CVG flights right over downtown Cincinnati

Status
Not open for further replies.
A lot of this has to do with pitch.
The C5s always had a very low-pitched rumble.
OTOH, nothing screams like an old RR turbine, like the Dart or the Spey, although the little GEs used on the early Lears also had an ear-piercing shriek.
Before the advent of high bypass engines, things were loud.

Originally Posted By: hallstevenson
Originally Posted By: HerrStig
It's almost metallic.

I know that sound you're referring to. It sounds cool, but also kinda scary.

Yep, that C-5 growl. I got to know it well when I lived in Memphis and TANG flew them. I didn't even have to go outside and look up to know it was a C-5 (but I did anyway because it was so cool to see them fly over). Now replaced by C-17s, which are much quieter.

CVG lol. Why do they have TWO ramp frequencies? That airport is like a ghost town. Reminds me of a dead mall, you know a mall with mainly vacant store fronts. CLE is the same.

Originally Posted By: maximus
CVG lol. Why do they have TWO ramp frequencies? That airport is like a ghost town. Reminds me of a dead mall, you know a mall with mainly vacant store fronts. CLE is the same.
I blame Northwest. When Delta was all-Atlanta, CVG was a treasured part of their organization, with daily flights overseas on fine aircraft. When Delta merged with Northwest, CVG was relegated to the status of third party backwater while nearby DTW Detroit 'Worldport' won the war of route attrition after consolidation.

Northworst. Ugh. And don't get me started on the merger and seniority integration, they really did us over nicely.

The staple fiasco still cheeses me off.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back