Airbus A400M Paris Airshow "Preflight"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: AZjeff
The F35s are grounded at Luke AFB, the training base at Glendale Az, because the pilots are experiencing low oxygen situations during training flights.
not

Many Moons ago my wife and I were staying at a resort in Phoenix and we went on a hay ride to a cookout/bonfire on a knoll overlooking the flightline at Luke. We watched F15's come and go screaming in burner repeatedly as the day turned to dusk, one of those desert sundowns where everything gets RED! For somebody who likes airplanes it was a day/night to remember.

That OBOGS issue on the F35's is maddening. I know better than to say the following but I'll play the dummy and say it anyway - How hard can it be to figure this out?

Originally Posted By: Danno
What does it do better, different than the C-130?

The A400 can carry almost double the payload of the C130 faster & further. Contrary to the C130 it is able to carry APCs, IFVs, self-propelled artillery and medium helicopters.

Or time for a jet cargo plane at some point ... seems Airbus does not dominate that market ...

Originally Posted By: DeepFriar
The F35s are grounded at Luke AFB, the training base at Glendale Az, because the pilots are experiencing low oxygen situations during training flights.
not

What part of that sentence is "not"? F35s are a big deal at Luke and when they ground them it makes the Phx news repeatedly.

Originally Posted By: DeepFriar
not

What part of that sentence is "not"? F35s are a big deal at Luke and when they ground them it makes the Phx news repeatedly.

I saw that too. Must be a cut off tidbit of another post. I certainly didn't put it there nor do I disagree with you. Sorry for the confusion.

After hoovering up all the flight show demos that I can find this year I'd have to say I was most impressed by the Dassault Rafale. Not a "new" entry but in comparison to the Lockheed F-35 and Sukhoi SU-35 it is the one I would least like to meet in a knife fight. The SU-35 has that easy grace the F-14 had and both it and the F-35 would approach a fight differently than would the Rafale but that little Dassault is a thrill to watch. And talk about knife fights, the Russian coax helicopter gunship (Alligator?) is another nightmare if you don't have local air superiority (helicopter ejection seats too!).

I still find the A400 impressive and a noteworthy accomplishment (very much in the Antonov tradition with those big turboprops) but can't help but wonder if economically and operationally the users would have been better off with the C-17. It's another unfortunately very expensive Airbus "national (Euro) pride", jobs program that will lose money on every one built just like the A380,among others, and will never even break even. Still, it is a lovely thing to look at if you like your airplanes Reubenesque (and all loggies do
banana2.gif
).

Nice memorial flight by that little-sung hero the Hawker Hurricane, helicopters doing things they shouldn't and even a glider here and there, the fun never stops. I've never been to the show, was always just outranked, but it's got pride of place on my bucket list. I can't think of another place that has so much human ingenuity on display and we humans are most ingenious when it comes to killing each other aren't we......

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back