Mobil1 vs. Wix XP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: bullwinkle
there have been isolated reports of media separating on them.

I recommended oiling the end caps of the oil-filter cartridges before installation. This should probably let the end caps rotate freely and prevent end-cap separation that results from twisting of the end caps during installation.

I just can't help noticing that the construction of the Wix XP looks so much more robust than the OEM Mahle filter.

Originally Posted By: Gokhan
Some Wix tech rep said that Wix XP is rated only 50% at 20 microns but I'm not sure if this is true. If it's true, it's not for me. However, it would be good for extremely long OCIs if the efficiency is that low, given that it's a full synthetic.

Mobil 1 EP oil filter is a synthetic blend. That's why it's not as popular as Fram Ultra. If you can find the old version (without the A suffix), it's more efficient. In any case it's more efficient than 50% at 20 microns.

"Oil Filter Laboratory Test Performance per ISO 454812 32 grams dirt (51515XP), 99% efficient at 35 microns (Based on 51515XP 51356XP, 57060XP)"

From: http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/detail/WIXX/51515XP/02269.oap

Versus the standard Wix:

"Laboratory Test Performance per ISO 454812 18 grams dirt (WIX 51515), 99% efficient at 23 microns (Based on WIX 51515, WIX 51356, WIX 57060)"

From: http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/detail/WIX0/51515.oap

Thus,

The Wix XP oil filters filter 99% @ 35µ - and The Wix (Standard) filters filter 99% @23µ...

However oddly enough the Micron rating on the 51515's webpage states 21 Microns.

Additionally, see these:

http://www.wixfilters.com/Lookup/PartDetails.aspx?Part=193964

http://www.wixfilters.com/Lookup/PartDetails.aspx?Part=1863421

The standard filter states: "Beta Ratio 2/20=6/20" - but, there is no beta ratio available on the XP.

Knowing that filter efficiency increases as dirt is collected, do you think that this seemingly poor efficiency is intentional such that these filters can handle extended drain intervals without operating in bypass?

Originally Posted By: Astro_Guy
Knowing that filter efficiency increases as dirt is collected, do you think that this seemingly poor efficiency is intentional such that these filters can handle extended drain intervals without operating in bypass?

Probably part of their intention ... but why do other long drain filters with huge holding capacity have twice the efficiency (rhetorical question)?

Being a glass over wire mesh filter - seems it would take ~10k to even become more efficient ...
Shame since they are very well built otherwise ...

Any theories on why the Fram XG filter for my Volvo costs $27 at Walmart while the Wix XP costs only $10 at Rock Auto? I was going to pose the same question about the M1 filter, but it is no longer listed on Rock Auto.

No answers from the Fram FanBoys on that last question, which wasn't exactly unexpected.

Changing the subject a bit, would any of you run a Wix XP in your OPE? The clearances are wider there, so would the different efficiency ratings matter? I haven't run Fram 3614 filters on my JD 140 lawn tractor with 724 cc B&S V-Twin due to the higher bypass setting. Presently I run the Wix 51348, but the 51348 XP or XG 3614 could be in my future.

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
And if it matters, the M1 is made in the US now...

Yes, it certainly does matter.

says the guy driving a honda and a volvo...

No answers from the Fram FanBoys on that last question, which wasn't exactly unexpected.

Changing the subject a bit, would any of you run a Wix XP in your OPE? The clearances are wider there, so would the different efficiency ratings matter? I haven't run Fram 3614 filters on my JD 140 lawn tractor with 724 cc B&S V-Twin due to the higher bypass setting. Presently I run the Wix 51348, but the 51348 XP or XG 3614 could be in my future.

Not for the extra $$$. I'd rather run a WM ST oil filter on my OPE, or an Ecore, with higher efficiency at a fraction of the cost.

I thought I had a Fram Ultra for $14 and change the other day, but the price on the Wally World shelf didn't match the price in their cash registers. $28 for a filter, seriously?

So let's say that you wanted to run a 10K OCI in a Volvo with a cartridge filter. What would you use? I've been running the OEM / Mahle filters for 16 years and 213 thousand miles at a 5K OCI. Am I just over analyzing this to the extreme?

I thought I had a Fram Ultra for $14 and change the other day, but the price on the Wally World shelf didn't match the price in their cash registers. $28 for a filter, seriously?

So let's say that you wanted to run a 10K OCI in a Volvo with a cartridge filter. What would you use? I've been running the OEM / Mahle filters for 16 years and 213 thousand miles at a 5K OCI. Am I just over analyzing this to the extreme?

My answer is still Mann or Mahle. Either can do 10k with no problems
smile.gif

But if you want to use something else, my choice would be Wix XP/Napa Platinum. About the same price as M1, but it's wire-backed synthetic.

Mann, Mahle, or Wix XP. Beyond that, yes you are just over analyzing this to the extreme
laugh.gif

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
But if you want to use something else, my choice would be Wix XP/Napa Platinum. About the same price as M1, but it's wire-backed synthetic.

Mann, Mahle, or Wix XP. Beyond that, yes you are just over analyzing this to the extreme
laugh.gif

Thanks!

Does anyone have an authoritative source for the efficiency on the OEM Mahle or Win XP filters? Here's the way I see it:

Fram: $28 for 99% at 20 microns

Mobil 1: $14 for 99% at 30 microns

Mahle: $5 but efficiency completely unknown

Win XP: $11 with efficiency speculated to be 50% at 35 microns, but otherwise unknown

I've been using the Mahle filters for the past 155K miles, but have to confess that they never look all that dirty when removed. Either the engine is really clean, or these filters don't trap much.

It might not be the answer you're looking for, but perhaps try to contact Mahle directly, if you haven't. Baldwin and Hastings are good enough to respond in a straightforward fashion to such inquiries.

Wix responded to my inquiry with 99% at 35 microns. The full answer is posted below.

Micron ratings are not given for any other filters except our premium brand.
Below is the information that we share on our XP brand of filters.

WIX XP Oil filters use synthetic media and provide robust engine protection when using synthetic motor oil for
extreme driving conditions such as towing, extreme idle time, lower gear mountainous climbs, long periods at
highway speeds and extreme cold throughout the OE manufacturer’s recommended oil and filter change interval.
A specifically formulated gasket provides an excellent seal during extreme cold engine starts and resist hardening
under elevated oil temperatures. For spin-ons, WIX XP silicone anti-drain back valves protect against dry starts past
the traditional filter change interval. WIX XP is 99% efficient at 35 microns based on 51515XP, 51365XP and 57060XP

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Nyogtha
Wow, that brings the Wix XP efficiency almost as high as the new lower efficiency "A" suffix Mobil 1 oil filters.

Yes, but you have to wonder if this is not intentional, and if so, why?

Originally Posted By: Nyogtha
Wow, that brings the Wix XP efficiency almost as high as the new lower efficiency "A" suffix Mobil 1 oil filters.

Yes, but you have to wonder if this is not intentional, and if so, why?

This is just a guess, but I would say that it's because if you use a Wix air filter you're going to have less dirt even being introduced into the oil to begin with, so the XP oil filter is meant to be for extended OCI's in combination with a Wix air filter. Of course they aren't going to say that, but... It just makes sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back