Kroil compared to PB Blaster

Status
Not open for further replies.
old1 asked "I want to try the ATF acetone mix. What is the mix ratio?" over a month ago.

It's 50:50 and needs to be shaken while working with it.
I mix it in an empty saline solution bottle for contact lens wearers because it has a flip top and a very small opening for control.

+1 for or kroil, effortlessly removed rusted on lug nuts from a saltwater boat trailer, they were extremely flaky and I couldn't believe they came off

PB'laster has never worked for me.

Ever.

Liquid wrench made a difference. Kroil makes a bigger difference.

I'll stick with Kroil.

I tossed my remaining couple of cans of PB'laster in the trash once I tried Kroil. They weren't worth keeping.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Astro14
PB'laster has never worked for me.

Ever.

Liquid wrench made a difference. Kroil makes a bigger difference.

I'll stick with Kroil.

I tossed my remaining couple of cans of PB'laster in the trash once I tried Kroil. They weren't worth keeping.

In a previous lifetime when I worked in manufacturing jet engine blades and vanes, the machine shop used one product for opening up tight fittings: kroil.

Its just a shame that you can't get it on the shelf at Walmart, because it would put WD40 and PB out of business pretty darn quickly.

Originally Posted By: Errtt
I'm sold on Kroil.
Haven't tried it yet in a barrel.... yet

I just purchased some Kroil for cleaning a dirty SVT40 bore and it did make a noticeable difference.

When I purchased the rifle, the grooves were dark and dirty looking and with normal shooting and cleaning using Hoppe's 9 and Break Free CLP, the patches would never come clean. I tried some Butch's bore clean, too, and a couple of different types of brushes. Just yesterday, I wrapped a slightly undersized bronze brush with a patch soaked with Kroil and ran it though the bore a few times. Then some dry patches, then a couple more Kroil patches. I didn't have a lot of time to keep working on it but only after 3 or 4 Kroil patches, the grooves are brighter and appear to be coming clean.

It sounds like it will be useful for my automotive projects as well...

Originally Posted By: jjjxlr8
Originally Posted By: Errtt
I'm sold on Kroil.
Haven't tried it yet in a barrel.... yet

I just purchased some Kroil for cleaning a dirty SVT40 bore and it did make a noticeable difference.

When I purchased the rifle, the grooves were dark and dirty looking and with normal shooting and cleaning using Hoppe's 9 and Break Free CLP, the patches would never come clean. I tried some Butch's bore clean, too, and a couple of different types of brushes. Just yesterday, I wrapped a slightly undersized bronze brush with a patch soaked with Kroil and ran it though the bore a few times. Then some dry patches, then a couple more Kroil patches. I didn't have a lot of time to keep working on it but only after 3 or 4 Kroil patches, the grooves are brighter and appear to be coming clean.

It sounds like it will be useful for my automotive projects as well...

Give it a little soak time, you'll be happy you did. I've been using it for cleaning rifle barrels for a long time now, it works well.

Originally Posted By: old1
I want to try the ATF acetone mix. What is the mix ratio?

50/50 for weasel wiz.

UD

Of the two, Kroil is definitely the better choice. It smells sort of like an overly artificial forest-scented bathroom cleaner. Better than PB Blaster but not something you want to use as an air freshener. The best commercial penetrating spray I've ever used though is Schaeffer's Penetro 90. If you're going to go through the trouble of ordering a penetrating fluid online, spend a couple of extra bucks and get the Penetro.

For something that's locally available and easier to get and cheaper to boot, I've been using 3-in-1 Penetrating Oil Spray.

The above examples are only for when I need force of an aerosol spray. 9 times out of 10 however I use my own proprietary mix of 50/50 Type F ATF and Marvel Mystery Oil. Smells and works better than the ATF/Acetone mix in my experience. Pick up a cheap oiler can at Harbor Freight or Wal-Mart and you'll rarely ever buy another penetrating oil unless you've got something that needs oiled that you can't get the oil can in close proximity to and have to rely on a spray.

Originally Posted By: Kira
old1 asked "I want to try the ATF acetone mix. What is the mix ratio?" over a month ago.

It's 50:50 and needs to be shaken while working with it.
I mix it in an empty saline solution bottle for contact lens wearers because it has a flip top and a very small opening for control.

I leave my mix hanging on the wall in an old household spray cleaner bottle . It's been there 5 years now and still sprays fine.so I guess it doesn't eat plastic or it surely would have by now

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back