Changing ATF for first time

Status
Not open for further replies.
You can do it on ramps with no problem. Just make sure you put back in the same amount of ATF you drained out
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Kira
Hello Oiled, When you drain this fluid please report on the color as best you can.
Also, a brief description of the smell.
I have been going through a 12 gallon stash of Valvoline MaxLife Dex/Merc LV and the peppermintiness of old Dex/Merc fluid is missed.

Hi , just completed my drain and fill today which went smoothly. The color of the old fluid seems to be of a dark olive green color or also not to be gross but looked like the color of bile. When I dipped a paper towel in, it turned dark almost like dirt color. The smell is hard to describe or compare it to anything . I can only say the smell seemed, sweet in smell? Before I drained it I drove the car around the block to warm up, then once more I drove it after to test for leaks and such. The shifting to me seemed noticeably quicker and smoother . I'm going to try and provide pics of the used atf.

I plan on doing a first time pan drop & filter change on my wife's Mustang with 6R80 AT soon.

I found a source for Kendall Versatrans LV ATF for under $5 / qt. delivered to my doorstep. This makes the Kendall Versatrans LV ATF a better deal than the PP MVLV ATF on sale @ Pep Boys as well as the unlicensed Supertech LV ATF @ Walmart. It's only about $0.25 / qt. more than VML ATF @ Walmart.com.

The Kendall Versatrans LV ATF has a 30°C higher flash point listed on its PDS than PP MVLV ATF. So I plan to take the 6 qts. of PP MVLV ATF back to Pep Boys after I get delivery of the Kendall Versatrans LV ATF. I ordered a 12 qt. case.

http://www.kendallmotoroils.com/kendall-versatrans-lv-automatic-transmission-fluid-atf/

https://kendallmotoroil.com/product/versatrans-lv-atf

Now my question is whether I should include a pint of Lubegard Red in the fresh fluid when I do this change? The Mustang isn't exhibiting any problems but all drained Mercon LV I can find pics or video of is pretty dark, like this example from the OP, and the pan drop & filter change will leave about 45% of the factory fill in the circulating inventory.

Thoughts?

Originally Posted By: Nyogtha
but all drained Mercon LV I can find pics or video of is pretty dark

That is considered "normal" for that fluid to darken very quickly. It doesn't mean anything negative either.

^^^ Does it mean anything positive?

Kinda silly fluid design then - maybe Maxlife LV is the way to go instead of seeking Ford licensed fluid. Haven't heard of Maxlife getting dark very quickly.

Clean the magnets that are in the bottom of pan. And if they aren't make sure to put some in it.

Valvoline is great. I have read that the full synthetic valvoline trans fluid is probably a bad idea for older vehicles.

I plan on doing a first time pan drop & filter change on my wife's Mustang with 6R80 AT soon.

I found a source for Kendall Versatrans LV ATF for under $5 / qt. delivered to my doorstep. This makes the Kendall Versatrans LV ATF a better deal than the PP MVLV ATF on sale @ Pep Boys as well as the unlicensed Supertech LV ATF @ Walmart. It's only about $0.25 / qt. more than VML ATF @ Walmart.com.

The Kendall Versatrans LV ATF has a 30°C higher flash point listed on its PDS than PP MVLV ATF. So I plan to take the 6 qts. of PP MVLV ATF back to Pep Boys after I get delivery of the Kendall Versatrans LV ATF. I ordered a 12 qt. case.

http://www.kendallmotoroils.com/kendall-versatrans-lv-automatic-transmission-fluid-atf/

https://kendallmotoroil.com/product/versatrans-lv-atf

Now my question is whether I should include a pint of Lubegard Red in the fresh fluid when I do this change? The Mustang isn't exhibiting any problems but all drained Mercon LV I can find pics or video of is pretty dark, like this example from the OP, and the pan drop & filter change will leave about 45% of the factory fill in the circulating inventory.

Thoughts?

I will be looking forward on your thoughts on changing the fluid and filter on this transmission. I have the same one in a 2014 Mustang GT that I plan on changing in about 5,000 miles. It seems like it's not that easy to fill and get an accurate fluid level on this trans due to a very small dipstick that you have to access from under the car and an internal thermostat that has to be at the correct temperature to be able to get an accurate reading. Dealer wants over $200 to do a change and is why I want to do it myself if possible.

