How far would you drive for guaranteed job ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
Why not take the job 45 miles away and keeping looking for something closer to home in the mean time while you are collecting a paycheck ?

In this job market you have to take what you can find and quietly be looking. What would you do if someone tried to help you get a job ?
I'd be elated. Your friend doesn't realize the benefit of having a friend who is willing to look out for him.

I've had no such luck.

Depends on the traffic an roads. My wife does just shy of 25 miles each way. Mostly limited access parkways and interstates. But this is in the NY metro area and with the slightest hitch there is a major jam, no way of predicting when they hit (and they hit often).

I suspect she would trade her current ride in on a 45 mile each way trip with light traffic.

Originally Posted By: sleddriver
Why not take the job 45 miles away and keep looking for something closer to home in the mean time while you are collecting a paycheck ?

In this job market you have to take what you can find and quietly be looking. What would you do if someone tried to help you get a job ?

I'd be elated. Your friend doesn't realize the benefit of having a friend who is willing to look out for him.

I've had no such luck.

Not really a friend, just an acquaintance that I was trying to help.

This past Friday was his last day as a contractor...

A person I know was looking for a job and I told them I knew a manager (not at my employer) that was looking to hire (full-time with good benefits) and I could pretty much guarantee them the job with a phone call to my former colleague and vouch for this person and their quality of work / skills.

The person hemmed and hawed about driving 45 miles and 1 hour to work everyday. Fast forward a few months and this person will soon be out of work due to job contract expiration (was a temp with zero benefits, doesn't work for my employer) and now doesn't have anything lined up.

Why not take the job 45 miles away and keeping looking for something closer to home in the mean time while you are collecting a paycheck ?

If I was going to reference someone, I'd be peed off if he had no intention of staying there for a while. So be glad he told you not to bother...

A person I know was looking for a job and I told them I knew a manager (not at my employer) that was looking to hire (full-time with good benefits) and I could pretty much guarantee them the job with a phone call to my former colleague and vouch for this person and their quality of work / skills.

The person hemmed and hawed about driving 45 miles and 1 hour to work everyday. Fast forward a few months and this person will soon be out of work due to job contract expiration (was a temp with zero benefits, doesn't work for my employer) and now doesn't have anything lined up.

Yeah I've learned to not try to help people with jobs. They rarely take good advise, let him figure it out on his own.

My commute went from 5 minutes to 30 minutes, just wake up earlier and drive to work.

I agree take what you can get and keep looking.

Originally Posted By: ClutchDisc
I drive 27 miles to work, and it takes 40 to 50 minutes!

I've been doing this for over a year now.

40 miles for me (80mi round trip) and it takes 45min most times. Been doing it for 20yrs. All depends on the area. I would have found another career long ago had the trip been over and hour each way.

Normally I commute 42 miles each way, which takes about an hour. If I run out of the main terminal, it's only 29 miles and 40 minutes. Been doing this for 17+ years and you just get used to it. I'm part-time now, so only work 2-3 days a week.

Originally Posted By: tomcruise
I drive 88 miles each way every day.

I really hope it's a straight shot on the highway, and before or after rush hours due to the length of the commute. If so, that's a nice sweet straight shot, and I envy you.

My commute is traffic [censored].

Just an update:

The guy is still out of the industry but working as a custodian making 1/3 of what he could be making. He trys to network with his former colleagues looking for job leads and now says that an hour drive and 45 miles is OK with him.
smirk.gif

I'm not miffed but can't understand why was driving the back roads with little traffic such a big deal.

Maybe I'm older and tend to choose guaranteed offers..... than roll the dice and expect something to open up in the future.

My head office is 85km (54 Miles) one-way from my home. I work on the road daily in my trade area but have to show up to the office here/there for meetings etc. It's the way of life for most people that live outside of the Toronto area to travel crazy distances like this to work everyday not just occasionally like me, because real-estate values are so ridiculous.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Jetronic

If I was going to reference someone, I'd be peed off if he had no intention of staying there for a while. So be glad he told you not to bother...

This place has great benefits and really great place to work. Once hired most people don't want to leave, it's not a Mickey Mouse organization.

Now this guy is applying for jobs that takes him through terrible I-95 traffic that's always a nightmare. Hopefully he can find a job off I-95 and put his college degree to work.

My commute is just under 9 miles and takes about 15 minutes.

I thought that was wasting enough of my life,

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
My commute is just under 9 miles and takes about 15 minutes.

I thought that was wasting enough of my life,

True. I was trying to help the guy out, not punish him.

Wow...the wife and I live in a town that is exactly right in the middle of where we work. BOTH of us drive 45 minutes at least one way, and pay 3 dollars each per day in tolls. Been doing that since 1998....that's why there are so many cars in the sig block...start hitting 200K, we start picking out which Honda to get next and rotate. The next pick is MINE!!!!! I'll be looking for a used 2017 Accord coupe EX-L V6...last production year of the coupe.

Last edited:
It depends how much your time is worth to you...

Lose 2 hours a day, 10 hours a week on a drive? That's a lot of time to waste.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back