Pellet Grills

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am thinking about getting a pellet grill. I have down google searches for the best grill around 1000 Canadian and the choices are numerous. I respect the advice from this forum. So what are you using and why.

My uncle got a smoker that uses pellets. Not sure what the processed pellets are made of, but the turkey ends up getting a "burnt electronics" flavour to it every time.

Don't bother with anything other than a Traeger.

This is the wrong forum to be asking this question on, really....

Originally Posted By: PeterPolyol
My uncle got a smoker that uses pellets. Not sure what the processed pellets are made of, but the turkey ends up getting a "burnt electronics" flavour to it every time.

If not using pellets made for grilling but those made for heating the pellets may have recycled wood and that may have who knows what in the mix. There is pellet manufactures that use virgin woods. Try kernal corn for a change.

Id vote for either a Traeger or Louisiana pellet grill. I got a friend of mine a Louisiana and it still works great and its been at least a few years now.

https://m.canadiantire.ca/products/produ...erverName=ATLAS

The CS680 grill is made in Canada whereas their LG models (identical to CS models are made in China. The company told me the build quality was very comparable so if you like the CS model, you can save a couple hundred by going with an LG series (if your budget is firm). I believe Traeger is easier to find/have shipped in the USA than Canada. Unless you can find a Canadian vendor for them. Compare specs and prices to see what meets ur needs.

Originally Posted By: bioburner
Originally Posted By: PeterPolyol

If not using pellets made for grilling but those made for heating the pellets may have recycled wood and that may have who knows what in the mix. There is pellet manufactures that use virgin woods. Try kernal corn for a change.

You need to make sure it says 100% hardwood pellets with no fillers or additives.

Originally Posted By: benjamming
Originally Posted By: Linctex
This is the wrong forum to be asking this question on, really....

Here's a good place to do some research if you haven't found this site yet. Amazing Ribs

+1,

Its an excellent resource/website! Its my go to for anything BBQ!

For your price range, Green Mountain Grill is absolutely the way to go. And Meathead over on the AmazingRibs.com website will tell you the same thing.

Traeger makes a great pellet grill, except for one feature. That is the controller. It has very limited settings, only adjusting at 25° F increments. And it is notorious for running high at the magical 225° F temperature. And, it's top temperature is only 400° F. The Traeger controller does not include a food temperature probe option, unless you get the pro controller, which most of their grills in your price range does not include.

For this primary reason, Meathead recommends the Green Mountain Grill as a better choice than the Traeger.

The Green Mountain Grill can be changed in 5° F increments, with a range from 150° - 500° F. Plus it has a built in food temperature probe option. For your price range, you can probably get the wifi controller option, which allows you to program temperature events, control and monitor the grill temperature from your smart phone.

Traeger has recently offered a new grill, the Timberline series. It really raises the bar. The controller is top notch, it has shelves for extra capacity, and the way it uses convection to reduce cook time and give even smoke across food on all three shelves. But it way out of your price range. The cheaper version is $1700 USD.

Yoder, Rec Tec, and Memphis Grills all make great grills also, but they are premium grill with premium prices.

Take a real serious look at the Green Mountain Grill line. You won't be disappointed.

Also, pellets are not all created equal. I prefer Lumberjack pellets over Traeger or Green Mountain Grill pellets. Try the brands you find in your area. I'm sure you will find a superior product to Traeger pellets.

The north metro dealer of pellet grills handles several brands of pellets and was my source for pellets and the Lumber Jack pellets were a good burning premium pellet and the softwood blend is what a Italian stove I have eats. Hearth.com is a site for non conventional heating systems. They have a section for pellet stoves and pretty much any thing that does not use fuel oil.

I'll second the Green Mountain Grill recommendation. Just did a brisket on mine yesterday, turned out excellent.

I recently went through the same thing - replaced our worn out Masterbuilt Propane Smoker which was rusting out at the bottom with a new pellet grill. I'd recommend you look at Pelletheads.com, amazngribs.com , and even smokingmeatforums.com for reviews.

Skip the Traeger. From what everyone says they are overpriced and not what they used to. Apparently in their quest for domination they have cheapened out a bit and the customer service leaves a lot to be desired.

Green Mountain makes a very good grill but it can be pricey. I looked at them and did like what I saw and was planning on one of their grills.

Look at Camp Chef - Not sure how their prices are in Canada but their grills are very well reviewed and easy on the budget. I picked up the DLX from Field & Stream for $499 and it's a great upgrade. It's got the features, 3 year warranty, and a Gold Rating from Amazing Ribs . Since they did their review I think Camp Chef fixed the issue with the hopper releases as mine have very good latches. It holds temps well and puts out some amazing food.

Just did ribs and steak last night for dinner and they both came out amazing on the grill. Before that it was a 12+ hour pork butt that everyone raved about. I like this unit better than our propane as it's truly set and forget. The propane was constant adjustment as the sun danced around our back yard.

Pellets - only buy BBQ pellets and you won't have issues. I picked up some Camp Chef while I was buying the grill (Cherry and Hickory) and also picked up a 40lb bag of Pit Boss competition blend at Wal-Mart for $20. Both make good smoke and nothing tastes off.

Thanks for all the replies. I will do the research on the sites all of you pointed me to and I will let you know what I get. Again Thank you

Congratulations! That's a fine grill - it was the one I was eyeing up before getting the Camp Chef. From what I've read the WiFi is slick and will serve you well.

Originally Posted By: Scrum67
After much research and calling around I found a Green Mountain Jim Bowie with Wi Fi... Thanks for the help.

Great! You will not be disappointed. Happy grilling.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back