Use Loctite (red or blue) of firearm screws?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've never tried using Loctite on firearm screws, but using Loctite "Blue" seems pretty harmless in the sense that you can still easily remove screws for cleaning/disassembly of individual parts, etc., if/when you need to.

I personally have never used Loctite "Red", which seems a little risky to me because I'm told it can be a real pain to remove screws that have been coated with it, although I see Amazon sells a Loctite Red for guns - https://www.amazon.com/Loctite-Firearm-T...octite+for+guns

What do you think about using Loctite, in general, on your firearm screws? What about using it for pins?

Thank you,
Ed

There's different strengths & different kinds of both red and blue, correct?

In the old days, it was only by color - but now they have different versions of each color.

133-134.jpg

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
Yeah red is a bad idea for anything that you ever want to take apart

^ This

I don't know about guns, but on automotive applications, I use red all the time, and have never had any problem getting things back apart again. Of course, I only use it on things that seem to always be coming loose on their own without it.

Blue for a firearm you are going to be using hand tools on

The red is vicious typically requiring a heat & beat or air tools.

Check out BITOG thread #4080577 it recommends Vibra-TITE you can get it from McMasterCarr they have a web site. You probably want the 1 OZ bottle because it has the brush on applicator. McMasterCarr part number is 75145A69

Originally Posted By: JimPghPA
Check out BITOG thread #4080577 it recommends Vibra-TITE you can get it from McMasterCarr they have a web site. You probably want the 1 OZ bottle because it has the brush on applicator. McMasterCarr part number is 75145A69

What's the difference between Vibra-TITE and LocTite? Clearly, if I'm going to use LocTite...I'd want to use "Blue" or maybe even "Purple"? - https://www.amazon.com/Loctite-38653-Pur...s=loctite+222ms

Ed

Originally Posted By: old1
I don't know about guns, but on automotive applications, I use red all the time, and have never had any problem getting things back apart again. Of course, I only use it on things that seem to always be coming loose on their own without it.

True! Red loctite has an undeserved reputation. It's just glue and it softens with heat.

Corrosion is far worse than red loctite. I can always get a fastener apart with red.

Originally Posted By: EdwardC
Just curious, any reason you want to start using a threadlocker on your gun? Is something coming loose?

Anything and everything that you bolt to a gun (lights, lasers, scope rings, red dot sights, front sights that are screwed on) should absolutely positively be bolted on with a little bit of blue LocTite. I spend a lot of time on the gun range and almost daily, I'll see some guys scope, red dot, or flash light just fall off the gun. Recoil does a number on fasteners.

Originally Posted By: Cujet
Originally Posted By: old1

True! Red loctite has an undeserved reputation. It's just glue and it softens with heat.

Corrosion is far worse than red loctite. I can always get a fastener apart with red.

Guns use some pretty small fasteners, 1/4 inch and smaller sometimes. Often in aluminum. Often with allen heads, torx heads, or similar. Red is NOT what you want to use for these applications. I've used blue for years on every accessory ever bolted to a gun, with not one problem ever, and still easy enough to remove. On a small fastener, red should be considered permanent, because you will damage the aluminum/screw/bolt applying heat and trying to muscle it off.

Originally Posted By: Ed_Flecko
I've never tried using Loctite on firearm screws, but using Loctite "Blue" seems pretty harmless in the sense that you can still easily remove screws for cleaning/disassembly of individual parts, etc., if/when you need to.

I personally have never used Loctite "Red", which seems a little risky to me because I'm told it can be a real pain to remove screws that have been coated with it, although I see Amazon sells a Loctite Red for guns - https://www.amazon.com/Loctite-Firearm-T...octite+for+guns

What do you think about using Loctite, in general, on your firearm screws? What about using it for pins?

Thank you,
Ed

I've never had a screw come loose on a firearm, so I don't see the need. Perhaps on a magnum rifle scope...but I torque my scope screws with a purpose-made torque wrench and they're good....so...

I wouldn't add stuff that requires heat to remove. At most, perhaps the blue, but never the red. The factory doesn't add it, and, in general, screws don't come loose until the owner messes with them.

What problem are you trying to solve?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back