Hard use oil help

Status
Not open for further replies.
My sister is going to be towing her 5th wheel camper this summer the camper is aprox 11,000 pounds loaded. She has a 2013 Chevy 2500 HD with the big V8 (Not sure what size but it was the biggest gas V8 that year) the truck is set up to tow with HD cooling, trans cooler and 4.11 gears and only has about 8,000 miles on the truck.

On the shelf she has Chevron Delo XLE 10w30 (the new blend) and Mobil 1 0w40 (purchased by her late husband who passed away) Can I use either one to change her oil for her for summer use? Or should she get something ells?

I say 10w30 for the narrow spread. Even with the new "weak sauce" Delo formula, it should be more than enough for her gasser.

OT, a widow towing her 5th wheel, and in a decent tow rig?
I'm sorry for her loss, but she sounds like a keeper and good catch for a like minded fellow.

Last edited:
I actually think the Mobil 1 Ow40 is a better choice.
I had some and ran it in my 2007 Ford F150 with the 5.4 and the engine sounded super smooth and the gas mileage didn't even take a hit.
My wife was towing with it on a 2000 mile trip and I wanted a stout oil like you and it was my choice.
I use 10w30 pretty much regularly in my 2006 Dodge 2500 and tow combo of truck and trailer over 16000 lbs without any issues as well.
Both would work fine.
I just think she will be more pleased with the fuel mileage from the 0w40.
Both these vehicles are spec'd for 5w20 which they never see.

Last edited:
Either will be fine. You prob have the 6.2

If it were my rig and I were towing that load for an extended time and I could choose before the trip -

Id prob lean toward the 0w40 for towing duty, and the 30 for occasional towing lighter duty use. Either will be fine though.

At 4K RPM cresting a hill towing 11K the oil running out of those crank journals is going to be hotter than hades, as well as water thin.

I dont think the 40 will give any better mileage as its harder to pump, but there wont be much difference either way.

UD

1,000 lbs pulling with a 2500 HD. You won't even know it's there. I would consider that very light duty for that truck. I would chose the 10w30. Ed

Originally Posted By: Eddie
1,000 lbs pulling with a 2500 HD. You won't even know it's there. I would consider that very light duty for that truck. I would chose the 10w30. Ed

Agreed if the OP said 1000, but it was 11,000.

UD

Originally Posted By: ChevyBadger
Either would be fine. I would run the 10w30 and save the 0w40 for colder temps.
0w40 will protect better in higher temps, and it will pump better in lower temps. So if 10w30 loses in both departments - why use it?

I pull a 7,900 lb 5th wheel (in the summer only) with my F-150 4.6, and I run 15w-40 Rotella when towing.

If you have the 0w-40, I think it'll handle the heat better.

Originally Posted By: Donald
Given it's only got 8k miles make sure you use an oil recommend in the owners manual since still under warranty.

Good point on that. ....
but any good oil will still protect the engine,
even an oil that's "too thick" (LOL!) like 15W-40

It has the 6.0 Vortec. Use any Dexos 5W30 whle under warranty with a Fram Ultra XG10060 and let it eat. Just have her check the oil frequently. Towed an 8,000 pound camper from Louisiana to northern Pennsylvania with the same truck(2012 Chevy 2500 6.0 Vortec) four years ago, about a 1200 mile trip one way, worst mpg was 7.3 and the best was 9.8, used QSUD 5W30 with a Bosch distance Plus and it used a quart on the trip up there. burned a ton of fuel but never had a lick of trouble.

I just purchased a 2013 2500HD with 18k miles having the intent of towing a travel trailer in the near future. It has the 6.0 liter (it is my understanding that the 6.2 is for lighter duty use) and I intend on using dexos certified oil as specified, even when towing. Maybe in a few years I may change the plan.

Even if it's going to be a short OCI it's going to be hard use, so;

Use a fresh fill of the same stuff thats already in there. Accelerated wear happens when the new detergent washes away the old add pack, before the new stuff has has the time to settle in. Using the same stuff should minimise this period.

Originally Posted By: mobilaltima
It has the 6.0 Vortec. Use any Dexos 5W30 whle under warranty with a Fram Ultra XG10060 and let it eat. Just have her check the oil frequently. Towed an 8,000 pound camper from Louisiana to northern Pennsylvania with the same truck(2012 Chevy 2500 6.0 Vortec) four years ago, about a 1200 mile trip one way, worst mpg was 7.3 and the best was 9.8, used QSUD 5W30 with a Bosch distance Plus and it used a quart on the trip up there. burned a ton of fuel but never had a lick of trouble.

Yes, this. The 2500HD would have the iron block 6.0. The 6.2's are aluminum block, and only come in the 1500's. Make sure the oil is dexos-approved. I would prefer a full synthetic 5w30, like Mobil 1. M1 0w40 FS is not dexos approved.

Originally Posted By: Vlad_the_Russian
Originally Posted By: ChevyBadger
Either would be fine. I would run the 10w30 and save the 0w40 for colder temps.
0w40 will protect better in higher temps, and it will pump better in lower temps. So if 10w30 loses in both departments - why use it?

how much does it loose at high temps?

And how much do both oils shear? It's not like M1 is the most shear stable oil....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back