2018 Toyota Camry Oil Requirements 0W-16

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's a link if you want more specs on the engine:
http://newsroom.toyota.co.jp/en/powertrain/engine/

One of the newest tech that sticks out is the variable pressure oil pump. The pump will vary oil pressure depending on engine load and RPM's. The engine would be doing a heavy load at 2,500RPM's and the oil pump would deliver pressure as if a regular engine with a fixed pump pressure would be delivering at 5,500RPM's.

engine_009_en.png

Last edited:
0W-16? Nah, that is way too thin! You need a good 20W-50 to properly lube and protect that engine!

I kid, I kid!

What stores are carrying 0W-16? Maybe its our area, but, when I go to the stores or auto stores, I haven't seen 0w-16. It hasn't gone mainstream yet, maybe. Makes me wonder how many owners will try using 0W-20 or 5W-20, because they think 0W-16 is just too thin. Also, because it might be hard to find for a little while.

Originally Posted By: wemay
Originally Posted By: Shannow
The 0W16 offerings that I've seen to date, I would take in a heartbeat over the unicorn Japanese 0W20s like TGMO.

the 0W16s appear to have very low VII treats to make them much more robust...

I suspect this response was a slight knee-jerk reaction to the 'epic' banter between you and a (now pretty quiet) member who raved about TGMO
smile.gif

For arguments sake, i enjoyed reading both sides.

It's not, IMO. 0w16s are, or can be, synthetic monogrades wich are tested for MRV and CCS. You'll get a very shear resistant oil, in contrast to TGMO and other Japanese 0w20, which were designed to shear quickly to circumvent the SAE viscosity limits.

Listing 0w-16 oils available now:

SOPUS is absent.

Ravenol - only one on Amazon.com right now.
Eneos - get it through NAPA maybe
Castrol
Penrite
Mobil Super 3000
Citgo
Lubrigold (Warren)
Dynamax
Honda Genuine
Toyota Genuine
Nissan Genuine
Nulon
Sunoco
C A Oil
AMG Venola
Motul
Rowe
EuroLub
JB German
Mitasu
Any 0w20 in a car with leaky fuel injectors or on purpose 5% fuel diluted.

https://passenger.lubrizoladditives360.c...ear-challenges/

Last edited:
So in reality 0W-16 is a better oil than 0W-20? It's interesting to see that the best multigrade oils turn out to be more like monogrades. In my Mobil 1 thread, several people commented that Mobil 1 HM 10W-30 was almost passable as a synthetic SAE 30, as it appears to have very low, or possibly no, VII, kind of like Delo 15W-30.

The 0W16 offerings that I've seen to date, I would take in a heartbeat over the unicorn Japanese 0W20s like TGMO.

I suspect this response was a slight knee-jerk reaction to the 'epic' banter between you and a (now pretty quiet) member who raved about TGMO
smile.gif

People are always reading into my posts intentions that which they want to...and it's got SFA to do with that thread thanks very much...

Look back, and you can see that a LOOOONG time ago, I praised the Ravenol 0W16 as being essentially a monograde, and that with minimal VII that the Japanese 0W20 concept (they have bolstered VII treat rate to get an oil with the kinematics of the then J300 with a high shear rate viscometry that suited their purpose)...

e.g.

https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3871970/Is_Fuel_Economy_Hiding_in_J300

https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3764416/Re:_0W-16_Seq_IVA,_VIII,_IIIG,#Post3764416

Originally Posted By: A_Harman
And the Temporary Shear Ratio is: really close to 1.0. Had to make an assumption about the density because it's not on the spec sheet. But I doubt that it will shear out of grade. With the low TBN, it doesn't seem like an oil for longer than 5-6k mile change intervals. Ravenol did a good job of formulating it for low volatility.

Found the density here
http://www.ravenol.de/en/products/usage/...-sae-0w-16.html

And you are right, so close to 1 that the 156 VI makes sense if it's all basestock, and nearly no VII.

On this metric, and the published testing, I'd actually rate this oil better than TGMO (the mobil made one, not the other three), chances are that the 2.4 HTHS will basically stay there.

Not that I've got a vehicle that would take TGMO, and certainly not the Australian version.

Note also that they (the Japanese OEMs) only sought relief from the high temperature deposit testing for their 0W20s, and that grade only.

anyway, back to people making up their mind on what my motivations are...

Has there been a design change that necessitates 0w16? I would run it if I saw some engineering drawings indicating smaller bearing clearances or something. If no I will continue to run a 10w-30 in everything.

Cafe can bite me

smile.gif

People are always reading into my posts intentions that which they want to...and it's got SFA to do with that thread thanks very much...

Look back, and you can see that a LOOOONG time ago, I praised the Ravenol 0W16 as being essentially a monograde, and that with minimal VII that the Japanese 0W20 concept (they have bolstered VII treat rate to get an oil with the kinematics of the then J300 with a high shear rate viscometry that suited their purpose)...

...just giving you a hard time.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: SilverFusion2010
Has there been a design change that necessitates 0w16? I would run it if I saw some engineering drawings indicating smaller bearing clearances or something. If no I will continue to run a 10w-30 in everything.

Cafe can bite me

It's just for fuel economy.

Since I'm really lazy, I'll ask you if you can share the HTHS minimums for the two grades.

Yes, I know you just said that. Why do you hope it will last 200k? Will you be buying one and using 0w16 in it?

SAE HTHS mins:

16: 2.3
20: 2.6

This is as of 2015. I don't know if there has been a revision since then.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27

Since I'm really lazy, I'll ask you if you can share the HTHS minimums for the two grades.

Originally Posted By: Kibitoshin
Here's a link if you want more specs on the engine:
http://newsroom.toyota.co.jp/en/powertrain/engine/

One of the newest tech that sticks out is the variable pressure oil pump. The pump will vary oil pressure depending on engine load and RPM's. The engine would be doing a heavy load at 2,500RPM's and the oil pump would deliver pressure as if a regular engine with a fixed pump pressure would be delivering at 5,500RPM's.

engine_009_en.png

Maybe I've got this wrong, but if the oil pump is destined to produce a certain oil pressure at a given load/rpm, wouldn't using an oil heavier than 0w-16 result in reduced oil flow? If that's the case, varying from 0w-16 seems like a really bad idea. But I'm sure someone here will correct me...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back