Front struts for Hyudai Elantra 2005

Status
Not open for further replies.
As I live in Hawaii, decently priced auto parts are hard to come by online as the shipping from the mainland is off the wall. I found some decently priced struts on Amazon.com, with PRIME free shipping... the brand is OREDY... manufactured in China by Gaatu company. Can't find any reviews online.. Opinions? Thanks

NO!!! Those are junk.

Cheapest ones I would use are KYB or Monroes/Gaberials good line. Check Rockauto or if amazon has any of those brands with prime.

OEM's from dealer are very expensive. If I order from a mainland shipper, the shipping alone is $125... Could someone please comment the downside of these cheaper aftermarket struts? What does "junk " exactly mean?

Originally Posted By: bardos
OEM's from dealer are very expensive. If I order from a mainland shipper, the shipping alone is $125... Could someone please comment the downside of these cheaper aftermarket struts? What does "junk " exactly mean?

The no name junk ones go after about a year even if they have a lifetime warranty which most don't. You only put them in if you're selling the car or getting rid of it in a couple of months. Otherwise you're better off with a manufacturer that offers a lifetime warranty, but you usually have to pay to ship it back. They're usually a lot more at the local store even when using coupon codes at Advance Auto.

The go bad after a short while think less than 30k. So you have to remove, install news ones, and then get another alignment again.

If this was a easy to swap part that did not require an alignment then I say go for it. But struts and other suspension parts never get the no name/cheap Chinese ones.

In this case paying extra for shipping could be worthwhile. If your going to install them yourself-you will need a wheel alignment. If off-brand shocks go out prematurely-you will need another wheel alignment. There is most of your shipping costs already.

Last edited:
I see your points made about quality of parts. I didn't know about the needed wheel alignment. I did plan to do the job myself as it looks easy from youtube tutorials and wheel alignment was never mentioned. I checked Rockauto, shipping to Hawaii is pretty much off the wall. Checking out that Amazon link, thanks. I'll see if at the final window they comment "does not ship to Hawaii" or they add large shipping charge.

Edit, oh, I wanted to buy the struts whole, with springs etc...

Last edited:
Monroe, KYB, and Gabriel quick struts are much better. They're good for at least 50k and have a lifetime warranty. Monroe's warranty even covers wear. Cheap Chinese struts rarely last beyond 10k.

If you can wait another 6 weeks or so, they run their annual fall rebate promos buy 3 get 1 free after rebate (September-October). This makes them more competitive in price to cheap Chinese struts.

If you can't wait that long, you should still get the name-brand struts. And if even those ar too expensive, at least get the Monroe Econo-Matics. They're not as good as Monroe's premium quick struts, but still better than Chinese (Econo-Matics might make it to 30k, but they have no warranty)

You'll definitely need an alignment. Changing the struts/springs changes the ride height, which changes the toe.

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
Monroe, KYB, and Gabriel quick struts are much better. They're good for at least 50k and have a lifetime warranty. Monroe's warranty even covers wear. Cheap Chinese struts rarely last beyond 10k.

If you can wait another 6 weeks or so, they run their annual fall rebate promos buy 3 get 1 free after rebate (September-October). This makes them more competitive in price to cheap Chinese struts.

If you can't wait that long, you should still get the name-brand struts. And if even those ar too expensive, at least get the Monroe Econo-Matics. They're not as good as Monroe's premium quick struts, but still better than Chinese (Econo-Matics might make it to 30k, but they have no warranty)

I can definitely wait. How would I become aware of the Monroe autumn sale?

It will be advertised on Monroe's site as well as any site or store that sells Monroe shocks
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog

It will be advertised on Monroe's site as well as any site or store that sells Monroe shocks
smile.gif

thanks

So far cheapest I have seen is AutoZone... comes out to $333 for two complete front struts-- Gabriels

Last edited:
Wow, edit that: there's a 20% off coupon, so now it's down to $266 for the Gabriel front struts on AutoZone...

Gabriel runs those rebate promos too, so when September comes, you can stack that 20% off with the rebate from Gabriel. The total price for all four after the rebate and AZ discount will be $352
smile.gif

Found a deal on Autoanything.com... I got the ULTRA Gabriel front readymounts for $275 which includes shipping to Hawaii... Shipping to Hawai'i is always expensive. To the mainland it would have been about $45 cheaper with free shipping

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back