The new ford GT

Status
Not open for further replies.
Beautiful car.

However since I don't fit into it, it is just a piece of art to me.

Originally Posted By: BobsArmory
Originally Posted By: bioburner
Originally Posted By: tig1
Originally Posted By: CT8
I would rather have a Vette.

Why is that?

Probably wouldn't come with insurance bill equal to the price of the Vette

Understandable. But my post was made for the beauty of the lines of the car. I would assume that if one could afford the estimated MSRP of $450,000 USD they wouldn't be concerned with the insurance premium.
I agree-you could buy 3 or 4 pretty nice 'Vettes for the price of one GT-just to have an EcoBoost under the glass!
crazy.gif

Originally Posted By: tig1
Originally Posted By: Linctex
Originally Posted By: BobsArmory

Understandable. But my post was made for the beauty of the lines of the car. I would assume that if one could afford the estimated MSRP of $450,000 USD they wouldn't be concerned with the insurance premium.

Exactly!!

I don't recall there being any problems selling the last batch, either

It's my understanding that everyone Ford can build, there is a buyer waiting in the wings.

It's even worse than that. Prospective buyers had to fill out applications to buy one, explaining their long-term passion for Ford products, and how they planned to use the car. Even the designer of the previous Ford GT had to fill out an application.

A few things really bug me about the new GT.

What doesn't bug me is how it looks. If you haven't seen one in person, it will blow your mind. It is a very beautiful car, but obviously incredibly functional on how it manages airflow around the car. It reminds me of the Enzo in that it doesn't really translate how awesome it actually looks in photos.

What bugs me...

Ford doesn't build it. Having Multimatic build it just seems so disingenuous, almost like it's a kit car. Kinda like Chevrolet's indy car engines that are actually built by Illmore, there's more to the story than the badge.

The application process is ridiculous. A guy named Andy Frisella got his Ford GT because he has a huge social media presence, runs a popular podcast, and is highly involved with the GoldRush Rally. Basically, Ford knows he'll be a marketing machine for the car. I'm not hating on him in particular, he seems like a pretty decent car dude, but he is the first to really talk about getting his GT and the steps involved. It really identifies what Ford is trying to do with the car: Marketing. It's not about actually winning LeMans, it's the publicity surrounding it. Even the purchase process was advertised and discussed in the media.

Also, I don't think the car will have the same performance appeal as the last GT. The previous GT, already a decade old, is still the darling and go-to car for standing-mile competition. I don't see the new one ever going there. It's like a dyno queen. It puts up big numbers for the sake of big numbers... but nobody ever actually uses it.

Originally Posted By: A_Harman

It's even worse than that. Prospective buyers had to fill out applications to buy one, explaining their long-term passion for Ford products, and how they planned to use the car. Even the designer of the previous Ford GT had to fill out an application.

Even with all that application and approval business, there has already been flippers selling them off as soon as they get them.

What is something they also don't say is not every dealer is allowed to work on them. There was an application process that included a $40k fee plus required tools, Super Duty and covered trailer that were required to be purchased by the dealer. The rules stipulated that only two people in a service department could touch the vehicle, a technician and a designated service representative who had to have a dedicated cell phone for owners to call 24/7 for a service pickup. Owners are told to not bring cars in for any service but to have them trailered in so no-one can see one at the dealer. Also any dealer has to have a dedicated bay used only for GTs and "Ford Performance" vehicles.

We obviously declined mostly because we don't have room for all of that. Also parts ordered for non servicing dealers is very limited. There are also different levels of repair for the GT. the lowest is a repair that can be done locally, then there is a repair that can be done locally with a "doctor" flown out to assist, and third is a repair that requires the vehicle to be returned to Multimatic.

I don't like those massive holes on each side. Leaving the rear wheels standing on their own like an experimental efficiency vehicle look.

As far as capability, you could buy a vette and do some very cost effective mods to make it faster around a track, if it isn't already. This is what supercar owners find out at track days getting bested by a mustang with mods.

The original gt and the last round are my favorite. This thing looks like a transformers version. A little too much.

