Can I expect a MPG gain going from 5W40 to 10 W30

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: BoiseRob

For the past 10 years I've run 10w30 in my LBZ Duramax towing 10k pounds up and down Idaho's mountains without any issues. All OTR commercial rigs have been factory filled with 10w30 for a while so what do you mean by "use it like a truck"?

It was the macho factor kicking in. I wondered the same thing and could only conclude that. I think my semi moving a gross of 78,000 lb with 10w30 in the sump is being used as a truck, but now not sure.
lol.gif

Originally Posted By: TiredTrucker
It was the macho factor kicking in. I wondered the same thing and could only conclude that. I think my semi moving a gross of 78,000 lb with 10w30 in the sump is being used as a truck, but now not sure.
lol.gif

TT: Are you running Micron Moly or Supreme 7000? My current fill is #711...

Forgot to mention also, the Schaeffer 711 Synshield OTR Plus CK-4, in both 10w30 and 15w40 varieties, is on the most recent Ford approved oil list. If that means anything to anyone given the recent Ford approval morass. I don't own a Ford.

Originally Posted By: Triton_330
Originally Posted By: dnewton3
That, and Ford's near-schizophrenic lube recommendations leave me shaking my head nowadays.

Uh, what?

I was referring to Ford's "Fear the CK" mentality, and all the "use this, but don't use that, unless this is that, then that is OK for this ..."

It is evolving, but there are still a lot of big players not on there. And, their statements are confusing, probably even internally, too. If you called Ford for clarification 10 times, you'd probably get 11 different answers.

I can only tell you from my experience, YES the 10-30 makes a measurable difference.

I resisted the 10-30 in my 2016 Volvo Semi truck and went back to 15-40 on a few of the PMs ..... Every time i had a decent measurable LOSS in MPG with 15-40 oils.

Now in semi trucks a .4-.6 MPG loss doesn't sound like much but it adds up to big money in a years time.... Plus on startup the 15-40 was very noticeable slower oil pressure and slower cranking speed.

Long story short ... I won't even think about 15-40 in my semi truck anymore !!

10-30s, 5-30s ONLY !!

Originally Posted By: Triton_330
That, and Ford's near-schizophrenic lube recommendations leave me shaking my head nowadays.

Uh, what?

I was referring to Ford's "Fear the CK" mentality, and all the "use this, but don't use that, unless this is that, then that is OK for this ..."

Reading all of the Powerstroke 6.7 threads left me a little bit dizzy, but the main takeaway I got was to use Xw40 oils with at least 1000ppm of Phosphorous.

Last edited:
I converted to 10w-30 years ago with my 6.0 PowerStroke and my current 6.7 PowerStroke has only had 10w-30, currently nearing 61,000 mi.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back