5w-20 vs 5w-30 in a 2017 Elantra

Status
Not open for further replies.
In my oil stash was 4 jugs of Pennzoil Platinum 5w-30 with receipts. The vehicle I was saving them for was just sold. I found out after installing a EZ Oil Valve I will be able to do an oil change with car just parked in the garage. Filter is easy to get to. Looks like a piece of cake.

The first oil change was done at the dealer with 5w-20 Vavoline Premium. Owner's manual says you can use either 5w-20 or 5w-30 year round, but to have better fuel economy use 5w-20 and the 5w-30 will give better wear protection when it is hot out.

My thinking is the PP 5w-30 will flow fine in the St Louis winter since it is synthetic. Next oil change is due this fall. I think the PP 5w-30 will protect better in the summer. I am not expecting a big drop in MPG. Currently, highway mileage is low to upper 40's and mixed average is 32 mpg. I do drive 4 miles to a job site 4 times per week with one long trip of 40 plus miles weekly.

To comply with warranty I will need to change the oil every 6-months. Do you have any info, red flags, blessings, etc with my plan?

Once I use up this oil I may go back to 5w-20. I just don't want to buy extra oil before using this older stock up first if I can help it. Thanks in advance!

Since you say it's listed as an option in the owner's manual, I'd say running 5W-30 year-round is an excellent plan.

Originally Posted By: Linctex
I'd mix it 50/50 with new 0w-20, but that's just me.

I used to mix oils, but not with this vehicle. Trying to save money and time. Changing oil at dealership took 2 hours if you count travel time. The manual says to take your car to the dealership to have the oil changed in another section. Would like to keep it simple. The burden is on me to provide receipts and show what was put in the car.

Now, I thought of getting some PP 5w-20 and running it this winter. Then change to 5w-30 in the Spring. But, I am not sure it is necessary and I already have 2 years of oil in stock.

Originally Posted By: Slick17601
PP is on the thinner side of the 30 scale. Put it in and sleep well.

Maybe that is why I my oil burning Saturn drank it faster than most oils. I knew there was a reason I saved it for the Lexus.

I'd just run the 5W-30 and not think twice.

I have 0W-40 in my Elantra.
57.gif

Run 5w30 year round, even after your stash is used up.

My Sonata calls for the same oil specs as your car, it'll only see 5w30 or 10w30 since it allows for it.

Based on the chart, both 5w20 and 5w30 will work fine as well as 10w30 possibly being a better option in warmer temps. However, what I did not see is a mention of whether or not they were referring to synthetic or conventional oil... which leads me to believe they are referring to conventional... I think a syn 5w20 would easily work well all year, but I think I would go 5w30 year around as well for simplicity.. but I wouldnt hesitate to use 5w20 either.

Thanks! I will use it now and sleep well. It should take me a few years to use it up and I will report back for what oil to use next.
cool.gif

Classic BITOG overthinking.

This:

Originally Posted By: Chewie
Since you say it's listed as an option in the owner's manual, I'd say running 5W-30 year-round is an excellent plan.

I used to run PP 5w-20 in '14 Forte and now run PP 5w-30 and noticed no difference in gas mileage thou engine seems to run a tad quieter and smoother.
Will be running 5w-30 from now on. Another interesting thing with PP, the only oil they claim cleans whatever % best is 5w-30, they make no cleaning claims with other weights.

Originally Posted By: KD0AXS
I'd just run the 5W-30 and not think twice.

I have 0W-40 in my Elantra.
57.gif

Bingo! I wouldn't even buy or use 5w20 for that vehicle since the manual allows 5w30. All our 12 KIA (with the Hyundai Lambda II engine) has seen is 5w30 in nearly 5 years, other than a couple of winter runs where I used up some 5w20 purchased at a smokin' price.

It currently has Edge 0w40 in it. Not one whit of difference in the way it starts or runs with any of them, nor any fuel mileage difference that is enough to even notice.

Due to CAFE bucks they stamp 5w20 on the oil fill cap, but right there in the manual they flat out tell you if any real stress is to be placed on the oil (towing or high heat) to jump to a 30 grade. That right there tells me a 20 grade is "adequate" but not "optimum" for a Hyundai/KIA engine. I am not an "adequate" kind of guy in anything I do.

Originally Posted By: Kuato
Classic BITOG overthinking.

This:

Originally Posted By: Chewie

I am also trying to deal with the psychology of Hyundai. Everything printed says go to the dealership for oil changes. I have heard of them playing hard ball for warranty work. So it is more of using the carpenters rule: measure twice, cut once. I kinda knew the answer that the oil is OK, just need some confirmation my thinking process was right.

As an aside, I have read a lot of discussions of the Theta II engine failure. I do not fully trust Hyundai. I think the 5w-30 will provide better protection for the engine during the heat of the summer. Most of oil related problems have been the oil not dealing with heat. I would rather have a little more oil film on the internal parts to reduce potential problems down the road.

For Hyundai DI Engines I believe the best off the shelf oil is M1 10W30 (if your temps don't get below 0F). Hyundai allows for 10W30 and the M1 has low calcium as high calcium (such as in PP) can possibly cause pinging (LSPI) in DI engines (more so with turbo DI) .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back