3k +Camping generator suggestions

Status
Not open for further replies.
My little Ryobi Inverter with a peak of 2200 just is not cutting it for the new to me 5th wheel campers demands. I know go Honda or Yamaha but d$#@ they want over 2k for a unit that's 3000 watts and that's without electric start remote. Champion seems to have a 3400 with all that I want for a hair over a grand with decent 3 year warranty. Home Depot and Walmart have a couple that I have never heard of with the wants of remote start(who wants to get out in the AM and start anything to start the coffee)and 3000 watts plus. Don't want to go permanent install but put in truck bed

We have a Champion with the 30A RV plug built in. It's been great.

I'd love to have a Honda or Yamaha but couldn't afford it.

The Champion is a teense louder than those but you can still have a conversation over it.

Look at the boliy, if you can't swing a Japanese unit.

Its got a real fully digital inverter and is lighter than the Japanese units.

A quick way to see true ownership value is to compare reality quality by the number of hours between valve lash inspections between cheap and good units.

UD

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: CT8
The Honda is the way to go . Buy once cry once.

I have Yamahas and Hodas and I like the Yammies better.

UD

Originally Posted By: Chris142
The utility generators are too loud. Often not allowed on campgrounds. Plus your neighbors will tell you off.

Or sabotage them when your gone with the rest of the camps blessing

And again when it gets stolen. One of the hottest items to be stolen around here is a Honda generator. They caught a ahole trying to get my friends Honda at Knob Creek machine gun shoot. I didn't want to know what the management did to them.

Originally Posted By: bioburner

And again when it gets stolen. One of the hottest items to be stolen around here is a Honda generator. They caught a ahole trying to get my friends Honda at Knob Creek machine gun shoot. I didn't want to know what the management did to them.

That sounds like the dumbest place on the planet to try and steal something.

Originally Posted By: copcarguy
We have a Champion with the 30A RV plug built in. It's been great.

I'd love to have a Honda or Yamaha but couldn't afford it.

The Champion is a teense louder than those but you can still have a conversation over it.

I have this also. Champion 3100 with remote start, RV plug. Got it for $800 on one of Overstocks 17% off deals (common). Love it, always starts first time. I have never used pull rope, just push button on remote. Doubters cannot beleive it until they see it and barely hear it. Fully equal to Honda at 1/3 or 1/2 the price. Dead reliable, there are now similar 3400 watt versions, parallel option, etc.

Last edited:
We have solar panels on our camp trailer roof. No noise, refueling or maintenance. Never have needed a generator except for emergency backup at home.

The problem with many of the Chinese generators (and almost everything else the Chinese sell) is that they overstate (lie about) the capability of their products. I have a cheap Sportsman generator I purchased on sale from Home Depot that is supposed to output 1400 continuous watts (2000 watts surge), I broke it in and then I tested it, the generator BARELY produces 1000 continuous watts. I took it back and exchanged it for another one, same story. To get all of the power that you really need you will need to buy a Chinese generator with a higher "stated" output, making them less of a real bargain. This is not a problem with the reputable name brand generators like Honda, Yamaha, Generac, B&S (etc) even though some of these are also produced in China. The difference is that these reputable companies don't lie about the output of their generators.
The Chinese obviously don't have anything like the FTC to prevent manufacturers from doing this sort of thing, and our FTC doesn't have any jurisdiction over them.

Last edited:
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Champion-Power-Equipment-3-500-4-000-Watt-Gasoline-Powered-Recoil-Start-RV-Ready-Portable-Generator-46596/203589520?cm_mmc=Shopping%7cTHD%7cG%7c0%7cG-BASE-PLA-D28I-Generators%7c&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIt_yLj_bJ1AIV1xKBCh0pygjUEAQYBCABEgIrzvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

The 3500/4000 Champion 115V generator can be had for as low as $219. It's the common choice for RV's and is known to last.

Best-Portable-Generator-for-Sump-Pump2-300x221.jpg

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Cujet
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Champion-Power-Equipment-3-500-4-000-Watt-Gasoline-Powered-Recoil-Start-RV-Ready-Portable-Generator-46596/203589520?cm_mmc=Shopping%7cTHD%7cG%7c0%7cG-BASE-PLA-D28I-Generators%7c&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIt_yLj_bJ1AIV1xKBCh0pygjUEAQYBCABEgIrzvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

The 3500/4000 Champion 115V generator can be had for as low as $219. It's the common choice for RV's and is known to last.

Best-Portable-Generator-for-Sump-Pump2-300x221.jpg

Its a open frame non inverter model that most campgrounds(campers any way) will chase you out for using. I have friends that use one and while it works well everyone cheers when it runs out of gas at night.

You could go with two Harbor Freight 2000 watt inverter generators and their parallel kit for around $1,000 total. It also gives you the option for less fuel consumption/noise if you only need one running during low-demand situations.

Originally Posted By: Langanobob
We have solar panels on our camp trailer roof. No noise, refueling or maintenance. Never have needed a generator except for emergency backup at home.

Solar panels are great. No noise, no maintenance, no refueling.

....and no air conditioning.

UD

No remote start. There is truck loads(I am not exaggerating) of these gennys at south TX fleamarkets. Must be a very high return

We've got the yamaha 3k inverter. It was a pretty penny to buy but has been a good machine. Before that we had the honda 2k inverter. Both have their good points, neither to me has a clear advantage. I like that yamaha has all of the controls on one side, from a design perspective. I think the honda equivalent may be a touch lighter and a touch better on fuel. The yamaha seems a bit more robust to me. I'm not sure who will service the yamaha should it ever have a significant failure. I'd imagine either the honda or yamaha 3k inverter units would be good for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back