OLM vs Mileage

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: TiredTrucker
While not direct injected, the 2006 LY7 3.6L in our Cadillac called for M1 5w30. The OLM had to be reprogrammed on a recall because it would take oil changes too long and many other owners were experiencing timing chain failures. I ignored the OLM since we bought it and change at around 5000 miles. And, for most of it's time with me, it has only gotten Pennzoil conventional 10w30. 12 years old now and not a hint of a problem with this engine. Car is great shape, so we are keeping this car for some time more. One reason is that tag renewal and insurance now is cheap! Only $50 a year for tags now.

TT, is 10W30 PYB the same oil you run in your Dexos 1 vehicle? I remember you saying you ran a 10W30 in it. Not knocking your choice. Was just curious. Thanks.

Originally Posted By: Sierra048
Originally Posted By: TiredTrucker
While not direct injected, the 2006 LY7 3.6L in our Cadillac called for M1 5w30. The OLM had to be reprogrammed on a recall because it would take oil changes too long and many other owners were experiencing timing chain failures. I ignored the OLM since we bought it and change at around 5000 miles. And, for most of it's time with me, it has only gotten Pennzoil conventional 10w30. 12 years old now and not a hint of a problem with this engine. Car is great shape, so we are keeping this car for some time more. One reason is that tag renewal and insurance now is cheap! Only $50 a year for tags now.

TT, is 10W30 PYB the same oil you run in your Dexos 1 vehicle? I remember you saying you ran a 10W30 in it. Not knocking your choice. Was just curious. Thanks.

Just an update to my comment on this thread. I PM'd TiredTrucker and found out I was incorrect. He does not currently use a 10W30 in his 2015 2500. I was mistaken. My apologies to all.

An OLM gathers information as to how much load is placed on the engine and the temperature at which it is operation. This information is critical to estimating the resulting condition of the oil. I find it odd that people choose to ignore this and instead base their OCI on a simple, almost arbitrary number of miles to schedule their oil change. The OLM isn't perfect but it does provide good information.

As "intelligent" as an OLM might be, I have yet to be convinced that any can measure fuel dilution/viscosity or precisely tell if or what level of ethanol laced gasoline is being used. (Maybe some data from the oxygen sensor re ethanol?) Thinner than required viscosity (from dilution for example) can lead to major problems.

Last edited:
Yet even GM uses distance, time, rpm, fuel consumed, temperature of fluids, ambient temps, etc. It's easy for them to do because they were always tracking this info anyway.

Not a simple algorithm at all, perhaps a complex one...

I didn't want this to go off into a "how does an iOLM work" but was more interested in seeing what people choose to follow. Its not "odd" to go against the OLM, but I'm torn in two different directions. On one hand, my OLM has done some MAJOR complex computations and decided to say its time to change the oil. On the other hand, big oil companies say their oil will survive for xx,000 of miles/KM's.

Originally Posted By: HOG
I didn't want this to go off into a "how does an iOLM work" but was more interested in seeing what people choose to follow. Its not "odd" to go against the OLM, but I'm torn in two different directions. On one hand, my OLM has done some MAJOR complex computations and decided to say its time to change the oil. On the other hand, big oil companies say their oil will survive for xx,000 of miles/KM's.

Since every car is a unique organism due to the driver and conditions, no one mileage number is worth the powder to blow it to (insert expletive). That's why we use the OLM in our service vehicles. It even takes into account our stationary operations. Since most OLM's are set up for "ordinary" oil you can just upgrade to a premium name to get a bit of extra protection.

I go by mileage in my cars (except for my wife's new car, I let the dealer handle that) . I don't do uoa because it cheaper to just change it as I have a ton of clearance oil in my stash. My 04 CTS has the 3.6 vvt, the original owner let the dealer change the oil approx every 10k w Mobil 1 based on all reciepts kept (I assume he went by OLM). I'm using syn blend in it and will go 3-5k mile oci. So far, no consumption or timing belt issues. Knock on wood. I also do 5k oci on my escalade and my daughter's Camry.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back