Oil for water pump?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The vineyard I work at has a tow-behind air blast sprayer for applying fungicides, insecticides, etc. to the vines. It uses a 3-cylinder piston pump run off a tractor PTO to pressurize the water, and the manual calls for a SAE 30 motor oil of at least SG? spec. What oil will be most appropriate for this application? Spins at less than 500 RPM, generates about 300 PSI, not much heat but a lot of moisture present.

I have Hypro diaphragm pumps on my sprayers and they recommend non detergent 30w oil. Most of the Napa's in my area stock Valvolene 30w non detergent.

Piston pumps are different that diaphragm. Both can cost into the thousands. Determine the brand and model of your pump and contact a distributor for the proper oil.

I wasn't questioning the viscosity, just what type will do best with moisture. Syn, cheap dyno, etc.? I've worked there 3 years and never serviced the pump - probably a couple hundred hours of operation. It doesn't have a dipstick, just a sight glass like an air compressor would have, and I believe there's a bubble at the top which would indicate it isn't taking on a lot of water even though the oil visible through the glass is milky. May find out different when I drain it, but it's still working so it probably isn't hurting it too awful bad!

I'm surprised it calls for SG oil... most pumps will require non-detergent oil.

If it calls for SG, I'd use rotella T-1 30 and change it every time it gets milky.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back