Maxxis Re-fuse? As good as claimed?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The time has come to replace the tires on my Specialized Allez Elite.

I'm currently looking at the Maxxis Re-Fuse tires. They seem to be a good balance of everything, without any serious compromises.... including cost.

Any experiences with this tire, or better options in the same price range ($30-$35/tire)?

If the tire is really good at preventing flats, don't be surprised if it has noticeably higher rolling resistance.

And that is true. Just about everything seems to be a compromise.

Such as: Fast, Good, Cheap... You can pick any two.

They're horribly slow, and the ride quality isn't all that great. My thoughts are that life is too short to run cheap tires.

You can actually have good puncture resistance in a fast tire--you just have to pay for it. I'd go with the Conti 4000S in a 25mm (that's what I use both for training and weekday/bad weather racing when I don't want to use my fancy wheels). This place has the best price: Conti 4000S.

They're in the U.K. but ship from somewhere else (NZ maybe?). I'm always gotten my stuff within 5 days though. I currently have about 7,000 miles on a front--not one flat (looking for wood to knock...). The rears last about 4,000 or so. I actually wore the rear down the chords, zero flats. I'm a long time Michelin and Vittoria fan, but right now these are the best all-around tires on the market. At $37.00 a pop, there's no reason to look elsewhere.

Originally Posted By: JOD
They're horribly slow, and the ride quality isn't all that great. My thoughts are that life is too short to run cheap tires.

You can actually have good puncture resistance in a fast tire--you just have to pay for it. I'd go with the Conti 4000S in a 25mm (that's what I use both for training and weekday/bad weather racing when I don't want to use my fancy wheels). This place has the best price: Conti 4000S.

They're in the U.K. but ship from somewhere else (NZ maybe?). I'm always gotten my stuff within 5 days though. I currently have about 7,000 miles on a front--not one flat (looking for wood to knock...). The rears last about 4,000 or so. I actually wore the rear down the chords, zero flats. I'm a long time Michelin and Vittoria fan, but right now these are the best all-around tires on the market. At $37.00 a pop, there's no reason to look elsewhere.

the Conti Grand Prix 4000S has a reputation for weak & defective sidewalls.... so paying more doesn't always guarantee a higher quality tire.

I personally use Conti Grand Prix 4-seasons, which fits in between the 4000S and the Gatorskins.

The Re-fuse competes more with the Gatorskin & Gatorskin Ultra, which also also heavier tires than the 4000S as well as riding worse.

I've heard of that with the old GP4000's, but not with the new 4000S. Granted, it's not a Gatorskin, but if you look at the reviews on Probikekit, Amazon, Wiggle Cyclery, Weight Weenies, etc--pretty much everyone agrees this is a very robust tire. Yeah, if you hit a large object you can cut the sidewall, but simply looking where your going works for that, too...

Our road around here are terrible, and I've never had an issue. It you really want better sidewall protection though, just use a wider tire. Tread always beats sidewalls, no matter the composition! And big tires have other advantages as well (roll faster, handle better, more comfort). The only downsides is aerodynamics, and if you're not racing that's really not much of a concern. A 4000S in a 28 would be a better bet than a 25 Gatorskin, even on bad road, IMO.

see RoadbikeReivew

they complain about it the most. The 2nd generation 4000S that just came out, the only "improvement" is aesthetics.

Originally Posted By: UG_Passat
see RoadbikeReivew

they complain about it the most. The 2nd generation 4000S that just came out, the only "improvement" is aesthetics.

Interesting. I hadn't seen that--and it's weird, that's the only source of the complaints? I've never hear a bad thing about them.

I have to say though, if one guy is experiencing multiple sidewall blowouts, I'm inclined to blame pilot error in that case--either improper installation or a rim with a hard edge on it.

I used to train on Gatorskins, but they're terrible in the rain (not good for me!). The 4000S is really a race tire, but particularly in a wider width they're great for training. My wife has them on her commuter bike, and she rides a lot more than I do--and they've held up for her as well.

I tested the rolling resistance of the Re-Fuse on rollers, and it is hands-down the slowest tire I've ever tested! And the problem with slow tires is that they kinda feel like solid tires. Even the newest Gatorskins would be a good option compared to those tires.

The Vittoria Rubino Pro is my favorite all around tire. 700x23c is 225g and 150 tpi casing, I run 120 psi with it. It's flatted far less than the Gatorskins it replaced. Your typical "fixie" rider on a "tarck" bike likes the Refuse, because it's fairly thick and durable down the middle to hold up with frequent skid stops.

I have heard good reports about the maxxis re-fuse.
As a training tyre they are perfect. And their price is to good to go past.
I currently use Gatorskins... I love them.. Never had a flat tyre.

But I an considering trying the Maxxis re-fuse next.

I can buy two maxxis tyres for the price of one Gatorskin..!

I ended up with a pair of Vittoria Rubino Pro 3's in the 700x25 size for $41 off of eBay. These are the 150tpi version.

We'll see how it goes... I thought that the price was definitely right.

just a follow up to this old thread....I'm using Maxxis re fuse now.....They are great ..
A very robust touring tyre...
Ive gone from Conti 4000's ..
And I like the Maxxis better.....

One of my bike mechanic friends recommended the Re-Fuse - he didn't stock them.

I'm running a Conti GP4S right now, and that tire communicates a lot of the road back to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back