Oil wt for a 2012 MB C300

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: UncleDave

There is a big gap between 229.31 and the .5X's

Both 229.51 and 229.52 have the same sulphated ash limit (0.8 max).

Quattro Pete has done pretty good research on this here, but love to see your link.
I have two vehicle that call for 229.52 and its a royal pain to find.

OP has a gasoline engine, and as such it requires MB 229.5 spec. Not 229.51 and not 229.52.

229.5 is a full SAPS spec.

So M1 0-40 is fine with the 229.5.

Originally Posted By: FordCapriDriver
Probably 0W-40 would be the best.
Also Tig1, do you ever use or recomend anything other than M1? i have never seen someone so religiously devoted to any brand, ever.

No I don't use any other oil. I have used M1 oils since 1978 and to this day see no reason to use any other. However I also don't criticize other brands and realize there are other good oils out there. I know what I get with M1 so why change?

I'd tend to agree because Ive been running M1 since 90 in almost everything, but I have seen examples where there are better choices.

Oddly some Nissans dont seem to like M1 it putting out more lead than when run on say Penzoil.

Having had several Nissans Ive paid close attention to their UOA's over the years and gleaned this from blackstone/ polaris data on various models.

studying batches of UOAs on your particular example can often yield interesting useful info about oil choices.

UD

Last edited:
M1 OW-40 was my first thought with your first post.
Other than being a lot quicker and faster than your usual daily driver, what do you think of this little Benz?
Should be very pleasant as compared to a four cylinder Fusion.
If you'd like, give us the backstory on why you'll be driving this little Mercedes long enough to be worried about changing its oil.

Originally Posted By: tig1

So M1 0-40 is fine with the 229.5.

Yes.

That's what I used to run in wife's '08 C300 at 10K OCI. My UOA is here somewhere...

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
Other than being a lot quicker and faster than your usual daily driver, what do you think of this little Benz?
If you'd like, give us the backstory on why you'll be driving this little Mercedes long enough to be worried about changing its oil.

Sure. There are 4 MB's in my daughters family, and this is my grand daughters, as her and my daughter and SIL are in calif for the week. My wife is looking after the 4 other GC, and has the Fusion. The Focus is being used by another family member, so I was offered the MB for the week. My SIL uses M1 oils but typically uses M1 10-30 in all his engines, except the MB diesels. They also have an Infinity full size SUV and two Ford F350s with gas engines, one with a dump bed. As for the oil inquiry, I want to give my SIL the scoop on the C300 as I'm sure it has M1 10-30 in the sump. Really, the Fusion is as tight on the hyw as the MB and has a slightly better ride, but the MB has the HP and is fun to drive. The Benz has 47K and my Fusion has 209K. Also I noticed the Fusion is slightly "quiter" at Hyw speed than the C300. However the Benz has more goodies, but OH! how I hate the premium fuel rip off.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27

Sure. There are 4 MB's in my daughters family, and this is my grand daughters, as her and my daughter and SIL are in calif for the week. My wife is looking after the 4 other GC, and has the Fusion. The Focus is being used by another family member, so I was offered the MB for the week. My SIL uses M1 oils but typically uses M1 10-30 in all his engines, except the MB diesels. They also have an Infinity full size SUV and two Ford F350s with gas engines, one with a dump bed. As for the oil inquiry, I want to give my SIL the scoop on the C300 as I'm sure it has M1 10-30 in the sump. Really, the Fusion is as tight on the hyw as the MB and has a slightly better ride, but the MB has the HP and is fun to drive. The Benz has 47K and my Fusion has 209K. Also I noticed the Fusion is slightly "quiter" at Hyw speed than the C300. However the Benz has more goodies, but OH! how I hate the premium fuel rip off.

I believe the only M1 that meets MB 229.5 is 0w40. There's also some 5w40, but that's only at the dealer and regular 0w40 is fine. I'm surprised no one mention Castrol so far, they have 0w30 and 0w40 in MB 229.5. They also have BMW LL-01 which Mobil 1 had at one point, but lost recently.

As for premium, you can mix 1/3 87 with 2/3 93 if you have that to get 91 which is all that it requires. Otherwise if you just have 91, stick to 91. There are a few people out there who claim that they run regular on their engines all the time and count on the knock sensors if there's any issues. Not that brave myself to try that on my E-350.

Originally Posted By: Wolf359
I'm surprised no one mention Castrol so far,

That's because we know tig1.
smile.gif

We(my SIL and myself only use M1 oils), so Castrol is not an option. Why does MB and others engineer their engines to require premium gas? I also noticed that E-85 is OK according to the gas cap. Of course you lose 20% or so in MPG. No good options AFAIC.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: Wolf359
I'm surprised no one mention Castrol so far,

That's because we know tig1.
smile.gif

Yep, we might as well mention LM or something not even on the market in North America, for that matter. Tig1 will have no problem finding M1 0w-40 in the store.
wink.gif

tig1: Just about every luxury or sports car has been calling for premium for years. My old Audi even did. The Town Car didn't, but those are geared towards old farts who would use regular anyhow. But, there certainly are examples in just about ever make out there that will call for premium, including Ford and Lincoln.

Originally Posted By: UncleDave

There is a big gap between 229.31 and the .5X's

Both 229.51 and 229.52 have the same sulphated ash limit (0.8 max).

Quattro Pete has done pretty good research on this here, but love to see your link.

I have two vehicle that call for 229.52 and its a royal pain to find.

UD

I believe you're correct about the Saps limit: somehow I got it in my head MB229.52 was based on ACEA C4.

We(my SIL and myself only use M1 oils), so Castrol is not an option. Why does MB and others engineer their engines to require premium gas? I also noticed that E-85 is OK according to the gas cap. Of course you lose 20% or so in MPG. No good options AFAIC.

Oh, didn't realize you were a true believer in Mobil 1. Got a bunch of Castrol 0w30 and 0w40 at the Autozone sale for $2 a quart and also picked up some Pennzoil 5w40. They all meet MB 229.5 spec so I don't worry about it. Oh I just looked and Pennzoil Euro also meets BMW LL-01 spec. I was debating getting Mobil 1 when the rebate was on, but $10 for 5 quarts is still cheaper than $10.88 after rebate so I didn't bother.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back