This is why you don't put stop leak in your A/C

Status
Not open for further replies.
Compressor didn't fail. It's leaking from the case so I'm replacing it, but it builds pressure and cools fine when it has refrigerant in it.

Last edited:
I agree with you on this. That ac pro junk with that extra garbage in it is not a good idea. Regular r134a is all that is needed in a system like mine and many others. Plus... Regular r134a is much cheaper as well.

That's a poster child for a perfect tube compared to most of what we see. I'm talking every screen pushed in and looking like it was dipped in cooling magma.

Originally Posted By: Chris142
That's not even that dirty. I have some on display that are completely packed.

Agreed... Hard to imagine how the system was still functioning with some I've seen

I've never pulled an orifice tube from an AC system. I was expecting more chunks or complete blockage. I'm not a fan of any all-in-one refrigerant, but if a car's next stop is a junkyard then I'm fine with it.

I admit to using AC Pro in a friend's truck - reading the MSDS reveals that it uses methylene chloride along with a unlisted ingredient as the "system safe" sealer. Probably a seal swell agent. There's much, much, much worse on the market as far as stop leak goes.

Some stop leak products turn into cement when exposed to humidity in the air. Those are real nice to fix.

Last one we did included pulling a dash to replace a plugged evaporator. Cost $2800.

Originally Posted By: bbhero
Wow!! Holy cow.
that included 8 or so hrs @ $90/hr to pull the dash.it was a ford truck with a 6.0 diesel so I have to remove tbe motor mounts and jack the engine up to get to the compressor. Major labor on those.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back