EZ Oil Drain Valve vs Fumoto valve

I have 4 jugs of 5w-30 Pennzoil Platinum with receipts and checked how hard it would be to change my oil. On the 2017 Elantra they have cut outs in the cover on underside of car so you can reach the filter and drain plug. With a EZ Oil Drain Valve or Fumoto Valve I could change oil and filter with car just parked in the garage. No jacking or ramps needed.

Looking for a Fumoto valve on Amazon and ran across an EZ Oil Drain valve. I like some of the feature of the EZ Oil Drain valve better. Has anyone used one of these? I used the Fumoto valve over 12 years so I trust them.

EZ Oil Drain Valve

I use fumoto valves in 3 of my cars and while I can't speak about the EZ oil drain, I am pleased by the reliability of the fumoto valve ...

google Fram Suredrain, and its on Amazon and Ebay, although I think they are out of production. Also past bitog discussions show up.

Currently using a Fumoto valve for the past 10 years and have been quite pleased. Developed a small leak due to the gasket getting thin from me unscrewing the valve and letting extra oil drain. Sent an email to the owner of the company looking for a gasket and he kindly took down my information and sent me a pair of gaskets free of charge. Customer service has me sold. :--))

B

I have installed 5 EZ Oil Drains and they've been in service for 85,000kms total and no issues so far.

Originally Posted By: Farmer
I have installed 5 EZ Oil Drains and they've been in service for 85,000kms total and no issues so far.

Did you ever use a Fumoto valve? How do they compare?

Originally Posted By: Boczech
Currently using a Fumoto valve for the past 10 years and have been quite pleased. Developed a small leak due to the gasket getting thin from me unscrewing the valve and letting extra oil drain. Sent an email to the owner of the company looking for a gasket and he kindly took down my information and sent me a pair of gaskets free of charge. Customer service has me sold. :--))

B

How much extra oil drains after you remove the valve?

Originally Posted By: Leo99

B

The same amount that would be drained out if the regular old drain plug is removed.
I think those things are a complete waste of metal

We have fumoto valves on quite a bit of the larger vehicles at work. They work great at oil change the technician puts the vehicles in the air (we have several 60k pound lifts) then he grabs a crescent wrench removes the valve and lets the oil drain. Our boss loves how easy they are.. we dont bother becuase of how much longer they take to drain. Keep in mind these are vehicles with 30ish quarts of oil in the sump.

Last edited:
I almost bought an EZ Drain last time I bought one, but decided the $3 price difference was not worth it, so I got the Fumoto instead.
It looks to be a decent valve, and may give it a try sometime in the future.

I have not problems with it. It does sit a little low in the Scion, but not below anything where it would be easily hit.
As far as how long it takes to drain, it is not much longer than pulling the plug. Now I don't drain more than 6 qts, so I just open it up, go do some other things. By then it is done. No idea how much more oil is in the pan, but not enough for me to worry about it. Maybe one day I will pull it off and measure it.

Originally Posted By: Superflop
We have fumoto valves on quite a bit of the larger vehicles at work. They work great at oil change the technician puts the vehicles in the air (we have several 60k pound lifts) then he grabs a crescent wrench removes the valve and lets the oil drain. Our boss loves how easy they are.. we dont bother becuase of how much longer they take to drain. Keep in mind these are vehicles with 30ish quarts of oil in the sump.

Then-why are the valves on in the first place? Does the boss spec that they be installed?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Leo99

B

Did not measured the amount but I am guessing it was not really that much just use to let it drip for maybe 3-4 hours. Quit doing that once I replaced the gaskets. I don't think you can really go wrong with either valve just a matter of preference with cost being the decider.

Hope that helps and good luck with your decision.

Originally Posted By: MONKEYMAN

I haven't used a Fumoto valve before. So I have no input.

Originally Posted By: MONKEYMAN

I haven't used a Fumoto valve before. So I have no input.

Maybe when I get the EZ valve I can do a comparison/review compared to the Fumuto valve I used for years. Thanks!

Originally Posted By: CKN
Originally Posted By: Superflop

Then-why are the valves on in the first place? Does the boss spec that they be installed?
yeah when we buy a new rig he hands one of the valves to the tech, tech installs it. Weve gotten tired of trying to explain how pointless they are to someone that doesnt care.

In my experience, it is high probable chance that any oil change shop is going to also wrench off your Fumoto valve if you ever take it to them and even if you tell them not too. So I recommend anybody that commits to a Fumoto type valve, commit to doing your own oil changes every single time to avoid having a surprise when your valve is either mangled up or reinstalled incorrectly.

i went with the EZ. I like the removable nipple and the fact that you can screw a protective cap on the end in it's place. the valve bit is exactly the same as the fumoto

Back