Factory Tires and Warranty

Status
Not open for further replies.
To answer the question as to where to go. Call Michelin Corporate and get their recommendation. If they don't have one, try Discount Tire, if you have one near you.

As has been stated, pretty much all tires supplied to new vehicles are not covered by a treadwear warranty. There are some exceptions - and this is one of them.

Originally Posted By: Traction
The mileage warranty claim is more trouble than it's worth anyway, unless you really want to run your tires for another 10kmi just to get to 2/32's to even try and make a claim. Never even worried about it much with any tire, due to so many variables. When they get to a certain point, like it or not, I just buy new ones, and keep rolling. I've known people that have tried to make a warranty claim when their tires are half worn thinking they won't make it to the rated mileage. It doesn't work that way. Yours might make it longer than you think, because they wear slower later in life.

Sorry, I missed your post. Yes, it seems like they make it very difficult to ever really make a claim, so you are probably right.

I normally wouldn't care, but with around 50% life, prorated would be a pretty big discount.

Originally Posted By: CapriRacer
To answer the question as to where to go. Call Michelin Corporate and get their recommendation. If they don't have one, try Discount Tire, if you have one near you.

As has been stated, pretty much all tires supplied to new vehicles are not covered by a treadwear warranty. There are some exceptions - and this is one of them.

Yeah, looks like I will be giving Michelin a call. There also is a DT close by as well. Thanks.

Originally Posted By: kjbock
The mileage warranty claim is more trouble than it's worth anyway, unless you really want to run your tires for another 10kmi just to get to 2/32's to even try and make a claim. Never even worried about it much with any tire, due to so many variables. When they get to a certain point, like it or not, I just buy new ones, and keep rolling. I've known people that have tried to make a warranty claim when their tires are half worn thinking they won't make it to the rated mileage. It doesn't work that way. Yours might make it longer than you think, because they wear slower later in life.

Sorry, I missed your post. Yes, it seems like they make it very difficult to ever really make a claim, so you are probably right.

I normally wouldn't care, but with around 50% life, prorated would be a pretty big discount.

Sorry, but you didn't catch my point, that was you cannot even attempt to make a claim with 50% tread. You have to wait until they are almost bald at 2/32's.

Originally Posted By: Nate1979
Maybe every auto manufacturer is different but I thought that in general wear items, like tires are either not covered or are only covered during the bumper to bumper coverage. And generally only for defects, not wear. For example this is the case for my GMC Sierra. Warranty booklet is very explicit that wear is not covered for tires. Only defects.

Also, I have never seen a mileage rating for an OEM tire (OEM tire is not the same tire that is on the shelf at the tire store).

Nate1979, what tires came with your truck? Mine came with General Grabbers. I just turned 25k and the loclal tire dealer I trust said I might have 4k left on them. This with rotations every 5k an mostly highway miles. I wouldn't want them prorated anyway, even if I could, if I had to put the same tires back on. No way I'm going to replace them with another set of General Grabbers.

Last edited:

Sorry, but you didn't catch my point, that was you cannot even attempt to make a claim with 50% tread. You have to wait until they are almost bald at 2/32's.

No, I got it. I know I have to wait until they are 2/32" and I don't think it will take 10K miles to get there. I'm at 21K now and in 6K miles I will be at 50% of treadlife and most likely down to 2/32".

Originally Posted By: Sierra048
Originally Posted By: Nate1979
Maybe every auto manufacturer is different but I thought that in general wear items, like tires are either not covered or are only covered during the bumper to bumper coverage. And generally only for defects, not wear. For example this is the case for my GMC Sierra. Warranty booklet is very explicit that wear is not covered for tires. Only defects.

Also, I have never seen a mileage rating for an OEM tire (OEM tire is not the same tire that is on the shelf at the tire store).

