BMW Rough Idle after Italian Tuneup

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been getting ready to change the oil in the 2012 335i (F30). The filters are on order and today I put in the PEA cleaner (Gumout Regane) and filled up with gas at Kroger(13 Gal) on the way home from work. Leaving the lot, I laid into the throttle once in the lane of traffic to give it a little work out 5-50mph... Along the way it suddenly seemed to free spool and then cut back to moderate RPMs. This happened to be at 45. It could have been me reacting to the strange noise and lifting off or the computer cutting the gas. I took it easy for a few (green)lights while pondering it and cruising sedately. I then saw that people had stopped short while I was thinking, so I tested the ABS. It worked, but not on the two dozen eggs I was carrying. After righting the egg containers in a side lot, I got back on the road. About 2 minutes later a message declaring a "drivetrain malfunction-call the dealer and drive sedately" came up. I drove home and cycled the power on the car. The fun parts of the drive were
After restart, the warning (!) went away and the CEL came up. It had seemed to be a little jerky on the way home and now idle was rough - auto start stop no longer possible on startup per computer or even keeping it running perhaps... low idle not feasible, but high idle fine...Measuring oil level executed fine. Still full. Air filter seemed to be in place. Possible that one edge was not fully clamped, but no marks to speak of and filter dirty but not obscene. Pulling filter made me remember that Model Change had resulted in wrong air filter coming last year from Amazon/Rock Auto, so I had left it in. Production date was 02/11/11. Perhaps it had passed the sniff test since new. It honestly didn't look dirty besides some darkening with something like brake dust in color.

I called the dealer and they mentioned 2 hours to diagnose. I mulled it over and decided that 2 dealer hours would buy a lot of other things, so I drove to Autozone. Codes thrown by basic reader were P00BD and P00BC - Air Flow reading too high(D) and too low (C). I am now digging around for the best OBD2 device for the BMW that I can continue to use as a car monitor to watch things like fuel economy and all the other outputs. I tried to use MAF cleaner but the symptoms persist. Luckily, I haven't put the truck up for sale, so the family has an emergency car to drive if needed and I will use the other car to go to work as needed until this is sorted.

What could be the issues? I know that monitoring it real time will let us know if more codes are being thrown. What is likelihood that accelerating at 85% throttle and then braking at 90% would take something down like the MAF? Any tidbits of wisdom? I will search the BMW forums and here shortly, I just wanted to throw this out there first.

First off, not sure if FI cleaners will help much in a DI engine. Not sure the dosing, but perhaps that came into play.

Too high and too low on the same sensor is a good sign in a way... it helps limit the possibilities.

I have to wonder if you did something funny with actuating the VANOS that threw something off? If that engine is like mine, it has no throttle plate, but the valves control it instead. So doing certain things with it actuated and then changing modes rapidly, perhaps threw it off?

Did you reset the codes?

Id let it cool for the night and see if it comes back. If you didn't reset the codes, it may take a few cycles to go off. If you did, you should know right quick if it comes back...

OBD p codes don't translate to BMW world. They use hex codes. Code description sounds like possible boost control problem. This could explain why the car seemed to shut off power.

Based on your description of the events my first thought is that you popped a charge pipe or connection when you were boosting it, and now you have a vacuum leak. It would explain the jerky behavior and rough idle. Could even be a ruptured pcv diaphragm.

Whatever device or software you end up with for monitoring, you should be looking real close at the additive and multiplicative mixture adaptations, often called fuel trims in generic devices. They should be within a few percent of zero.

Anything beyond that is a reason to get a smoke test performed to find any leaks that may be present in the intake or crank vent system, as well as measure the crankcase vacuum to check for possibly ruptured pcv diaphragm in the event there are no external leaks.

Very likely to be blown charge pipe. Symptoms match and it did sould a weird blow off valve when it went. Lack of boost would explain mellow response. I will confirm tomorrow if possible.

Floated the valves
19.gif

Originally Posted By: Malo83
Floated the valves
19.gif

Virtually impossible in any modern car. You hit the rev limiter first. I like the charge pipe. But it could be the blow off valve...

Last edited:
I will probably shadetree this one, as it is a known weak point in the system. It failed about 66 months after manufacturing date, and it is a plastic bit that sees variable pressure. As it is pretty easy to physically verify the damage, I will take it on.

I know that the fuel treatment does little to help the carbon build up on the valves, but ensuring the rest of the system is clean and dry makes me feel better. Fuel stays around longer in this car... we have added only 46500 miles to it since May 2012. I do try to get a week in it a month to use the old and replace it.

Thanks for the quick assist. I was running around and didn't have the usual research time...

Originally Posted By: Chris Meutsch
And now I know what a charge pipe is.
Why in the world do Germans use plastic parts in critical places?

It ain't just the Germans.

I noticed that with my 1991 318i that had a lot of piping under the valve cover. Should have been metal but instead was a network of plastic fittings.

If OPs car is like my 135i, it's quite hot under the hood, compared to other vehicles I own.

Reminds me of the one time I tried seafoam
shocked.gif

Engine backfired when I tried to restart and the PCV elbow ended up under the car after bouncing off the neighbors house!

Zay are the smartest engineers on za world!

There is a philosophy to design weakness into cheap noncritical parts so they fail first and protect expensive parts.

I don't think its just a blown tube though. That wouldn't cause a rough idle.

The MAF thinks xx amount of air is going into the engine while in reality it is blowing all over the engine compartment. The computer gets confused that the fuel it added to go with that air isn't burning right and starts to adjust everything and things start to go bonkers.

Originally Posted By: turtlevette
There is a philosophy to design weakness into cheap noncritical parts so they fail first and protect expensive parts.

I don't think its just a blown tube though. That wouldn't cause a rough idle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back