Wayne

Changed fluid & filter in wife's Mustang with 6R80 today. Not a bad afternoon at all. Having 2 sets of hands was helpful at times.

Main tools were a 3/4" combination wrench, 10 mm socket, low range 1/4" drive torque wrench (from HF in my case), cheapie hand pump, and AZ Duralat TF507 kit (ordered online with SAVE20 discount code & free shipping), two disposable aluminum steam table pans (from Sam's Club in my case).

Here's what we did.

Put front wheels on ramps and let sit overnight. Put rear of vehicle on jack stands, still had very slight slope to rear. Noted factory gasket had a slight weep, but not enough to drip, by stains around pan lip in one area.

Removed dipstick plug & dipstick. Pumped out 5 qts. using cheap hand pump into empty 5 qt. oil jug before it lost suction.

Started loosening pan bolts at rear first to let remaining fluid drip into disposable pan. Removed bolts working toward the front, draining remaining fluid in disposable pan. Noted filter dropped into pan while loosening pan bolts.

Completely removed pan & drained into disposable pan. Removed old filter. Removed factory gasket and found flawed areas where seeping was noted, decided not to reuse "reusable" factory gasket.

Removed pan magnet & cleaned with brake cleaner. Drained fluid color was not nearly as dark / brown as seen on internet videos of drained Mercon LV, this fluid had lots of red left in it. Some grit in pan & on magnet but nothing excessive. Dumped fluid from disposable pan into a second empty 5 qt. oil jug. Total fluid drained was just short of 8 qts. using sight gauges on side of jugs.

Installed new filter, just a friction fit. Old seal came out with old filter so no digging in main suction bore. Lubed rubber gasket from AZ kit with ATF and used it while reinstalling pan. Torqued pan bolts to 98 inch-pounds.

Used hand pump to start pumping fresh fluid back in. At close to 6 qts. fluid started to spill out fill hole (into disposable pan thankfully). Installed dipstick & plug and took rear of vehicle off jack stands. Started engine and cycled through all gear positions leaving in each gear for several seconds. Shut engine off and carefully removed dipstick & plug again (hot surfaces nearby now). Used hand pump to add another 3 qts., minus spillage mentioned & leakage, to get just short of 8 qts. fresh fluid in to match what was drained & measured.

Final install of dipstick & plug, final check of pan bolts' torque with no leakage noted, and took car front off ramps.

Two things saved a lot of potential interruption time & hassle:

1. Having more than 6 qts. LV fluid on hand before starting the job (I now have 4 qts. leftover Kendall Versatrans LV from the case I bought).

2. Having a filter kit with spare gasket just in case there were problrms with the factory gasket. The AZ TF507 kit was the best deal I found on a kit with both filter & gasket. Filter was externally identical to factory filter except for one little prong on the plastic side which didn't matter one bit during installation. Showed Made in Thailand if anyone cares.

Should be good for another 40K or so miles. Mileage today was 43009.

Changed fluid & filter in wife's Mustang with 6R80 today. Not a bad afternoon at all. Having 2 sets of hands was helpful at times.

Main tools were a 3/4" combination wrench, 10 mm socket, low range 1/4" drive torque wrench (from HF in my case), cheapie hand pump, and AZ Duralat TF507 kit (ordered online with SAVE20 discount code & free shipping), two disposable aluminum steam table pans (from Sam's Club in my case).

Here's what we did.

Put front wheels on ramps and let sit overnight. Put rear of vehicle on jack stands, still had very slight slope to rear. Noted factory gasket had a slight weep, but not enough to drip, by stains around pan lip in one area.

Removed dipstick plug & dipstick. Pumped out 5 qts. using cheap hand pump into empty 5 qt. oil jug before it lost suction.

Started loosening pan bolts at rear first to let remaining fluid drip into disposable pan. Removed bolts working toward the front, draining remaining fluid in disposable pan. Noted filter dropped into pan while loosening pan bolts.

