anyone can share FRAM XG7317's flow-delta p graph?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd have a relatively hard time believing that, esp. when you consider my "two 5-gallon bucket" scenario on your other thread.

Well, from what Motorking has said, the full synthetic XG filters will flow better than the old Purolator PureOne which flowed lots of GPM with a low delta-p. Curve below is for the PureOne PL14006 which is about the same size as the XG7317. Keep in mind, this is hot thin oil flow which makes the delta-p much less across the oil filter.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
... Keep in mind, this is hot thin oil flow which makes the delta-p much less across the oil filter.
No doubt. I don't see how that graph can mean much unless we're also informed specifically how thin the oil was.

Originally Posted By: CR94
Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
... Keep in mind, this is hot thin oil flow which makes the delta-p much less across the oil filter.
No doubt. I don't see how that graph can mean much unless we're also informed specifically how thin the oil was.

Graph was with 5W-30 at 200 deg F. When oil is 200 deg F or more, there won't be a huge difference in delta-p from the slight difference in hot viscosity. But do the same test with oil at room temperature or half way to full operating temperature and you'd see a huge shift in the delta-p curve. With cold oil, the delta-p vs flow is much higher, and that's why the filter might go into bypass, and the oil pump might hit pressure relief.

this graph seems it performs so well which means fram xg is now the king of everything.
can I ask where this graph is coming from and is the "better than" source reliable?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Eugene_Von
this graph seems it performs so well which means fram xg is now the king of everything.
can I ask where this graph is coming from and is the "better than" source reliable?

That graph was data taken by Purolator on their flow bench: LINK

Here's where Motorking talks about the flow rate of the Ultra. Keep reading in this post from the point where you get taken by this link: LINK

Yeah, pretty hard to beat the Ultra in anything ... still #1 among many here.

Let's not forget Jim Allen's data logging of dP ... done some time ago.
The dP across the media is FAR, FAR smaller than the resistant dP across the various engine surfaces and orifices.
Filters rarely go into bypass, even with cold oil. Even when they do, it's only for a very short time and then the dP balances across the media again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back