Bearing skate

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was told by a Harley Davidson tech that Harley would void my warranty if I used Amsoil or Mobile 1 MC oil. Causes bearing skate. Anybody every hear of this?

Harley would need to provide tangible evidence of that being true in order to void any warranties for using those or any other non-HD products.

I'm still waiting for any OEM in the world to provide such evidence for similar claims I've heard over the years.

In other words; no, that is not a thing I've ever heard of being true. Maybe I'll be proven wrong by HD's research group, but I haven't seen anything of the sort before.

For any manufacturer to call out a specific brand of oil is highly unusual, as long as the oil carries the required specification and is of an appropriate grade. Does it meet those requirements?

And what exactly is "bearing skate"? I looked it up but all I get is skateboard bearings.

Thanks for the reply. I have been riding Harleys for almost 50 years. I have been doing all my own maintenance and have been using synthetics for the last 17 years on 6 different Harleys. I thought that the "bearing skate" nonsense had been put to rest literally decades ago. I brought my new HD M-8 in for "warranty" work due to a VERY noisy lifter upon start up. The tech blamed the oil and gave me a talking to about synthetic oil. Maybe I need a break from HD.

This is all about using Scare Tactics in Marketing. Harley wants to sell their branded oil. So much so that they are willing to say anything, that achieves that goal.

Originally Posted By: bigal51
Thanks for the reply. I have been riding Harleys for almost 50 years. I have been doing all my own maintenance and have been using synthetics for the last 17 years on 6 different Harleys. I thought that the "bearing skate" nonsense had been put to rest literally decades ago. I brought my new HD M-8 in for "warranty" work due to a VERY noisy lifter upon start up. The tech blamed the oil and gave me a talking to about synthetic oil. Maybe I need a break from HD.

test ride a Honda with a DCT transmission.

Ok, this "Bearing skate" was a lie that Harley told their customers 25 years ago when they didn't market a synthetic oil. "bearing skate" was supposedly caused by synthetic oil being "too slippery" and the roller bearing would not turn in the cage and that caused major engine damage. I can't believe that in 2017 there are actually HD mechanics that believe this. I have been using syn oil in 7 Harley Davidsons in the last 17 years and never had any oil related problems.

Bearing skate caused by oil that is too slippery is nonsense. Bearing skate (or "skidding" as it is called by bearing people) is typically caused by high rotational acceleration or high rotational speeds with little axial or radial loading.

And better yet.......Now HD sells their own synthetic oil, Screamin Eagle Full Synthetic oil. Hd was laughable at one time. "Don't use any kind of platinum spark plug, stock HD plugs only or It'll mess up the ignition." Yet at the first service they highly recommended Screamin' Eagle (YEP) platinum plugs.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: montero1
My local Harley dealer sells Amsoil.
Amsoil makes a non bearing skate oil only sold at the HD dealers.

I guess that HD looks down on anyone who does their own maintenance. HD is probably the easiest motorcycle to maintain in the industry. I do it by the book. (first thing I do for any vehicle I own is to buy a service manual) I've lost a lot of respect for Harley. Thinking of trading it in on a BMW but they are WAY more maintenance intensive. Decisions, Decisions. Thanks for all the Replys!
04.gif

Maybe switching oil brands will fix the problem, but don't let one knucklehead put you off HD if you like them. No way they will void your warranty if you're using an oil that meets the specs listed in the manual.

Originally Posted By: skyactiv
Mechanics/Techs often have dumb opinions on motor oil brands.

Bingo. Techs are techs..they aren't some definitive source on policy administration.

HD seems really bad about trying to sell the entire "lifestyle" and with that comes their insistence that you buy only HD branded items. What a joke.

HD dealers sell a lot of products that aren't HD branded. My dealer sells Amsoil, Klotz, Vance & Hines, Saddlemen seats and bags etc.

A lot of mechanics and service advisors give answers and advice that are very wrong. you can absolutely use Amsoil. I know many people who use Amsoil in their Harleys - many swear that it shifts much better with Amsoil... My brother in law rides ALOT of miles on his Road King and uses only Amsoil. I also have a long-time friend who has owned a powersports and ope dealer; he is factory trained in fixing all of it; and he laughs at the mfrs "mandates" for fluids. He loves Amsoil, Klotz, Motul....

I was told by a Harley Davidson tech that Harley would void my warranty if I used Amsoil or Mobile 1 MC oil. Causes bearing skate. Anybody every hear of this?

Hahahahahahaha!!
grin.gif
This AGAIN?

Harley dealers started telling people this back in the 1980's sometime...

I have YET to see any evidence of it occurring,
and I have seen a LOT of Harley engine bearings.

Thanks for the trip down memory lane!
I had forgotten about this "rumor"!
grin.gif

My evo has 100k on house brand oil.

I now use walmart 15w40 in 122* weather and it doesn't burn oil nor over heat.

Ill go to Walmart 20w50 when it does...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back