collision insurane ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Kira
Glad you mentioned that...

Does keeping detailed records (work done, cost, etc.) help you in establishing the value a car?

If you're covered, can detailed records help you get more payment for a destroyed car?

Maybe a little more, but not all that much more.

In 40 years with the same insurance company, I've never seen my rates move higher even by $25/yr UNLESS I was the one that was the cause of an accident/damage. And that happened one time when I received points for an at-fault accident. And even in that case, I don't recall my rates going up by more than 10-20% over the following 3 yrs once the points cleared from my record.

Someone side swiped our car in a local supermarket parking lot 2 years ago causing $1300 in damage. It was all professionally fixed. My rates didn't go up at all. In fact, they came down.

Does keeping detailed records (work done, cost, etc.) help you in establishing the value a car?

I know that details records, or rather lack thereof, made a significant difference in what I paid for a car once. I did all my research on KBB, NADA, etc to see the dealer retail pricing of a used vehicle I was looking at. When I went in to talk with them, they quoted a sales price that was equal with the excellent condition rating of the vehicle per the various rating groups. I then asked for maintenance records on the vehicle. The dealer could not produce them. I then stated that the vehicle is therefore no longer qualified for the excellent rating per KBB and NADA, because to be such, maintenance records are required. The dealer then knocked the price down.

I was surprised. USAA charged almost nothing for my wife's heap. Of course they would total her for next to nothing if it were in an accident, but it was an honest deal.

Originally Posted By: 69GTX
In 40 years with the same insurance company, I've never seen my rates move higher even by $25/yr UNLESS I was the one that was the cause of an accident/damage. And that happened one time when I received points for an at-fault accident. And even in that case, I don't recall my rates going up by more than 10-20% over the following 3 yrs once the points cleared from my record.

Someone side swiped our car in a local supermarket parking lot 2 years ago causing $1300 in damage. It was all professionally fixed. My rates didn't go up at all. In fact, they came down.

That is awesome!

I've only carried my own auto policy for ~27yrs, but I've filed only one auto collision claim in this time. Wife has filed 0. It was a case that had to go through subrogation. Other guy who was "mostly" at fault paid 60%. Mine paid the rest. We had little digs and such over the years that we paid out of pocket (no tickets) Still goes up a little bit every year. I currently pay $1000-1100/yr for the 2 vehicles in my sig w/ a $500 deductible. There's been times I held a $1000 deductible to keep costs down. I've mostly had Allstate through the years. Had Liberty mutual and some subsidiaries of them too.

Last edited:

If you're covered, can detailed records help you get more payment for a destroyed car?

In my case it didn't matter. I was t-boned in a 91 Park Avenue. A couple months before I had just gone thru replacing the manifold leak that the 3800 gets to the tune of $700, replace a bunch of sensors. Two weeks before the crash I put on brand new tires. They considered all that normal maintenance. That was 12/2011 and they gave me $3500 for it, which I actually thought was a fair deal minus the work I just had done
frown.gif

I was going to remove my collision on my 99 Buick but when I seen it was only costing me $48 a year I just left it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back