Completely removed pan & drained into disposable pan. Removed old filter. Removed factory gasket and found flawed areas where seeping was noted, decided not to reuse "reusable" factory gasket.

Removed pan magnet & cleaned with brake cleaner. Drained fluid color was not nearly as dark / brown as seen on internet videos of drained Mercon LV, this fluid had lots of red left in it. Some grit in pan & on magnet but nothing excessive. Dumped fluid from disposable pan into a second empty 5 qt. oil jug. Total fluid drained was just short of 8 qts. using sight gauges on side of jugs.

Installed new filter, just a friction fit. Old seal came out with old filter so no digging in main suction bore. Lubed rubber gasket from AZ kit with ATF and used it while reinstalling pan. Torqued pan bolts to 98 inch-pounds.

Used hand pump to start pumping fresh fluid back in. At close to 6 qts. fluid started to spill out fill hole (into disposable pan thankfully). Installed dipstick & plug and took rear of vehicle off jack stands. Started engine and cycled through all gear positions leaving in each gear for several seconds. Shut engine off and carefully removed dipstick & plug again (hot surfaces nearby now). Used hand pump to add another 3 qts., minus spillage mentioned & leakage, to get just short of 8 qts. fresh fluid in to match what was drained & measured.

Final install of dipstick & plug, final check of pan bolts' torque with no leakage noted, and took car front off ramps.

1. Having more than 6 qts. LV fluid on hand before starting the job (I now have 4 qts. leftover Kendall Versatrans LV from the case I bought).

2. Having a filter kit with spare gasket just in case there were problrms with the factory gasket. The AZ TF507 kit was the best deal I found on a kit with both filter & gasket. Filter was externally identical to factory filter except for one little prong on the plastic side which didn't matter one bit during installation. Showed Made in Thailand if anyone cares.

Very nice write up good sir. Thank you
smile.gif

Here's what we did.

Great write up, thanks for that. What year Mustang is this? Is there a reason that you did't put the car up on both the ramps and jack stands overnight? Do you think having the rear end on the ground made it easier to add the additional 3 quarts vs leaving the rear up on the jack stands? Thanks again for this. It will make it easier for when I do my car.

Wayne

It's a 2011 Mustang 3.7L V6 with 6R80.

It was dark the night before when we got home from Friday date night late supper out followed by DQ. Tried to see if using 4 ramps would work but no go with the Rhino Rsmps we have.

Having the rear on the ground didn't hurt getting the remaining ATF in but probably isn't required as there wasn't ATF running out the fill hole when we first pulled the 6R80's excuse for a dipstick out. Neither one of us wanted to rock the car on jackstands getting in it & starting it up for safety reasons.

The wife just left driving to Houston to visit her parents for the weekend. Her car's been driving fine around town and this is the first road trip since the ATF & filter change. No problems expected, I'll update if any are envountered.

It's a 2011 Mustang 3.7L V6 with 6R80.

It was dark the night before when we got home from Friday date night late supper out followed by DQ. Tried to see if using 4 ramps would work but no go with the Rhino Rsmps we have.

Having the rear on the ground didn't hurt getting the remaining ATF in but probably isn't required as there wasn't ATF running out the fill hole when we first pulled the 6R80's excuse for a dipstick out. Neither one of us wanted to rock the car on jackstands getting in it & starting it up for safety reasons.

The wife just left driving to Houston to visit her parents for the weekend. Her car's been driving fine around town and this is the first road trip since the ATF & filter change. No problems expected, I'll update if any are envountered.

Thanks for the additional info. Just as a side note, I was just in the San Antonio area on vacation a few weeks ago. We stayed in Canyon Lake.

My wife had zero problems on her road trip to & from Houston with ambient temperatures at or near 100°F this past weekend. Glad we did the pan drop & filter change on her car before the really hot weather started here this year.

Drop me a note next time you're going to be in the area and we could meet up for a BBQ lunch or something.

My wife had zero problems on her road trip to & from Houston with ambient temperatures at or near 100°F this past weekend. Glad we did the pan drop & filter change on her car before the really hot weather started here this year.

Drop me a note next time you're going to be in the area and we could meet up for a BBQ lunch or something.

Sounds good, thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back