Last edited:
I imagine some people will buy them as mostly stationary automotive performance art. Some will buy them to run hard on the track too.
Hopefully it spits flames when bounced of the limiter as that's a key selling point for some!
No word yet if this one uses the steering rack out of a focus like the old one, but somehow I doubt it.

Originally Posted By: IndyIan
No word yet if this one uses the steering rack out of a focus like the old one, but somehow I doubt it

No it is bespoke for the GT. There are some parts from other vehicles. The air filter, FA-1912A is the same as a Fusion. Head bolts, intake and exhaust valves, valve stem seals, finger followers, and the camshaft position sensors look like they are from the Ecoboost F150. The cylinder head temp sensor is from an Escape, but it is used on a ton of vehicles. A lot of the gaskets looks like they are from a F150 3.5EB. Heads, camshafts, and block are bespoke to the GT. Knock sensors are from an Edge V6.

The bespoke parts for the most parts do not have a price listing yet. Can't wait to see what some of them go for.

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
Originally Posted By: DemoFly
Beautiful car, great chassis.

Awesome lifting and lowering system.

I wish they would have chose to build a bespoke V8 for it.

THIS! Full of great engineering but a V6? No thanks...

The V6 funny enough doesn't bother me a bit. I'm sure its hand built with every conceivable tweak with the best bespoke parts not just out of some mass production crate.
The Jaguar XJ220 had a 3.5 twin turbo also and there are not many cars faster than that even today regardless of how many cylinders.

Originally Posted By: Trav

The V6 funny enough doesn't bother me a bit.

The V6 doesn't bother me just because it's a V6. What MIGHT bother me is the sound that the V6 makes as compared to the V8 of the previous GT.
In other words, I've heard the V8 GT, but I have yet to hear the new V6 GT. Does the new V6 sound like V6, or does it sounds like a V8?
It's possible that the SOUND could bother me.
Funny, though, how the haters of the new GT wouldn't turn one down if it was given to them, although they will probably post that they would sell it and use the money to buy something else.
If there would be one thing that I would hate about the GT is that I'm 6'6" and maybe 6'7" in the morning, so I know how I'd fit into one of them.

Originally Posted By: MrHorspwer
A few things really bug me about the new GT.

What doesn't bug me is how it looks. If you haven't seen one in person, it will blow your mind. It is a very beautiful car, but obviously incredibly functional on how it manages airflow around the car. It reminds me of the Enzo in that it doesn't really translate how awesome it actually looks in photos.

What bugs me...

Ford doesn't build it. Having Multimatic build it just seems so disingenuous, almost like it's a kit car. Kinda like Chevrolet's indy car engines that are actually built by Illmore, there's more to the story than the badge.

The application process is ridiculous. A guy named Andy Frisella got his Ford GT because he has a huge social media presence, runs a popular podcast, and is highly involved with the GoldRush Rally. Basically, Ford knows he'll be a marketing machine for the car. I'm not hating on him in particular, he seems like a pretty decent car dude, but he is the first to really talk about getting his GT and the steps involved. It really identifies what Ford is trying to do with the car: Marketing. It's not about actually winning LeMans, it's the publicity surrounding it. Even the purchase process was advertised and discussed in the media.

Also, I don't think the car will have the same performance appeal as the last GT. The previous GT, already a decade old, is still the darling and go-to car for standing-mile competition. I don't see the new one ever going there. It's like a dyno queen. It puts up big numbers for the sake of big numbers... but nobody ever actually uses it.

The original Ford GT40's were based on the Lola T70 and were built by Shelby American, so I don't have a problem with Multimatic building the "production" cars.

I agree with you about the Marketing. Ford has gone all out to create buzz about the car in different segments of the car-buying public. And the WEC/ACO helped them greatly at LeMans in 2016 to make sure they "won" the 50th anniversary event to the 1966 triumph. In actuality, they only won the GT class, not overall, and the organizers gave them a performance advantage by handicapping the competition with small restrictors as late as a couple of weeks before the event. Even in the closing stages of the race last year, the officials tried to penalize the 3rd place Ferrari so assure a 1-2-3 for Ford. Ferrari courageously ignored that attempt at stage-managing the finish.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back