Nate1979, what tires came with your truck? Mine came with General Grabbers. I just turned 25k and the loclal tire dealer I trust said I might have 4k left on them. This with rotations every 5k an mostly highway miles. I wouldn't want them prorated anyway, even if I could, if I had to put the same tires back on. No way I'm going to replace them with another set of General Grabbers.

My truck came with all terrain tires, Bridgestone Duravis on my 2500. They are an ok tire. No issues.

I recently had two tires replaced under warranty. The warranty is prorated and I had half the warranty mileage so I got new tires at about half price. The warranty was serviced by the store where I purchased them. I went in complaining of front end noise thinking it was probably brakes. He store confirmed the brakes were OK and blamed the noise on cupping tires (I am meticulous about tire pressures, balance and alignment). I am a "good customer" of this particular store. They volunteered the warranty solution. I was happy to accept.

No, I got it. I know I have to wait until they are 2/32" and I don't think it will take 10K miles to get there. I'm at 21K now and in 6K miles I will be at 50% of treadlife and most likely down to 2/32".

To give an update on this, just visited Discount Tire this weekend and they filed the warranty claim for me.

I got $110/tire off a new set of Michelin's ($440 discount). All four tires were around 3/32".

So anyone with a brand new Honda/Acura and their OEM tires wear out fast, make sure to contact the tire manufacturer and file a claim.

By the way, my experience at Discount Tire was great. They did an excellent job on the installation (nice to be able to watch the whole process)

I wonder why I didn't comment on this thread back in November. I'll do so now.

As a general rule, OE tires (the ones that come on new cars from the factory) are NOT covered by a mileage warranty - but there are some exceptions. What is confusing is the warranty booklets put in the glove box of new cars aren't as explicit about mileage not being covered as they could be.

So don't expect the vehicle dealer or the tire dealer to do anything on an OE tire (with those few exceptions).

The best way to handle this is to call the tire manufacturer's 800 number and explain the situation. As has been pointed out in this thread, the tires need to be near the wear out point of 2/32nds, although the company I worked for used 4/32nds as the divide between doing something or not.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: CapriRacer
I wonder why I didn't comment on this thread back in November. I'll do so now.

As a general rule, OE tires (the ones that come on new cars from the factory) are NOT covered by a mileage warranty - but there are some exceptions. What is confusing is the warranty booklets put in the glove box of new cars aren't as explicit about mileage not being covered as they could be.

So don't expect the vehicle dealer or the tire dealer to do anything on an OE tire (with those few exceptions).

The best way to handle this is to call the tire manufacturer's 800 number and explain the situation. As has been pointed out in this thread, the tires need to be near the wear out point of 2/32nds, although the company I worked for used 4/32nds as the divide between doing something or not.

Well my tires were not at 2/32" and they still gave me the full discount as if they were. I contacted Michelin first and they gave me a case number and told me to visit an authorized retailer. Never contacted the car dealer. Like I said, if you have an Acura or Honda I would highly recommending contacting the tire manufacturer if your tires wear faster than the warranty mileage.

Last edited:
... Well my tires were not at 2/32" and they still gave me the full discount as if they were. I contacted Michelin first and they gave me a case number and told me to visit an authorized retailer. Never contacted the car dealer. Like I said, if you have an Acura or Honda I would highly recommending contacting the tire manufacturer if your tires wear faster than the warranty mileage.

My 'speculation' would be that if you contacted the car dealer alone about the mileage warranty you'd have been SOL. 'Perhaps' if Michelin got involved that would have changed, but I doubt it would have been as smooth a process as dealing with DT. Plus you now have the advantage of DT services after the sale.

While I've never warranted a set of factory tires at DT, I have had them give me a nice adjustment on two factory tires, two different vehicles, that got punctures in non repairable areas. DT took care of the calls to the manufacturers at the store, BFG/Michelin and Goodyear. I've also gotten a nice prorated adjustment on a couple sets of tires purchased there that didn't meet the tread wear warranty. Ime that seems to be SOP with DT.

Glad it worked out to your satisfaction.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back