Front wheel bearings, which brand

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just want to be prepared for this upcoming weekend. Will be checking out more front end components on my Accord.

In the event I need wheel bearings up front, what is the best brand money can buy.

They are the press-in style and I do not want to do this job twice. The hubs in the back, I'll do them every year without a worry.

Thank you.

I have had issues with everything but OEM. Timken I feel like isn't what it used to be and I had SKF that failed in a month. Installed perfectly. If you plan on keeping it for a long time I would stick with OEM

SKF is producing a lot of their bearings in China now, among other places. Quality still seems fine for the most part, but I haven't used many. Most of the SKFs I have bought are sealed hub assemblies for GM trucks...no problems, so far.

NTN/Bower makes bearings in the US still, though I don't know if that's the case for all of their bearings.

Koyo is usually made in Japan.

NAPA carries these and F.A.G. under their Altrom line. The brand you get depends on the specific part number and what they have available. I bought Altrom line bearings for my truck and got Japanese Koyo for the outers and US NTN/Bower for the inners. I haven't used them yet, but they look great.

Last edited:
National, Timken, F.A.G, or SKF are my main go to for good bearings.

Look them up at rockauto for the pictures. If the bearing says made in japan on it then its a OE bearing. Many national and timken are just reboxed OE part on some Japanese cars.

So far so good on the Timkens on the front of my Camry and Jeep. A little early to tell but no complaints so far.

Use whatever isn't the "cheapest" ... Bearing quality can vary a LOT. OEM parts should be good (but pricey)

On another note, if you don't have the proper tools and equipment, don't attempt to press bearings in and out - just get the hub assembly.

Even the big names (SKF, Timken) are sub-contracting out to the Chinese, so beware. On a Ford Explorer for instance, it really doesn't matter what brand you get - Motorcraft or Timken - the front bearings are still a regular service item.

I recently replaced my hub assemblies on my escalade w the high end brand from Oreillys cuz I needed to replace them asap and couldn't wait for shipping. So far so good and it has a 3 year warranty. Oem is always good as I got 174k miles on the escalade

Napa sells two kinds of SKF bearings. One is a reboxed unit and the other more espensive one is a true SKF which is what you want.

Surprisingly, the longest lasting wheel bearings on my car are the value-brand I bought at NAPA. Easily double the life of ACDelco wheel bearings.

Originally Posted By: oilpsi2high
Surprisingly, the longest lasting wheel bearings on my car are the value-brand I bought at NAPA. Easily double the life of ACDelco wheel bearings.

Honda does not use ACDelco LOL!!!

OE for Toyota is Koyo.
Not sure for Honda.

Is this the press type or ready-made?
If it is press-type, you may want to get the hub also.
It is easier for DIY since you don't have to take the old one out.

Got Timken press in ones for the back of my LR3 a few years ago, probably have 30-40k on them. No issues so far! They were American or Japanese made.

Last edited:
From what I gathered the mail order Timken bearing can be iffy. The Timken bearings purchased at brick and mortar stores seem to be fine, fwiw.

Replaced the inner and outer bearings plus races on my Toyota pickup with Timken about three months ago, and they were all made in Poland.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back