wish I had a boost gauge

Status
Not open for further replies.
My '17 Jetta 1.4t has almost 750 miles on it now, so far so good. I do wish it had a boost gauge on it like my old SAAB 900 turbo did...I don't necessarily care about numbers on the gauge but the green, orange, red colors were visual indicators enough. I just can't really tell what the turbo is doing...don't hear any whistle or feel a kick in the back, it's invisible to me. Even the 2000 Beetle Turbo that my ex-wife had made it OBVIOUS when it was on boost...

Yes they quiet them down with special intakes and Bypass Valves instead of Blow Off valves. Now some cars come with Sound Induction tubes that transfer intake noise to the cabin.

Got an Android phone? Get the Torque app.

It shouldn't be too difficult to find a vacuum port to tap a boost gauge to. If you really want to nerd out and to keep tabs on your turbo, installing an EGT gauge wouldn't be a bad idea but the hard part is finding a place to tap the thermocouple into near the turbo's exhaust outlet.

You wouldn't want one VW would put on there.

My aunt had a 2013 Beetle TDI and it had a fake boost gauge that would read something like over 35 psi of turbo boost at 1/3 throttle.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994

My aunt had a 2013 Beetle TDI and it had a fake boost gauge that would read something like over 35 psi of turbo boost at 1/3 throttle.

It is correct, and is the nature of a diesel with a variable geometry turbo. The 2.0TDI will regularly see 35-36 psi absolute pressure / 22-23 psi relative pressure.

Originally Posted By: rooflessVW

It is correct, and is the nature of a diesel with a variable geometry turbo. The 2.0TDI will regularly see 35-36 psi absolute pressure / 22-23 psi relative pressure.
Interesting. The VW dealer mechanic is the one who told me it was fake, he was driving it with me in the passenger seat while searching for an unrelated problem.

Originally Posted By: rooflessVW

Interesting. The VW dealer mechanic is the one who told me it was fake, he was driving it with me in the passenger seat while searching for an unrelated problem.

He probably didn't understand the difference between absolute and relative pressure, or how to check the right measured value. It's easy to write it off as "fake" when you don't understand it the data or aren't looking at the correct data.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back