What upcoming tech will obsolete current oils?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Although I have never used Prolong in any of my cars, I did religiously use it in my garden tractor pulling tractor. It had a 16 hp all cast iron Kohler engine with a high lift long duration cam, chevy valves, bored .060, longer rod with special piston, which poped 1/8 inch out of the top of cylinder, and hand made head. It was the tractor to try to beat. I ran it several years and never had any oil related failures. In fact I would take it apart most every winter, and examine it and promptly put it back together with the same parts. Never any wear or problems. Others blew engines all the time. Oh, yes, It was running on pure alcohol also. Weather it was the Prolong or the Kendal oil, I don't know.

Originally Posted By: SonofJoe
I wonder if in the future, oils will ultra thin (KV100 around 4 to 6 cst?) but that future engines will be fitted with oil temperature controllers (a) to rapidly warm up oil from cold and (b) to prevent the oil from getting so hot that its HTHS goes below a preset value. We have knock sensors to keep combustion out of the danger zone so why not actively manage minimum viscosity?

Of course this would mean the OEMs would have to get off their collectively bone idle arses and actually DO something (as opposed to abdicating all responsibility for anything to do with oils to the oil companies and AddCo's).

In theory I could see all sorts of reasons why this might be very desirable but knowing the OEMs, I'm not holding my breath...

they do that already: the oil and coolant systems are linked together: the coolant transfers heat to the oil during the warm-up stage, but the heat flow reverses as the oil gets warmer than the coolant. Most engines these days have those heat exchangers.

Originally Posted By: Jetronic
I wonder if in the future, oils will ultra thin (KV100 around 4 to 6 cst?) but that future engines will be fitted with oil temperature controllers (a) to rapidly warm up oil from cold and (b) to prevent the oil from getting so hot that its HTHS goes below a preset value. We have knock sensors to keep combustion out of the danger zone so why not actively manage minimum viscosity?

Of course this would mean the OEMs would have to get off their collectively bone idle arses and actually DO something (as opposed to abdicating all responsibility for anything to do with oils to the oil companies and AddCo's).

In theory I could see all sorts of reasons why this might be very desirable but knowing the OEMs, I'm not holding my breath...

they do that already: the oil and coolant systems are linked together: the coolant transfers heat to the oil during the warm-up stage, but the heat flow reverses as the oil gets warmer than the coolant. Most engines these days have those heat exchangers.

I am wondering if this an Oz thing? I had a good trawl through Google to look for stuff on oil/water heat exchangers. I see that some Fiat/Alfa Romeo engines came with such a system as standard fit. I also saw references to some VW & BMW engines having them as well plus one on a very old Jag. Other than that the systems seem to be more focussed toward engines destined for the track rather than the road. I also found a Backhoe mechanical digger with such a system (track days maybe!?).

I did find two rather good videos on YouTube from one of your fellow countrymen. He did a comparison of before and after fitting an oil/water heat exchanger. Here they are...

https://youtu.be/RGJqEgTjxKc

https://youtu.be/LRh7MRDi-XY

For me, what was interesting was that regardless of with or without the oil cooler, this guy struggled to get his oil temperature above 105°C and that's in a BRZ Subaru being given way more revs that I would give it (you have heard about global warming Down Under yes?). It makes industry standard tests like the Sequence IIIG and Peugeot TU5 look far too extreme and frankly a bit silly (they run at 150°C for upto 100 hours). My guess is this guy could run ultra thin oils and have very little by way of problems.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 555
Originally Posted By: tempnexus
Ok so I keep reading (been lurking for over 7 years) on this forum that: "Don't use this additive it was good in the OLDEN DAYS OIL but current oils are the bomb" blah blah blah. So what is coming up within the next few years that will make our "Current oils" experience the same faith as the "Olden Days Oil"? I mean during those "Olden days" those oils were considered "The bomb".
Electric cars. No engine oil.
Don't worry, they will introduce aftermarket grounding cables, capacitors and empty boxes with wires coming out of them, to improve an electric car's... potential
lol.gif
happy2.gif

Originally Posted By: Jetronic

I am wondering if this an Oz thing? I had a good trawl through Google to look for stuff on oil/water heat exchangers. I see that some Fiat/Alfa Romeo engines came with such a system as standard fit. I also saw references to some VW & BMW engines having them as well plus one on a very old Jag. Other than that the systems seem to be more focussed toward engines destined for the track rather than the road. I also found a Backhoe mechanical digger with such a system (track days maybe!?).

I did find two rather good videos on YouTube from one of your fellow countrymen. He did a comparison of before and after fitting an oil/water heat exchanger. Here they are...

https://youtu.be/RGJqEgTjxKc

https://youtu.be/LRh7MRDi-XY

For me, what was interesting was that regardless of with or without the oil cooler, this guy struggled to get his oil temperature above 105°C and that's in a BRZ Subaru being given way more revs that I would give it (you have heard about global warming Down Under yes?). It makes industry standard tests like the Sequence IIIG and Peugeot TU5 look far too extreme and frankly a bit silly (they run at 150°C for upto 100 hours). My guess is this guy could run ultra thin oils and have very little by way of problems.

Any engine with a turbo is likely to have that now, and a good percentage of NA engines aswell. Only the smallest of the small, where price trumps everything, and the most sporty are exempt. The first wont have any oil cooler/heater, the latter will have a traditional oil to air cooler.

Will have a look at the videos, but I'm in the northern hemisphere, don't recall ever crossing the equator. But I've been close...

Originally Posted By: 5AcresAndAFool
S I remember when the N body Chevy Malibus came out in 97 or 98 I believe I remember seeing commercials that listed one of the selling points of that vehicle was it had one hundred thousand mile service intervals on transmission fluid and spark plugs.

When I bought my 96 Buick Century, the commercials said the same. "Lower maintenance costs! 5 years/100,000 miles before your first transmission fluid, spark plug and coolant change!" Of course rational folks like myself did those changes beforehand (every 30k miles) but I'm sure that appealed to older or lazier people who can't be bothered to do simple maintenance to their vehicle.

We already have sealed transmissions that aren't supposed to be serviced, and BMW has saw fit to remove the dipstick from their engines so that a service tech has to hook up an OBD-II scanner to see how if you need to top up or not, so we're definitely heading in that direction. Heck, they put plastic pans at the bottom of the engine compartment and a nice plastic cover over the top to subconsciously deter you from attempting maintenance on your own vehicle already!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back