve with be cut during install, This is easily done with some fine Emroy Cloth.

Stock Boost Valve & PR Spring(top), Sonnax LB1(bottom)

Coat the O-rings with TransJel, Use locking needle nosed pliers to aid installation

Last edited:
I had every intention of finishing this thread, Photobucket has decided to charge $400 a year for hosting 3rd party pictures.......NOT going to happen!
If & when you get into this trans I will help in anyway I can by text.

Is there any other way to have access to those helpful/explanatory/informative pics?

Originally Posted By: JiL
Is there any other way to have access to those helpful/explanatory/informative pics?

My Photobucket is not locked....You should be able to view my pictures.

I may redo this thread.....I'm not a computer guy, So it may take my forever!

Originally Posted By: SilverFusion2010
Upload them to the forum instead of linking them from ohotobucket

I do not know how....My daughter taught me how to use Photobucket years ago & she has her own life now.

See the icon that has a blue upward pointing arrow on the toolbar above the text box for replies? Just to the right of the icon that looks like a tropical sunset? Click on that then browse to your photo saved location just like you do when uploading to Photobucket.

Step 1:

Step 2:

Step 3:

Step 4:

"Browse" (Step 2) and "Add file from your PC" (Step 3) can be repeated before selecting "All done" (Step 4).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back