2017 Nissan Rogue Rental from Enterprise

Status
Not open for further replies.
Since my Chevrolet Cruze rental review thread was quite successful, I feel compelled to offer a review of a 2017 Nissan Rogue rental I picked up from Enterprise while my BMW is in the shop again.

Hits:
Fuel economy - the trip computer shows a real world average of 29.8mpg over a lifetime of 20,000 miles. That's excellent for a vehicle this size.
Steering feel - Direct, and well-weighted. Smooth.
Braking - Easy to modulate, although the pedal has a little more mush than ideal.
Gauges - Intuitive and well designed, and well-placed.
Interior - Good quality feel for this vehicle's price range. Seats are comfortable.

Misses:
Engine - More vibration than I think is acceptable for a 2017 car. It's a QR25 from what I could tell when I opened the hood. A tiny non-turbo four cylinder. While I drove the car I thought to myself "This car feels like it has a 180hp/200tq engine, weighs 3800lb, and has a 0-60 of probably 9 seconds." Well, I overestimated the HP and the weight, but the 0-60 was spot on. Car & Driver clocked it 9.1 to 60 here: http://www.caranddriver.com/nissan/rogue
Nissan has been good at wringing decent acceleration and fuel economy out of its four cylinder models, but this particular one is underpowered. Midrange power is lacking and it struggles to accelerate up steep hills.
Cargo space - Very disappointing. For hauling it has two huge humps for the wheel wells and interior trim that severely curtail the width of any object you want to place flat. Forget about drywall or OSB, even diagonally, there just isn't enough space.
Interior controls - Some buttons and dials were placed in counter intuitive spots. For example, 'sport' and 'eco' modes were put to the left on the dashboard in no man's land, where in other cars it usually straddles the shift selector.
Handling - A lot more sway and plowing than you'd expect. Felt mushy like a 1990s car when taking turns. Not confidence inspiring in spirited driving. Nissan is a 'sport' presenting brand but this model, for all of its racy looks, does not handle the part.

Overall, I think this car would have been great for 2007. But today the marketplace is simply more competitive and this offering feels like its behind the times. I think Car & Driver's rating of 3/5 suffices.

I was surprised to see the inability to haul a sheet of plywood listed as a con. I'm not sure anyone purchasing in this segment has that on their list of necessary capabilities. I know one wouldn't fit in my wife's Rav4 either.

That's just a minor comment. I enjoyed the review - the Rogue has always been interesting to me, but it's hard to pick over a Rav4 or CRV. I know we went Rav4.

Yeah, of all the compact CUVs I test drove, I liked the Rogue the least in terms of just driving and I wanted to like it best. However I thought the packaging was very good for the way I'd be using the vehicle. Vehicles that I test drove & compared to the Rogue were:

CR-V
CX-5
EQUINOX
RAV4
TERRAIN

Actually, interms of driving, comfort/quiet, ride solidity w/ decent handling, body structure & passenger comfort, I liked the GMs the best.

FWIW: We have a '14 Rogue SL (AWD) and I just completed a 10+ hour drive (each way) from Chicago and back with limited stops. I got ~31MPG with the AC on and three adults w/luggage. I'm 6'2" and 300lbs. I can honestly say that this is the most comfortable driving car I've ever owned but I haven't owned big luxury cars in the the past so YMMV.

I can relate to the CVT comments and the under-powered nature of the naturally aspirated 2.5L engine. This car really needs a turbo!

Originally Posted By: Char Baby
Yeah, of all the compact CUVs I test drove, I liked the Rogue the least in terms of just driving and I wanted to like it best. However I thought the packaging was very good for the way I'd be using the vehicle. Vehicles that I test drove & compared to the Rogue were:

CR-V
CX-5
EQUINOX
RAV4
TERRAIN

Actually, interms of driving, comfort/quiet, ride solidity w/ decent handling, body structure & passenger comfort, I liked the GMs the best.

Yet-the Rogue outsells just about all you mentioned-

http://www.goodcarbadcar.net/2017/04/usa...ete-top-20.html

Originally Posted By: CKN

CR-V
CX-5
EQUINOX
RAV4
TERRAIN

How does it compare to the others in terms of OTD price?

Best selling doesn't necessarily mean best car from an enthusiast point of view. Most buyers aren't able to discern the characteristics the OP discusses.

And BTW, when we bought our cute ute getting a sheet of drywall in wasn't even on the radar. The current Rogue is much better looking than the last one, was also wondering if pricing is driving up sales.

CR-V
CX-5
EQUINOX
RAV4
TERRAIN

McDonald's is the best selling sandwich. Does that mean it's the best?

Originally Posted By: dishdude

CR-V
CX-5
EQUINOX
RAV4
TERRAIN

Those are the hollow arguments used by BITOG members that don't really matter. Because sales is where the money is made.

Originally Posted By: double vanos
L_Sludger, keep the reports coming! I love them.
yeah I work for enterprise and I get to drive rentals all the time. I love hearing what bitogers think about what they rented.

Quote:
Because sales is where the money is made.

But what does that have to do with the fact that the previous poster did not like it? We all like different things.

Sounds like the Terrain I had as a rental a few weeks ago. The engine was so underpowered I could barely make it up a hill. Merging into traffic? Forget about it. The V6 is nice from what I hear, but the 4-cylinder was a dog. The handling was "meh". Interior quality was decent - stitching was coming off of the steering wheel. Paint was coming off of the trunk where the latch is and starting to rust. Had about 29,800 miles on it I believe.

Originally Posted By: joegreen
Originally Posted By: double vanos
L_Sludger, keep the reports coming! I love them.
yeah I work for enterprise and I get to drive rentals all the time. I love hearing what bitogers think about what they rented.

Does Enterprise have any Transit Connect vans?

Originally Posted By: dishdude

It's the best at giving you a hellacious stomach ache haha

I always considered full sized suv's as being modern day station wagons. Are compact suv's like modern day Chevettes?

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
I always considered full sized suv's as being modern day station wagons. Are compact suv's like modern day Chevettes?

If you consider the compact CUVs total junk like the Chevettes were.

I like your review. As the owner of a 2015, I agree with some points: the engine is very course, but works much better with the CVT than does my Sentra. the seats are comfortable? hmmm.... I wish I could adjust mine to be comfortable for me. 3 hours in the Rogue last week was torture. the 1100 miles I did in the Sentra the three days before was much more comfortable - I don't know why. The best driving cute ute is supposed to be the Mazda; at least in that class. I'm curious - did you actually calculate the mpg? I have never calc'd my Rogue against the display. the one on my Sentra is 3-4 mpg off. Cargo space is also not great - although I find that's a common trait in many ute's.

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm

If you consider the compact CUVs total junk like the Chevettes were.

Yet, in 1980, "Chevette sales totaled more than 451,000 units — a figure that would rank it second only to Chevy's new Citation, which had a much longer model run (sales had started in April 1979)." (Wikipedia)

That's quite a few more sales in a single year than the Rogue has ever had.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back