Little, old Honda: More octane = more RPM's

Status
Not open for further replies.
The BIL picked up some VP110 gas to try in our bikes and we took them (my '72 Honda CL175 and his '81 CM400) for a spin yesterday. My little 175 is pretty sensitive to pretty much all variables, being so small it's very obvious when something is hurting power output. It's all stock, 9:1 compression, 2-valve SOHC, dual slide-valve carburetors. I was just above reserve level with Shell Vpower + nitro 93 (no more than 2 qts.) before I put in a gallon of the 110 fuel - by my math that comes out to approx. 104 octane and, if the Vpower is E10, about 3% ethanol.

Power was slightly better but not night and day, however the bike now willingly revs up to 10,000 RPM or better (redline is 10.5) when before it would peter out at about 8,500. What gives? There seems to be no consensus on what octane is or isn't - octane only affects knock resistance and does nothing to increase power (in contradiction to what I've witnessed personally), lower octane fuels burn hotter and faster generating more power in low-performance engines that won't knock anyway... yada yada yada. But the facts is the facts, my little bike will rev higher on leaded fuel with 10 points higher octane than the unleaded, ethanol-blended 93 I've been putting in it all along.

Originally Posted By: spackard
I'd believe it's the omission of ethanol.

Correct.

You are likely jetted slightly too lean when running E10.

Possibly. Jetting is real close but based on my power curve I believe it still needs something slight. However, when I run E-free 89 (only E-free pump gas available locally) it still runs alright but is slightly more sluggish and there's no benefit in the top end.

Linctex in on the right track. When you run real gasoline you might benefit from a fattening up the jetting. If you're picky about how your small engine runs you will notice that corn does not help.

I knew that before I got the bike. Just through my experimenting with different types of fuel available to me I've found E10 93 runs better than E-free 89. Supposedly the local airport has 110 aviation fuel - if it's cheaper than the VP110 I may make a habit of mixing that 30-50% with the Efree 89 and see how that does. I ride the bike 200-400 miles a week so cost is a consideration.

Last edited:
Some experimenting with fuel never hurts, you may learn something!

That being said, I have never had any small engine, especially an air cooled small engine run better on 87 octane regardless of ethanol content. I always use 93 octane for everything except my passenger vehicles now. I had heard higher octane fuels are normally recommended for small, air cooled engines and sure enough, most of my owner's manuals called for 89 octane at least.

So a few years ago, I tried some 93 octane in my lawn mowers and 2 stroke equipment and I got similar results you did. The engines seemed easier to start, the power seemed better, the rpms seemed like they climbed higher and faster and the engine just seemed to run a little better overall. I also notice that E-10 93 seems to keep longer than E-10 87 so that is all I use now. For fuel additives, I am still experimenting but Gumout multi-system tune up and K100MG seem to be my favorites right now.

I am not exactly sure why the small engines run better on 93 octane but the theory I agree with most says that higher octane fuels prevent the compressed fuel mixture from igniting any earlier than the ideal time. The 93 octane allows the mixture to be fully compressed and the mixture to fire when the plug fires the hottest part of the spark. In other words, 87 octane COULD allow the mixture to fire just a bit too soon, before the hottest arc of the spark and full, 100% compression has been reached. The engine will certainly run on 87 octane and most people would never notice the difference but the 93 octane may make it run just a bit better. Of course you could tune your engines to run perfectly on 87 octane but that type of adjustment is beyond most of us.

To put it simply, slightly better running engines and staying fresh longer are the reasons I use 93 octane for my small equipment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back