CRJ900 vs. E175

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been a pax in a E175 and really liked the plane, aside from the windows being too low on the cabin wall so I can't see out without twisting my neck. I just planned a trip for Feb 2018 that will involve a leg on a CRJ900 and a leg on an E175 on the return trip.

Anybody have a preference between the two for a 2 hour flight?

I have requested exit row seats through my travel agent but won't know what I wound up with until later today. We shall see. He doesn't seem to save me any money vs. doing it myself, but he gets me better flights, either direct or short layovers, so that in itself makes his services worthwhile.

Old CRJ9 vs E75 on a two hour flight is a no brainer for the E75. If you get a new CRJ900NG, however, it's pretty even. The newer CRJs (American has quite a few) are quite nice.

I notice since you are in Cincy, you are probably flying Delta. I think they have a few newer CR9s, but you might get stuck on an ancient Endeavor Air CRJ900 which will not be a fun ride.

Last edited:
Having flown in CRJs, ERJs and the E-jets, I can tell you that it makes little difference.
Legroom and bin space matter. Leg room is a matter of airline choice and most minimize it.
Bin space in all of these aircraft is limited. Gate checking bags you are only carrying to
avoid bag fees is always your best bet.
See what you think and let us know although 2/18 is a long ways off and the equipment you'll actually fly in by then may be something other than what you booked.

We're on American CVG-CLT-MBJ, then MBJ-MIA-CVG on the return trip. The way the tickets look at the moment, it'll be CRJ900 & B738 on the way down, A320 & E175 on the return trip.

I'll be curious to see what equipment we wind up on.

Then you'll get to sample one of each of these regional aircraft.
CLT is a decent connecting airport while MIA is awful, particularly since you'll be on an international arrival.
Mind where you go in Jamaica. It would probably be best not to strike out on your own although there is a lot to see and the island is very pretty.

It really comes down to the airline. Some of the airlines that fly these small regional jet have comfortable modern seats installed. Others have very old, very uncomfortable seats on them. The Delta regional carriers in my past experience had the worst seats, but the current United regional jets in my more recent experience have newer, more tolerable seats. These are for flights out of CVG.

Guess we'll see what's sitting there at the gate when we arrive at CVG. I have found that I fly much more comfortably if I enjoy an adult beverage or two onboard: makes the time go quicker and my stiffness and lower back pain don't seem quite as intrusive.

The longest flight I've been on as an adult was about 4 hours on an Allegiant Airbus from CVG to Phoenix Mesa Gateway and the last 2 hours or so were pure torture. No matter how much I squirmed I couldn't get comfortable. We had exit row seats so legroom was fine, but those seats didn't like me.

As an aside, I looked up the 3-letter call letters for that airport and found something a little odd: per wikipedia

Most U.S. airports use the same three-letter location identifier for the FAA and IATA, but Phoenix–Mesa Gateway Airport has different codes for each. The aviation community generally uses the FAA code of IWA, while commercial passenger flight organizations use the IATA code of AZA.[5]

Originally Posted By: CincyDavid

As an aside, I looked up the 3-letter call letters for that airport and found something a little odd: per wikipedia

Most U.S. airports use the same three-letter location identifier for the FAA and IATA, but Phoenix–Mesa Gateway Airport has different codes for each. The aviation community generally uses the FAA code of IWA, while commercial passenger flight organizations use the IATA code of AZA.[5]

I believe its because that airport used to be called Williams Air Force Base, but "AZA" is better marketing wise. There is also Maquette, Michigan, who uses MQT for marketing purposes and SAW for ATC purposes (Sawyer Air Force Base) and Kalispell, Montana who uses both FCA (I think Flathead County Airport) and GPI (Glacier Park International).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back